2.08.2012

Words and stones

It is not about truth. Rather about trust. Not about facts. Rather about done and believes because facts are made by actions and interpretations. I don`t say truth is unimportant and am aware that some facts are just facts - something you can see and touch, something public nobody can deny. What happen inside a man - or woman - is different. You can just get it by his/her words. If he or her decides to tell, to put that inside outside in words, giving it away to interpretations, understanding, misunderstandig, deny, judgement, support, pain and love.  
Words have nothing to do with truth, really: nothing. You say something somebody usually because you want something to happen. Take the time to think about and you will see 90% is like that. So when you listen or read somebody`s words you wonder: what is he about? what does he want? Moreover when words used looks both chosen and not completely transparent. What should transpar through words? an intenction? a soul? what do we need to understand? special skills? empathy? 
We have already got an opinion about the subject when we listen or read usually and that leads our interpretation inadvertenly. I don`t want to sound soppy, but you need to love somebody to be able to get his/her words without judging, giving credit, feeling ready to change your mind. As well as philosophy and love, reporting isn`t a safe job: you must be ready to get involved, upset, troubled and still detached. Passion makes you will to understand and the will to understand maks you able to master your passion.
I don`t share the sick interest for doping cases I see so often in cycling media. It seems the most of people think that doping is a moral scandal they have no problem to judge OR that doping is something normal they - again and cynicly - have no problem to judge. Well, I do. I must admit I have problem to judge doping. I am more incline to be worried then scadalized. I feel the bigest moral issue here is hypocrisy: we want riders to be epic AND clean as if the rubbish was just by one side. We clap to the no nails policy and don`t give a damn about how riders can keep facing 300 km stages, 3 weeks races, 5 KOMs a day, in the freezing cold or in the killing heat, racing even when sick or injuried. We are amazed and pleased. Wow! great! heroes! Few are ready to accept shorter races and less hard routes.
Points of view are important. I mean: the point from where you watch and how close you are to what you are watching. Everybody know that the show is different on the stage and behinde it. Not because of sick secrets but just because behinde you see the brutal mechanism that makes the show possible. Go everyday to watch an athlete training, since morning to night, follow his daily routine. It is a drag, a pure drag. It has nothing to do with thrilling and it is nothing natural. A top athlete life is something completely artificial where almost all is scheduled and programmed, thought more or less scentifically. That is scaring and fascinating.
I don`t say I believe Landis or I don`t, that doesn`t really matter. I got impressed by the similarity in words of different persons involved in doping cases in a way or in an other. People linked to doping say that it was - is? - a system, that they trusted on their team or even accepted things blind eyes because that was - is? - the rule if you want to play that game. People all around say they are sorry or even furious because of doping allegations or even sentences, that ´it is bad for cycling`.
"I clearly remember that feeling of disappointment because I loved that the story is true." Those words by Landis impressed me the most because... we ALL love the beautiful story is true. We know - who more who less - what it costs and we are ready to defend it. The beautiful story of cycling. The desperate story of stolen kids dreams. But kids seem to know that the best way to be faithful to their dream is just to give it away and accept all.
Read then, don`t judge. Read as if it was about somebody you love. Words can be stones.

ARMSTRONG CASE
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-wants-to-put-armstrong-investigation-behind-it UCI
UCI: "We took notice of the announcement in relation to the conclusion of the investigation. We are obviously very happy to learn it, bearing in mind how much cycling has suffered over the last two years, especially in terms of image and credibility," UCI President Pat McQuaid said. "I think our sport didn’t deserve it – just like in many other similar situations – and today I can only say that the past is finally behind us. We just want now keep looking forward to the bright future of cycling!”

Johan Bruyneel: "A good friend of mine told me this last week and it's so true: "Wisdom consist in knowing what to overlook."
 
Hayden Roulston: "Lance's investigation is finished... That is good for cycling!"

CONTADOR CASE
http://www.tas-cas.org/d2wfiles/document/5648/5048/0/FINAL20AWARD202012.02.06.pdf
http://www.uci.ch

The UCI acknowledges the decision of the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) to impose a suspension of 2 years on the rider Alberto Contador following the UCI’s appeal, brought in conjunction with the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA), in the case concerning the Spanish cyclist.
 
In rejecting the defence argument, in particular that the presence of clenbuterol in Alberto Contador's urine sample came from the consumption of contaminated meat, today's ruling confirms the UCI's position.
 
However, the UCI has not derived a sense of satisfaction from the CAS ruling, but rather welcomes the news as the end of a long-running affair that has been extremely painful for cycling.
 

Without wanting to enter into the details of the ruling, UCI President Pat McQuaid said: "This is a sad day for our sport. Some may think of it as a victory, but that is not at all the case. There are no winners when it comes to the issue of doping: every case, irrespective of its characteristics, is always a case too many."

The UCI will not issue any further comments on the matter.


Merckx: "It’s a sad day for Alberto Contador; it's a sad day for cycling. I think people want to kill off cycling. I think we’re going too far. The level of the control was incredibly low, and it’s only in cycling that this kind of thing can happen... It’s a terrible thing. Alberto Contador’s won a lot of  competitions, not just the Tour de France; the Giro d’Italia, we’ve seen the way he rode the Giro last year, he doesn’t deserve this. I’m the first to say that we need good anti-doping tests but I think that in cycling they go too far.”

Andy Schleck: “There is no reason to be happy now. First of all I feel sad for Alberto. I always believed in his innocence. This is just a very sad day for cycling. The only positive news is that there is a verdict after 566 days of uncertainty. We can finally move on."


KITTEL CASE
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/exclusive-kittel-describes-the-hardest-day-of-his-life
"I was 18 and there was never a doubt that I could be doing something wrong. I did my training there and I was coached there. I also went to that doctor. I was told if I was ill or sick to go to him and I did that. He gave me some advice and then said we could do the UV treatment. Of course it sounds strange but in that moment I trusted him. I did it a few times and I asked him, is this doping and he replied, no it is not. Then I did it a few times more and then in 2008 I stop using it. That's what happened."

BANI CASE
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bani-says-team-doped-him-without-his-knowledge
“I never took substances myself. Team representatives forced me constantly to take the substances. I was frequently injected with liquids. I was told they were important for my recovery from races.” “The only people who were giving me things were from the team. The fact is you have to trust the team. That is the system. Otherwise there is no place for you, either there or in any other team. I am convinced that this is the case in many if not all youth teams.” Once a week he was given injections. "They said they were vitamins, were taken out of the refrigerator, already packaged in syringes. I have asked many times what was inside and always reassured me: tonics to regain strength. In the end what should you do? You trust them.” "What has happened to me can happen to anyone. I am convinced that I was not the only one who took the substance unwittingly. Only I have tested positive."

LANDIS CASE
http://neilbrowne.com/2011/03/the-paul-kimmage-floyd-landis-interview/ 
(bad translation I know, not by me)
"If I had not had good reason to believe that Pereiro was also boosted – and, for once, I was absolutely certain – I had the feeling of cheating, but I knew he doped, I had seen with my eyes. (...) The hypocrisy was probably the worst situation I faced during the past four years. His (Pereiro) lies do not bother me, but I did not want him showing me the finger and saying that I had stolen the victory."

"I did not like that cycling has become a sport where you had to do all this, I never liked the bad policies that were implemented, I never liked the fact that we are forced to resort to doping. I should not say that my objection was moral, because I accepted this, but it was not something I was proud. At this point, it only became a challenge: “OK, let’s see if I can achieve the goal I set myself, but in any event, it will not change what I am in my heart."

"I stopped worrying about me not because I did not tell the truth, but I stopped worrying about me because I absolutely could not do anything about it."

"It was rather repulsive that I wondered how it was possible that so many people accept it as it was. I did not know that in a given system – in this case, cycling, that is to say a very structured and important – leaders could actually handle it all. I did not think was possible. I could not get used to the idea. I could not understand why so many people are willing to take the risk of getting caught. It turned out that not only people were willing to take that risk, but everyone was there, at least those who had some power. I was not expecting this. I do not expect that people openly criticizing the whole system and saying they were there to find a solution were actually those who pulled the strings."

"As I said, the 2001 season should be a pivotal year for Mercury with the arrival of new sponsor, Viatel, but it was a complete fiasco. We’ve been paid for three months and it was then that I had for the first time in trouble with the UCI [International Cycling Union, the governing body for cycling sport] me essentially says: “We do not care rules.We we’re like that. ”

"I always tried to get this money when I started running with Lance, and at one point I said to Tim Maloney Cyclingnews – at that time I was under contract from the U.S. Postal two, three months – I was sad to see that the UCI had not respected its own rules. Verbruggen called Lance and asked him to remove my comments and apologize to Cyclingnews. It is in this context … I started talking about doping and Lance gave me advice me on how Ferrari worked. We were doing training rides together. It was during one of these trips he told me: “Listen, Floyd, we need you to do what this guy asks you because we’re going to need his services. That’s something that happened before. I tested positive in 2001 at the Tour of Switzerland and I had to ask a favor. No matter if what you say is true. I believe you, I’m sure you’re telling the truth, I’m sure they did not follow rules, but it did not matter. You have no choice. You must present your apologies. I said “OK. I did not know how it worked, but it’s understood. This is the first time I hear about someone who gets paid to clear a positive test, but I do not need to know more. If this is the kind of support I need, for sure I’m not going to make insulting the guy who can offer support"

"I did not do that because I was forced to do so, I did it because I understood the situation perfectly. I said “Sorry or not, I must apologize” because now I know how the UCI. The fact that at the highest level is the shots left me two choices: either stop and say nothing or accept this mode of operation and try to work my way in the middle of it all."

"In fact, everything starts from there. If I had the feeling that people involved in the operation of the sport really wanted to bring order, it may be that I am told that waited long enough I can win without resorting doping, but for me there was no way I can run the Tour de France and win one day being clean. Yes, yes, everything starts from there."

"Nobody forced me to do, but given the circumstances, we almost made the decisions for me …"

"He (Armstrong) behaved like a nobody and we were served a different story … a great story – that of a guy who motivates people and gives them hope. I clearly remember that feeling of disappointment because I loved that the story is true."

"I told myself that the only way to have the heart net was to tell him (Bruyneel)  I was ready for anything.
I wanted to be sure to have time to sober reflection."

"I’ll try to explain the context of this lack of guilt. I felt at that time I had really advanced. I was going to compete in the Tour de France and all that stood before me was quite interesting. I did not want to look back. I never found as close to the goal and time was no longer thinking. In fact, it was already a done deal for me. I had already accepted this situation."

"There is no way to restore order there. I will not go to the UCI to tell them, since it is they themselves who are corrupt."

I don`t say I believe Landis and maybe he really has got personal problems but doping exists, he doped and many others did. Doping has been a BIG problem for cycling and for sport in general. Is it better now? I believe so. But since when kids are ready to all... since they believe they MUST be ready to all... they are esposed to anything and anything can happen.

No comments: