3.10.2012

Dream races

Nice: Pic by Chris Slark@5lark1
I fell asleep. I was dreaming about the beautiful beach of Nice maybe but I can't remember. The last image of the live streaming showed the sea, the sand, the mountains on the background, the crowd still at the barriers waiting for the last riders, clapping Levi Leipheimer arriving after a personal day long fight against the bad luck (crashed 3 times!), watching the podium cerimony with Thomas De Gendt victorious in front of the breakaway mate Taaramae and 10 minutes ahead the peloton. No worries for Wiggins leadership: he rode in front with all his guard just before the sprint for the 3th place (Degenkolb). Monfort is 6th in GC now because Leipheimer had an off day. The off day is something that can always happen but it's harder to stand when you are fine but get involved in unavoidable troubles. No troubles for De Gendt: all worked perfectly for him. 
Horner in blue Pic by RSNT
Not so for Horner in Tirreno-Adriatico but still it was a great race: on the muer of Chieti he was in front, piloted by an outstanding Cancellara, then solo with the best climbers in the bunch.
A small group sprint atop a climb, like in Huy. Nibali attacked with Sagan but couldn't keep the speed. Sagan got it immediately and open the gas to secure the victory to Team Liquigas. Kreuziger was second: he's doing well this year! 4th DiLuca and 5th Horner: “In the final to the line I accidentally shifted from the big chain ring to the small one and my hands were cramping up so I couldn’t get it back up to do the sprint, leaving me to just spin the cranks at 130rpms to the finish, all the while losing ground.”  Horner laughed and added, “Even if I could’ve shifted back I wouldn’t have won the sprint, but maybe I would have been up a little further.”  Anyway that was enought to got the leader jersey. It's blue. 
Cameron Meyer is still wearing the white one: "Nothing like finishing up a wall after 7 and half hours of racing." he tweeted "Thanks to my @_GreenEDGE_ team mates for keeping me up there." He's the best young rider in the race and one of the best ones in the peloton. The rider I like the most after Andy Schleck so today I'm perfectly happy.
Cameron Meyer White Jersey in TA
I wonder if Andy watched some cycling today. A finish like that was also for a rider like him. Too short, I know. But you could say the same for Nibali or for Kreuziger, Tour de France racers who like long steep climbs, the Alpes or the Pyrennes. Neverthless they were fighting atop there and it's March. In Paris-Nice Andy said he wanted to do well. That sickness it's a pity. I'd like to know how he is now, if he feels better and is back on his bike or still too weak or with fever. They say nothing... I asked and he didn't reply. I'm sure he's happy for Horner's result and eager to race again. Somebody say in Volta a Catalunya that starts on the 17th. Too far away for me and given I hardly will go to the Classics this year... it's going to be a long waiting. 
BDW
I'm still sick me too but today I forced myself to ride my bike during my son's training. It was cold and awfully windy. I resisted just 15 minutes. But it was also sunny and Tuskany is lovely in this period of the year, in the early spring. Fields are still light green, woods just begin to be alive again and the river shines while rapid clouds cross the intense blue sky. I'd like to show you that like in a dream...

2 comments:

Angelique said...

Just read on cycling news that Andy is back on his bike and will do the Volta Catalunya. Iagree with you. It's another week of waiting!!!

Angelique said...

Just read on cycling news that Andy is back on his bike and will do the Volta Catalunya. Iagree with you. It's another week of waiting!!!