3.18.2012

My Milano San Remo

I drive my Kangoo trying to follow the team car launched across the country: damn they are fast! I even told: "Hey! don't drop me!" We left via Chiantigiana few kms ago, no more traffic here, almost a dirty road up and down the beautiful hills of Tuskany, covered in olive trees, vineyards and blooming fruit trees, like rosy or white clouds in the middle of a field. Lonely and sunny under a perfect blue sky. But I have no time to enjoy the landsacape: like a sprinter in Milano-San Remo I get dropped in the climbs and come back in the descents taking some risk. My car is heavy, the team car seems to fly. Finally they turn inside an industrial area and stop.
- You make me miss San Remo! - I tell my son's DS Giacomo and Mario - We miss it too - they reply - But you moved the training session to the afternoon! - I protest. - Didn't you bring your bike? -, - I bring my phone! I want to follow Milano-San Remo! -. 
So the little brave riders get ready and I take my place at at corner to control the traffic: factories are all closed on Saturday, we are far away from villages and the first house is kms away. Traffic include: a whole family in a blue small car teaching a girl how to drive it, two children on rollerblades, a woman training to drive a scooter. I stand on the corner and advise our peloton if somebody is coming. Meanwhile I check Twitter  to see what is going on in San Remo.
OPQS says: "About 120km covered, 178km remaining, and we're hearing the gap is at about 14 minutes (it says 13'20" on one race ticker) #MSR"  How long that race is... From the cold early morning in Milano to the sunny afternoon by the sea side. I have never been at the finish but once I was at the start: everybody in the large caffĂ© in piazza Castello, drinking cappuccino, talking cycling in all the languages of the world, pink passes on warmy jaket and la Gazzetta open on every table. Then the crowd at the barriers to see the incolonnamento: sleepy champions smiling before the unofficial start. From here to Passo del Turchino it's a first race, then a second one begins. 178 km to go and the daily break has got an enormous advantage. It's a long way to San Remo yet.
the Inner Ring says: "Cavendish dropped on Le Manie whilst Liquigas set the pace at the front of the bunch." That's a news!! "So yesterdays race gets filed in my #worstdaysofmycareer list." he will tweet "Something was VERY wrong. No explanation, but I let down an incredible group." His team worked hard to bring him back to the front but no way.
Mario passing asks: - What's on? -, - Cavendish dropped -, - Wow -
OPQS: "Gap way down to 3'45"! #MSR " The peloton set a fast pace, the break is almost over, the most of sprinters can't follow and who can prepare the first attacks. My son has a flat... and sits in the team car waiting to avoid a cold. In the sun is hot, in the shadow you feel it's March. 
OPQS: "There is a rider down, they are saying it is Quintero. We'll try and confirm. Medical personnel around him. #MSR" He had his collarbone brocken but nothing more. Fortunately the weather is good: bad weather often means lots of bad crashes and a hell in the descent.
the Inner Ring: "They've done the hard part of the Cipressa, reached the village of Costarainera. Hoogerland drives whilst Villa tries to hold his wheel." The training is over, we drive back to Florence: I have a date.
The race is coming to a end and I'm geting a new tatto. The fisrt one is on my left wrist: a simple A. This one is an hedgehog, on my right side: my son drew it so it represents him and also myself because the hedgehog is my totemic animal. I like it: hard outside it's soft inside and when attacked it closes itself like a ball cuting the worls away... a bit like me :) When you see an hedgehog it means the place is uncontaminated because in case of pollution it's the first one to die or to leave. In add it's a funny nice thing and I used to play with them in the country when I was a child. I love my tatto!
To get it is painful thought... The skin is sensitive on the side. I have to focus and to not breath if not I move and drowing get wasted. I remember very well the day I got my first tattoo: I thought I never do such a thing but I that A was always on my wrist, I used to drow it by penn so finally I decided. "Did you think about?" the tattoo woman asked me when I told her my story. "I did, I'm sure I will never regret". In fact I don't even if since that I deeply changed my mind: it represents an important age of my life, a turn point. I wasn't what I am whitout. But I moved on from there, like the hedgehog looking for a better place.
Back home:
RSNT: "Cancellara takes second place behind winner Simon Gerrans. Excellent riding - so much work from Fabian."
OPQS: "@Milano_Sanremo: 1) Simon Gerrans 2) Fabian Cancellara 3) Vincenzo Nibali #msr"
Daniel Benson: "Not sure why people are saying Gerrans stole the win from Cancellara. He rode a very tactical race. End of."
Simon Gerrans  "Speechless... Or should I say tweetless. I can't believe I won Milan-San Remo!"
Andre Greipel: "2 words...bad luck. @Lotto_Belisol wanted to show a good race but jelle and me we get caught behind the crash on top of cipressa #gameover"
Biarnes "#msr Gerrans se llevo 20 000 €, Cancellara 10 000 € y Nibali 5 000 € #ciclismo #€€€€
Fabian Cancellara (only today): "Thanks for all the birthday wishes i get.Dont worry had more than the cake here.Enjoyed big family/friends brunch For the race yesterday there is not more to say about.Thanks for all the fingercrossing and supporting from all kind of places the world"
My opinion:
Fabian did a great San Remo. To win he should have dropped Gerrans and gone solo to the finish. Gerrans stay cold and rode a tactical race, as D.Benson said. That's allowed. Nibali looked unable to help more then unwilling to collaborate. Gerrans knew that Cancellara couldn't stop to force them: the peloton would have caught them. We already saw that last year (http://allezandy.blogspot.it/2011/04/paris-roubaix-im-not-going-to-do-all.html) when Cancellara simply stoped. He lost that race. That's cycling.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i didn't get your twitter message

Anonymous said...

i didn't get your twitter message

Ilaria said...

Which one? and who are you? :)

Anonymous said...

santi