3.07.2012

Paris-Nice 3: results and RSNT press release

Andy suffering in stage 2
I didn't see it: all day at school I left at 6 am and came back home at 7 pm. Lessons, meetings and lots of hours on the train. I'm exhauseted and have a suspicion that didn't suit my anemy. Anyway I just read the results on today Gazzetta. Mondort 7th (5th in GC) is a good news. Andy Schleck retired isn't good at all. "RSNT rider suffers from acute gastroenteritis" the press release says. Not nice! and no Nice. "Already yesterday (on Monday) before the stage, Andy didn’t feel good”, explains Team Director Alain Gallopin. "He was able to finish the stage but that costed a lot of energy. This morning Andy felt better, but in the bus he got stomach problems and high temperature again. That’s why we decided not to let him take the start, while not being healthy." “I really wanted to try”, says Andy Schleck. “But against sickness you cannot do a lot. I need to let my body recover from this. This is bad news, I wanted to perform well in Paris-Nice, but I better not jeopardize the rest of the season. My goals are situated later in the season.
It's really sad. When I saw Andy's delay in stage 2 I thought there was something wrong: it wasn't nrmal even if he lost the decisive move and was left behinde in the last group. 10 minutes were too much. Andy often suffers for stomach problems in his first races - last year in Mallorca - but it looks something more serious this time. An 'acute gastroenteritis' can have many causes...
The race itself is very hard and beatiful this year and RSNT could try to get a podium spot by Monfort. The GC top 5 are strong opponents and we will see great things in the next days. Today I slept. Let me check the streaming.... maybe they are on the road yet.
This morning at dawn I sent Andy an sms to wish him to get well soon. He's an healty strong guy but I am a little worried for his morale. Important goals are later, that's true. It takes few training to get fit again for him. Racing days left althought are a pity and to stay sick at home in the midle of the season is frustrating. I will be sick at home tomorrow: will take the opportunity to watch the finish in Mende. But it will be frustrating without my favourite rider...
  Stage
1 Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Movistar Team 4:36:19  
2 Simon Gerrans (Aus) GreenEdge Cycling Team    
3 Gianni Meersman (Bel) Lotto-Belisol Team    
4 Luis Leon Sanchez Gil (Spa) Rabobank Cycling Team    
5 Xavier Florencio Cabre (Spa) Katusha Team    
6 Eros Capecchi (Ita) Liquigas-Cannondale    
7 Maxime Monfort (Bel) RadioShack-Nissan    
8 Jonathan Hivert (Fra) Saur-Sojasun    
9 Francesco Gavazzi (Ita) Astana Pro Team    
10 Lieuwe Westra (Ned) Vacansoleil-DCM

GC
1 Bradley Wiggins (GBr) Sky Procycling 9:09:51  
2 Levi Leipheimer (USA) Omega Pharma-Quick Step 0:00:06  
3 Tejay Van Garderen (USA) BMC Racing Team 0:00:11  
4 Sylvain Chavanel (Fra) Omega Pharma-Quick Step 0:00:14  
5 Maxime Monfort (Bel) RadioShack-Nissan 0:00:18  
6 Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Movistar Team 0:00:20  
7 Lieuwe Westra (Ned) Vacansoleil-DCM 0:00:22  
8 Jose Joaquin Rojas Gil (Spa) Movistar Team 0:00:29  
9 Simon Spilak (Slo) Katusha Team 0:00:33  
10 Robert Kiserlovski (Cro) Astana Pro Team 0:00:36  
11 Francesco Gavazzi (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:00:44  

No comments: