11.11.2012

Paint it, orange!

Lars Van der Haar gained today his first pro podium spot in Hamme-Zogge Superprestige cyclocross. That made my day. I didn't think I was back to write here. I was feeling too bad. I still feel bad and don't see how it really could change. Today - and since a while - I was dragging myself around in a miserable state with no hope at all and a lot of pain, with a lot of memories and no more future, alive just because I have no choice and so in need of something good I whould accept it by anybody. I was waiting for the cyclocross race like for morphine: ah, let me dream a little! and not a dream I must pay with tears when I wake up... A good cycling race, thrilling, classy, breathtaking. Two hours away.
That was. That has been. And I must thank Lars Van der Haar who made it amazing again. I could write it less personal, I know. But why should I? It has been a great race FOR ME. I forgot my darkness till when it lasted and it was all painted orange for that time. Allez!
Van der Haar repeated his aggresive start, showed once again he's able to spin faster than all the rest of the bunch. He spins faster, using a shorter gear, dancing on his pedals and putting the weight in front. He's good in taking corners, better than many others, he's strong on carring his bike atop climbs and stairs, he has got no fear in descending and all the guts you need to go away with Pauwels or Albert or Nys and to keep attaking them till the end. He has got a huge talent and also a lucky star: today he was in the front group again when Albert first and then Pauwels got a mechanic trouble. Albert was able to come back and fight, Pauwels couldn't. Sven Nys left the party and took another solid solo win. Van der Haar never got dropped, even when atop a climb he almost fell and had to stop. In the last laps he was glued to Albert's wheel, they chased Nys together improving the gap to Aernouts and Pauwels. It was amazing to see the young Dutch in the wake of the World Champion: focused, intent and strong. At the last lap though Albert opened the gas and left him behinde. When he turned back crossing the line he looked stunned to see Van der Haar sprinting not so far from him. That's class.
Without Pauwels's mechanica podium place would have been harder for Van der Haar but it has been not a gift: he well deserved it. And even without it his race would have been great. I got impressed by his coolness: before the start he looked so younger amongh the others, on the podium and after, interviwed, he didn't seem particularly moved. He's a World Champion, that's true, but still he's born in the 1991: Sven Nys in 1976, Niels Albert in 1986, Bart Aernouts in 1982, Kevin Pauwels in 1984, just to give you an idea.
He's on twitter if you want to follow him. He's profile picture is really cool, because you don't see everyday two World Champions at once! Lars Van der Haar girlfriend in fact is Lucy Garner :)
RESULTS
1 Sven Nys (Bel) Landbouwkrediet-KDL 1:01:36
2 Niels Albert (Bel) BKCP - Powerplus 0:00:18
3 Lars van der Haar (Ned) Rabobank-Giant Off-Road Team 0:00:19
4 Bart Aernouts (Bel) AA Drink Cyclocross Team 0:00:35
5 Kevin Pauwels (Bel) Sunweb-Revor
6 Klaas Vantornout (Bel) Sunweb-Revor 0:01:02
7 Marcel Meisen (Ger) BKCP - Powerplus
8 Radomir Simunek (Cze) BKCP - Powerplus
9 Rob Peeters (Bel) Telenet - Fidea
10 Dieter Vanthourenhout (Bel) BKCP - Powerplus 0:01:09
WATCH THE RACE HERE:
http://www.cyclingfans.com/node/6749

No comments: