12.13.2012

2012 cycling season: a personal summary

'Highlights' isn't the right word, not this year. Working on this post I couldn't find many 'lights' really and deep shadows were everywhere. I lived the last season as the coming true of a nightmare. It was a bad feeling at first, confirmed month after month, disaster after disaster till the day Andy Schleck crashed in Dauphiné TT. I think 'my' cycling season finished there. 
But reading through my blog entries in order to prepare this post, I have been forced to recognize the many great days of racing I lived and how much I love this sport. Riders I like very much achieved splendid results: Martin Kohler in the Tour Down Under, Maciej Bodnar in De Panne, Rigoberto Uran in Catalunya and in the Olypics. New promising riders started a brilliant pro career. One for all: Moreno Moser. I'm so proud I interviwed him in a Yes We Like!
Many races gave me big emotions and the main characters on the stage were of course Bradley Wiggins, Tom Boonen, Fabian Cancellara, Peter Sagan, Vincenzo Nibali, Purito Rodriguez, Ryder Hesjedal, Thomas De Ghent, Taylor Phinney, Mark Cavendish, Tony Martin. Did I forget anybody? 
Daily heros: Sep Vanmarcke in Omloop Het Nieuwsblad, David Millar in Simpsons' day (TdF 12),  Bauke Mollema in the Vuelta al Pais Vasco TT, Daniele Bennati in the Vuelta a Espana, Rabottini in Pian dei Resinelli (Giro), Iglinsky in Liège.
2012 has been deeply marked by Contador's bann and Armstrong's case. I think an age of cycling finshed. Not sure if a new one already started.
As far as me... I suffered in each race Andy Schleck was supposed to ride: each one was a complete disaster. Moreover after it I had also to listen to people writing and talking bullshit about his 'lazyness' or 'few seriousness' or even worse... He has got a very bad luck and that didn't help his moral. His big - unique? - goal, le Tour, didn't suit him at all and I think he was aware of that. Few motivation, a complicated situation in the team and a quite bad mood were probably enough to waste his season in such a hopeless way. "Andy  didn't have a season" Kim Andersen said and I completely agree. It has been a pity and honestly wasted also 'my' season: I didn't enjoy it at all. I only remember some great moments, I see them reading my old post, I know I got moved or excited... but no: I kept very few.
Best moment of the year? I can't remember. The first and only race I think about is a cyclocross race: Lars Van der Haar on the podium in Hamme-Zogge Superprestig. You can so judge of my condition. No, really. I'm happy to archive this year and hope the next one will be better. I pray for that!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Ilaria, I share your same thoughts and feelings and really hope that 2013 wil rekindle the same excitement I used to get for cycling that sadly I didn't have this year. H