3.15.2013

In short: Fabian Cancellara about Andy Schleck (and more)

At the start in Porto San'Elpidio
There is an interview here about many other things:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cancellara-ready-for-milan-san-remo-showdown
In short (as far as Andy)
"I saw him this week first time after a long time. I think he's on the way back but he's got to take it step by step. He didn't have an easy year last year, with the crash, being awarded the Tour de France and then with what happened with his brother. Andy's experienced but he's still young too.
"He needs his time to come back. I still believe in him, as does the team. He apologised after being dropped on the descent during the team time trial. I said: 'No worries, man. Think where you were a few months ago, a few weeks ago, and keep working.'
"Of course when you see Froome, Contador and Rodriguez performing well he feels sad that he can't be up there but I told him not to stress about it. I think he can up there in the Ardennes Classics because I know Andy's engine.
"When you need help, you have to ask for help and that's what he's done. That's why I think he will be back. I always tell young riders to be careful during their careers. You need time to understand what you achieved as a rider. You become famous but sometimes you just want to be left alone. Success changes your life. At the end of the day, we're only human. But that's sometimes difficult for people to understand."
My opinion:
Fabian's words are good and I can't agree more. I didn't like at all instead the way some others handled it. 
Honestly I find it a shame that commentators supposed to be serious and even newspapers went so down to copy and translate a private status by a facebook page and make up all a story with it. That's disgusting. 
Today Gazzetta then adds a no required sequel publishing some very harsh words by Leopard's owner Flavio Becca. Frankly I find Becca's public answers unapropriate but questions were questionable too. It isn't the first time that the Gazzetta thinks it's smart to go searching in the rubbish bin (remember that ridicolous story about Frank Schleck not crashed in last Giro) and that's a shame because the cycling page editor Gialanella is a person I esteem. Journalism isn't gossip or shouldn't be. 
Maybe you think that 'we must tell the truth'. First of all: what do you know about it? or the trut is what you prefer to hear? second: we are about the private life of a person, a young guy who's going through a bad period. What's your aim? to help and support or to make things worse? reflect a bit next time before you push 'publish'.  

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is evident that Andy has been going through a rough patch for a relatively long time now. Rather than keeping quiet or even criticise him in public, those closest to him ie; team, family, mates, etc should help him. I am no pyschologist and will not even attempt to analyse him but Andy needs help. I appeal to RLT that as a team they have the duty to try and save this man. Please first save Andy the man and then save the Andy cyclist!

Ilaria said...

Thx for your comment.

Anonymous said...

Dear Ilaria,
I am extremly shoked what's happening here in Lux!!If some people could, they would put him in an open place and stone him. And dear M. Becca is throwing the first stone. People are mad, its sick!! Thanks God, there are some normal who continues supporting him. I AM DEAPLY ASHAMED FOR MY COUNTRY. How can we treat people like a piece of shit??? So its really nice to see that a good and human guy like Fabian treats him in a descent way. Andy is an human being and very, very nice one.
Maggy from Lux, a great an loyal fan

Ilaria said...

People can be cruel. Fortunately Andy has got a family and some good friends. He isn't - and mustn't be - alone. Thx for your comment.

Anonymous said...

It is easy to have support, be chased by a team when you are at the top and winning, but a team is supposed to support you in bad times too.

Much as I would like to, sadly I have never met Andy, I am not from Luxembourg and have never even been to a bike race. I watch cycling on TV and what I can say is that Andy's style of climbing is unique and is just nice and exciting to watch.

I appeal to RLT that if they want Andy back they first have to save Andy the man. Andy found himself at the top at a relatively young age, and being up there and in a matter of a year or so be down is not easy. Moreover, he misses his hero and mentor Frank, had a nasty injury and has found himself alone to deal with all this.

Yes there are a lot of cruel people out there, but there are also people like Ilaria, Maggy, myself and many, many others who have admired and will continue to admire Andy for what he has done and what he can still do. Andy please come back. Cycling is really boring without you. Cycling needs you back. You must come back as a man and then as a good rider without the pressure of having to win at all costs.
H

Anonymous said...

Hi ilaria,
Did you see the new site on facebook to support Andy Schleck. .?? Its a good thing organized by Serge Waldbillig.

Maggy

Ilaria said...

Yes, I saw and liked it :)