3.14.2013

Tirreno reportage 4: traveling (and Ortona-Chieti)

San Benedetto del Tronto beach
Can you write a story from the end? But you can't ignore the end when you already know it. There was the sun at the start, in GP Camaiore, a little smile, the will to watch at the bright side. In Porto Sant'Elpidio there was a hopeless rain, dark faces and the will to keep the light alive. Ok, I'm not about cycling here. Men do cycling and men are human beings. Reporters are men too and sometimes women. You need to feel to write well and when you feel pain writing is hard. But given that you can't start from the finish, let me go back to my travel from Florence to San Benedetto, in the day the peloton was riding from Ortona to Chieti.
I was excited, ready to celebrate Andy finishing a hard stage race after so many months. It looked normal. No matter how, no matter the finish order. Just finishing and moving on. I was pretending to read my Sartre but to be honest I was on twitter checking the race the most of the time. Out a dirty train window I could see a part of Italy I know very few: a large gray sea, short sand beach, palms, desert camping places and closed summer houses. By the other side... mountains covered in snow. Adriatico. That is called The Two Seas Race and yes we were crossing the country coast to coast.
San Benedetto del Tronto castle
 
I arrived when they arrived. My B&B was very nice, in the old town, the 'castle' of San Benedetto del Tronto but on my room's tv RAIsport2 had got no signal. No choice but to scroll the results looking for the one I care. Bauke Mollema 2nd ! I'd have liked to see that! Horner was defending well RSLT colors and Nibali looked less brilliant than expected. Purito had won, as expected. Andy had finished YEAH! That was all I needed to know. But in the end he had told me: "I see you the last two days then".
I was very tired, mentally more than physically and more for the previous days than for the travel of that day. I was eating so few that I reminded me my anemia and forced myself to go and have a decent dinner.
I had a walk by the sea. It was Sunday and the center of San Benedetto was incrediblely crowded. My restaurant was up the castle though and desert. Not a good sign however it was also very early and people here use to have dinner late. No will to go around. I was feeling lonely and a little sad. That was the last night I had a long good sleep. Well... long... I woke up at 6.30 am to catch my train to Porto Sant'Elpidio...
 .............................................................

ORTONA CHIETI
STAGE
1 Joaquim Rodriguez Oliver (Spa) Katusha 6:06:43  
2 Bauke Mollema (Ned) Blanco Pro Cycling Team 0:00:08  
3 Alberto Contador Velasco (Spa) Team Saxo-Tinkoff    
4 Mauro Santambrogio (Ita) Vini Fantini-Selle Italia    
5 Christopher Horner (USA) RadioShack Leopard    
6 Christopher Froome (GBr) Sky Procycling    
7 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:00:17  
8 Przemyslaw Niemiec (Pol) Lampre-Merida 0:00:22  
9 Roman Kreuziger (Cze) Team Saxo-Tinkoff    
10 Daniel Martin (Irl) Garmin-Sharp
............
88 Andy Schleck (Lux) RadioShack Leopard                 0:14:05
GC
1 Christopher Froome (GBr) Sky Procycling 22:11:53  
2 Alberto Contador Velasco (Spa) Team Saxo-Tinkoff 0:00:20  
3 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Astana Pro Team    
4 Michal Kwiatkowski (Pol) Omega Pharma-Quick Step 0:00:24  
5 Christopher Horner (USA) RadioShack Leopard 0:00:37  
6 Mauro Santambrogio (Ita) Vini Fantini-Selle Italia 0:00:52  
7 Joaquim Rodriguez Oliver (Spa) Katusha 0:00:55  
8 Rigoberto Uran Uran (Col) Sky Procycling 0:00:57  
9 Roman Kreuziger (Cze) Team Saxo-Tinkoff 0:01:27  
10 Sergio Luis Henao Montoya (Col) Sky Procycling 0:01:51  
...
84 Andy Schleck (Lux) RadioShack Leopard 0:32:27
..

No comments: