4.14.2013

Amstel Gold Race: Andy Schleck crashed and quits

Embedded image permalink
Pic by

After a few km the race was settled: a few chasers had joined a break and formed a front group including Astarloza, De Troyer, Pliuschin, Vanoverberghe, Vansummeren, Sys and Vogondy. They gained till 10'. Behind Blanco and Cannondale were pulling the peloton. According to Cyclingnews reporter Jeane Aubry there were 18 degrees, a blustery winds at the finish and a small rain supposed to hold off so that the expected temperature was closer to 21°C. 
RSLT's rider Monfort had said:  "Nobody in the team can beat Sagan so we must try earlier: surprise is our best card today". But today surprise wasn't a good one: a big crash 90 kms to go. Many riders got involved, many were forced to stop or cross a field to avoid the pile of men and bikes all over the road. Voeckler abandoned in ambulance to the hospital (collarbone probably), Ten Dam looked bad too, Gilbert and others were quickly chasing. Andy Schleck was in that small group too but couldn't keep the pace. I didn't see him down so still don't know if he fell or not. For sure he failed to make his way back to the peloton and finally abandoned.  
The race goes on. I'll check the results. Let me say I'm not interested anymore. That was a very bad luck, I hope Andy is ok, I saw him chasing with Gilbert and he didn't look injuried. I'm really sad but sadness doesn't help. Lets look forward.
UPDATE: ANDY SAID...
Source  
http://www.wort.lu/de/view/amstel-gold-race-andy-schleck-steigt-vorzeitig-vom-rad-516aadb9e4b08f34f805f7d8#.UWq3WLbs9mg.twitter
Pic by Joe Geimer/Serge Waldbillig

"The crash happened at the worst moment. The race was entering its final stage and it was impossible for me to join the peloton. I fell on the right side of my body. My ribs hurt a bit, but this should not be a problem. I have some skin left on the road and I also came away with a black eye. When finally the mechanic found my bike the gap with the peloton was already too big. For the Flèche Wallonne and Liège-Bastogne-Liège I remain confident. I was actually feeling pretty good until the fall. That isn't going to affect me and doesn't change my plan."
SHORT RESULTS

Roman Kreuziger took an outstanding victory by a brave move on the last kms. He didn't panic while the chasing group was coming close and kept pushing till the line. Congrats! He has always been one of my favourite riders so that makes me a little happy :) 
Source http://www.procyclingstats.com/race/1167901-Amstel-Gold-Race-2013
1 KREUZIGER Roman Team Saxo-Tinkoff80225 6:35:21
2 VALVERDE BELMONTE Alejandro Movistar Team60150 0:22
3 GERRANS Simon Orica GreenEDGE50110 ,,
4 KWIATKOWSKI Michal Omega Pharma - Quick-Step4090 ,,
5 GILBERT Philippe BMC Racing Team3080 ,,
6 HENAO MONTOYA Sergio Luis Sky Procycling2270 ,,
7 LEUKEMANS Bjorn Vacansoleil - DCM1460 ,,
8 WEENING Pieter Orica GreenEDGE1050 ,,
9 GASPAROTTO Enrico Astana Pro Team646 ,,
10 MOLLEMA Bauke Blanco Pro Cycling Team242 ,,







































No comments: