3.04.2014

Cycling in real!

The first flowers of spring!
My previous post about 'cycling' has been read as if I was fed up about cycling in general but it wasn't meant to state that. It's almost the opposite in fact. 
As every year at the end of February I feel empty and vaguely disgusted because of two factors: the first one is the objective stress to cover the first race involving Andy, the second one is the desire to go to races instead of following them on twitter or watching them on streaming. 
There is nothing I can do about the first factor: fully covering a race is demanding. Fortunately the second factor is going to be downsized: in the next months I'm going to go to many races hopefully. 
The first one is next Saturday: Strade Bianche. I have been there since its first edition. This year it changed a little: the start is no more in Gaiole in Chianti but in San Gimignano, closer to the traditional finish in Siena. I don't like at all the change. Gaiole is a very small village with a tourism built also around a cycling myth: the 'Eroica', an old style race on dirty roads, for amateurs. Recently RCS decided to create Strade Bianche as the pro edition of the Eroica, using its myth as a powerful commercial. Ok, but you must respect the race afterward.
On Sunday I go for the first time to Rome for Roma Maxima. It's the new edition of Giro del Lazio, old and honoured race disapeared in the last years and recently re-created. Again: why should you change the name of a traditional race? Is Rome easier to sell? is it all about bussiness? Italian cycling is in such a serious crisis that it would be better to invest to defend its tradition than to invent new things. In my opinion La Gazzetta dello Sport - RCS newspaper - should consider as a mission to bring again Italian people on the road to watch cycling races. Instead you barely find a small article about cycling, cyclists, even important events and riders. It's a shame. I go to Rome basicly because of Rome: to bring around my son.
Paris-Nice starts next week: Andy is going to race it and I'm going to cover it, but I'm also going to live it in real. For the first time I go to Nice for the last two stages. I had planned to go also two years ago, then Andy abandoned the race dued to a sickness and I cancealed my trip. This year he opted for Paris-Nice again in order to be closer to home and to his new born son. I hope he'll start well motivated to take a good result but in my opinion Frank is more likely to fight for the podium
But I'm in Italy so I'll probably go also to some stages of Tirreno-Adriatico. It's a beautiful, hard race and bad weather risks to make it harder again. 
On 4/13 there is Paris-Roubaix: I have never been there but I had the chance to explore the field in January for Trek Factory Racing's launch and I'm going to come back for the race. I'll stay in Lille again, with my son.
In May there is the Giro d'Italia: shamefully shortened for Italian people by the start in North Ireland - pure nonsense - its route runs quite far from me so I'm going to some stages but few, probably to the last one in Trieste and then I don't know.
Finally: the Tour de France. We go but all is still to define.
As you can see I'm far from being fed up of cycling but I need the real one: to smell and touch. I need to watch it by my eyes - and by my camera - deciding by myself what's worth of a picture or a word. I need to travel. I love it. A Chinese proverb says: "The blue sky over my head, the round earth under my feet". It means 'Independence'.
That's a part of me, the 'reporter' side'. I have also a 'philospher' side and it urges me to rest in a silent, peaceful place thinking, reading and writing about complicated stuff. That's why I need the good weather to come: I must move to the country house, isolated in the natural beauty. That's why I love the summer time...
Waiting for it I keep me busy training with my coach, attending to a yoga class and taking part in a psychology workshop about colors. I  work as a teacher in two schools and have got a 12 yo son, so you can imagine I don't have many time left!

No comments: