3.26.2014

Volta a Catalunya 3: The Big Bang of Purito El Bandido

Rodriguez El Bandido
Embedded image permalinkYep it was cold on the way toward  the climb to La Molina, and it was hard: 5.3 km and 6% average. 
The sky was cloudy and dark over the break-away - Bobridge, Koch, Molard, Reza, Samoilau and Zeits. Catalunya looking like Swizerland today,, with pastures and cows. 
13 km to go Reza and Samoilau, Molard joined but finally it was Reza solo, black and green. It's had been cool but no: he got caught 5 km to go.
Then it was the high pace and the nervous waiting of the attacks, all favourites in front looking each others.  
Fuglsang was the first one to try, in vain. Then Froome, bringing away a small group: Rodriguez, Contador and Quintana. 
Purito El Bandido had dismissed his tabarro while Froome was still wearing legs warmers... A new attack by the Spaniards and the Brit lost terain. An unstoppable Purito said good-bye and went to win.
Great stage! great champ!

What Purito said:
"Ganar en una carrera con tanto nivel es la ostia, pero ganar delante de familia y amigos es la reostia!!muchísimas gracias a tod@s!"
What Chris Froome said:
“I’ve come back after a long period of racing and I was really happy with today. Okay I didn’t win the stage and I lost a bit of time in the final, but all things considered I’m really happy with my condition. Especially after taking a little bit of a break with my back problem, it’s a really positive sign for me to be at the front of the race again.
We came into the last 500 metres and it had been quite fast until then. It wasn’t a very steep finish but it was more explosive. I thought ‘If I’m going to try anything, it might as well be here’. I gave it a little push but the main contenders – Rodriguez, Contador, Quintana and Tejay – all followed my wheel and accelerated past me.
I’m happy I tried but I know I’ve got a lot of work to do on my condition.  They rode the race very well tactically. I was the first to move out of all of them, which was probably not the right thing to do but I tried. I did my race and they did their race. My teammates did a really good job today. It was quite a difficult stage with the cold. All day they were going backwards and forwards getting hot tea and good clothing. I really need to say thank you to them for doing a good job today.
I think tomorrow will be more my style of racing. Again I’m here after a big break so I’m just hoping to do the best race possible and just to get that race feeling back into the legs again.”
What Carlos Betancur said:
"Un día muy difícil 40 de fiebre"


RESULTS

STAGE
1 Joaquin Rodriguez Oliver (Spa) Team Katusha 4:50:54
2 Alberto Contador Velasco (Spa) Tinkoff-Saxo 0:00:05
3 Nairo Alexander Quintana Rojas (Col) Movistar Team 0:00:09
4 Tejay Van Garderen (USA) BMC Racing Team 0:00:11
5 Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky 0:00:13
6 Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale 0:00:14
7 Wilco Kelderman (Ned) Belkin Pro Cycling Team
8 Andrew Talansky (USA) Garmin Sharp
9 Romain Bardet (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale
10 Przemyslaw Niemiec (Pol) Lampre-Merida 0:00:20

GC
1 Joaquin Rodriguez Oliver (Spa) Team Katusha 12:58:00
2 Alberto Contador Velasco (Spa) Tinkoff-Saxo 0:00:05
3 Nairo Alexander Quintana Rojas (Col) Movistar Team 0:00:09
4 Tejay Van Garderen (USA) BMC Racing Team 0:00:11
5 Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky 0:00:13
6 Wilco Kelderman (Ned) Belkin Pro Cycling Team 0:00:14
7 Andrew Talansky (USA) Garmin Sharp
8 Romain Bardet (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale
9 Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale
10 Przemyslaw Niemiec (Pol) Lampre-Merida 0:00:20

No comments: