4.10.2014

Vuelta al Pais Vasco: Wonderful Win for Wout Poels in Queen Stage

The colour is green: Euskal Herria for a change in the sun, soft round hills, big buildings in the industrial area of Eibar and highways to be left behind riding fast toward the last climb. 
Break-away caught 10 to go, many attacks and a very selected group in front. Wout Poels goes solo: 3 km of pain and joy to cross the finish line rising high his skinny arms, a big smile on his skinny face. Moved, happy, incredulous. 
Patrick Lefevere immediately tweets: "Proud on my fantastic team again and happy that i was having trust in what a great comeback" Indead! he crashed bad some times ago and he's back riding, fighting, winning.
Alberto Contador attacked twice but on the line is 10th. Enough to keep a jersey he secured on the first day of race.
Young Simon Yates had a good go
The colour is green but how can I write you the sound of the victory on the Basque roads? Screaming and pushing and waving a flag. A roaring crowd. 
What Wouter Poels said:
"It was a long, difficult stage. From kilometer zero until the finish the pace was really fast. But, the team worked really well and they controlled the race. The goal today was to try and move up a bit in the GC and, why not, see if there was a possibility to win the stage. In the final we were there playing with Kwiatkowski also there. Contador attacked and his efforts were really strong. But at a certain moment Contador, Valverde, and a few others started to look at each other. So I tried to take advantage of this situation and I went. I knew the final from last year as I raced here a year ago. I knew it was possible to pass the final climb and go to the finish. So, I went for it. When you have a good condition you are also able to take the right decision in a short time. So, that's exactly what happened today. I am super happy about it. This is absolutely the most important victory of my career. I am super happy about it because after the big crashes I had at the Tour a few years ago I was able to come back. Now I am here, with this great team, and I won. So, I am over the moon. I've had a good feeling since the beginning of the season. I tried to be useful for the team when it's necessary and when I have a chance like today I try to grab it with both hands. Tomorrow we will see. It's another difficult stage. We'll see how we recover from today's stage. The goal is to try to defend my position and work together with Kwiatkowski, and then we will see. But, it won't be easy. We'll do our best."
RESULTS
STAGE

1 Wouter Poels (Ned) Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team 3:39:29
2 Alejandro Valverde Belmonte (Spa) Movistar Team 0:00:01
3 Samuel Sanchez (Spa) BMC Racing Team
4 Tom Jelte Slagter (Ned) Garmin Sharp 0:00:03
5 Bauke Mollema (Ned) Belkin Pro Cycling Team
6 Yury Trofimov (Rus) Team Katusha
7 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team
8 Mikel Landa Meana (Spa) Astana Pro Team
9 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Lampre-Merida
10 Alberto Contador Velasco (Spa) Tinkoff-Saxo
11 Jean-Christophe Peraud (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale
12 Tejay Van Garderen (USA) BMC Racing Team
GC
1 Alberto Contador Velasco (Spa) Tinkoff-Saxo 16:33:35
2 Alejandro Valverde Belmonte (Spa) Movistar Team 0:00:12
3 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Lampre-Merida 0:00:36
4 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team
5 Jean-Christophe Peraud (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale
6 Yury Trofimov (Rus) Team Katusha
7 Michal Kwiatkowski (Pol) Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team 0:00:41
8 Mikel Landa Meana (Spa) Astana Pro Team 0:00:54
9 Wouter Poels (Ned) Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team 0:00:55
10 Samuel Sanchez (Spa) BMC Racing Team 0:00:56
11 Tom Jelte Slagter (Ned) Garmin Sharp
12 Thibaut Pinot (Fra) FDJ.fr

No comments: