5.22.2014

Giro d'Italia 12: RIGOBERTO URAN GOES PINK

Evans defeated
So let me breath. I has been quite a day! I guess it was a sunny morning when Barbaresco-Barolo ITT has been designed but it was a rainy afternoon when it has been ridden. Not a storm but still a wet dangerous road. Not a normal itt but a first big clash for the final GC and nobody really interested took any risk.
It was a hilly long tt and that explains the results: climbers gained seconds on the climb and good descenders kept it till the line. I'm anyway surprised by Diego Ulissi's exploit. Time will tell. 
Time already told a few things actually: that Cadel Evans got nervous and made some mistakes, that Rigoberto Uran looked extremely cool and confirmed my first idea of him as main favourite of this Giro, that OPQS is the strongest team in the field, that Tinkoff leader is Majka - I had no doubt but the start in Ireland put Roche in the light spot - that Quintana isn't that threat - we'll wait the mounatins of course but I mantain this - that Majka and Keldermann are the best youths in the peloton and that Domenico Pozzovivo is the dark horse of the race.
Trek Factory Racing had two goals and managed to get both of them: to defend Julian Arredondo Blue Jersey and Robert Kiserlovski GC. Arredondo and Kiserlovski did NOT a good itt but it was enough. 
Team Sky was looking for a results and sum up they did quite good: Dario Cataldo finished 11th and Konstantin Siutsou 15th, Boasson Hagen 23th. Siutsou also improved his GC (he's now 18th). Only OPQS did better as a team (4 riders in the top ten: ick!).
Finally, Fabio Aru is keeping all the promises of his young brilliant talent. There was an interview with him on the Gazzetta few days ago: he's from Sardegna, he studied deeply and hard, used to play tennis and arrived to cycling only late. With a strong mind I'd say. With solid basis. Italian cyclists are there, where is Italian cycling?

What  Rigoberto UrĂ¡n said:
"Esto lo dice todo!!! Siempre con trabajo, paciencia amor..." 
 "It's true, the real mountain stages are to come, but I was really counting on today's stage I worked a lot for this stage. We came here two months ago to perform recon. We worked a lot with Specialized, including in the wind tunnel in California. I was very good at the time trial at the Tour de Romandie and carried my condition into the Giro. I kept receiving information about the times of Cadel Evans as I went along the course today. I think it made a difference. I was really hoping to win today and I'm happy I made it. But there is no one rival in the next days. There are many more. There's Quintana, Evans, Majka, just to name a few. There are still some tough stages waiting for us in the last week. But, we really aimed everything at this Giro. We're here, we're doing really well, we have a great team, so we are here to try and win the Giro and we will do our best to honor and protect the Maglia Rosa. I'm super proud. For me, it's something special, but it's also special for my country. I'm thrilled to be here and make my Colombian public proud with a victory and the pink jersey."
De Gendt is really strong in the time trials and we all wanted to do well. Look at the bike themselves, our Specialized bikes. They're fast by themselves, right? Put these guys on those bikes and see what more can happen. Brambilla was 5th, Poels 6th, and De Gendt 8th. I don't have anything else to say. We have strong guys and really fast machines to ride on."


What Cadel Evans said:
"As I told you a few days ago, I saw Uran coming into form, but I honestly did not expect him to have such an amazing time trial. Of course, I had hoped to have done better myself. The time trial course suited me well, but as I said yesterday, the verdict is on the road. My position is good tactically. I think it is going to be interesting."

AG2R DS Laurent Biondi:
“Domenico and Patrick have both gotten an excellent time. The main goal today for Pozzo was to get a good time without taking risks to avoid crash and objectives are met. There are still many stages and great things to do, the race is far from over.”

Tean Sky DS Dario Cioni:
"It was a good ride today from the guys. Cataldo just missed out on the top 10 and Kosta was 15th. It was important that Kosta had a good ride for GC. He’s moved up one place and I’m sure he can kick on from there. Cataldo wanted to do well, especially having been Italian TT champion in the past. He was a bit unlucky with the weather going out in the middle of the rain. If you look at the results Rigo would certainly have been out of reach but he could well have been in the top five in good conditions. It’s good to see him competing well and putting in a solid ride. On a course like this it’s not as if you can hide away. Tomorrow’s stage looks like another sprint stage. We have Ben (Swift) and Eddy up there. It’s possibly one of the last stages for the sprinters. Soon we’ll be heading into the mountains and the race takes on a different complexion."

What Robert Kiserlovski said: 
“I did really well – last year I lost around 5-6 minutes so I am really happy with my time this year. I did not risk in the downhill, and in the last climb I lost a bit of rhythm because I could feel my back wheel slipping. It happened two or three times and because of that I lost concentration. So with all that it’s a good result and I am really happy. I think Uran did an incredible TT today – all the [GC contenders] were around two minutes back. To stay in the top 10 is the first goal, but I would like to fight for the top 5.  This TT today gives me confidence for the future. I said to everyone that if I finish top 10, it’s good, but if I finish top five then I know it’s a good sign for the future and that I have not reached my limit. I am 27 years old, and I think I can still improve.”

What Wilco Kelderman said:
“I couldn’t have gone any faster and I’m definitely happy with this result. It’s always nice to move up a few places. It’s just a shame that Rafal Majka (Tinkoff-Saxo) was so strong. The white jersey stayed out of my reach because of that. I’m now fifth overall and for the rest of the race, I will give my all to defend that position. However, finishing in the top ten is still my main goal.
A TV motorbike was riding next to me a few times so I couldn’t cut some of the corners as I would’ve liked. I was a bit pissed off because that took away some of my focus. The final part went a lot better.”


MORE TO COME
RESULTS
STAGE

1 Rigoberto Uran Uran (OPQS) 57:34
2 Diego Ulissi (Lampre Merida) +1:17
3 Rafel Majka (Tinkoff-Saxo) +1:39
4 Gianluca Brambilla (OPQS) +1:53
5 Wouter Poels (OPQS) +2:00
 
GC
1 Rigoberto Uran Uran (Col) Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team
2 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team
3 Rafal Majka (Pol) Tinkoff-Saxo
4 Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale
5 Wilco Kelderman (Ned) Belkin Pro Cycling Team
6 Nairo Alexander Quintana Rojas (Col) Movistar Team
7 Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team
8 WoutPoels (Ned) Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team
9 Steve Morabito (Swi) BMC Racing Team
10 Robert Kiserlovski (Cro) Trek Factory Racing

No comments: