5.24.2014

Giro d'Italia 14: A HUGE Dario Cataldo

...and a HUGE Team Sky I have to say: they placed two men in the break-away (Cataldo and Boasson Hagen), kept high the pace and attacked at the right moment. Cataldo looked brilliant and very strong, the strongest in the small group in front. Unfortunately he didn't get the needed collaboration and that meant some fast riders coming back in the finale. That meant a wonderful Battaglin sprinting to the victory.
Nevertheless Dario Cataldo gave Team Sky a well deserved podium and also improved his GC, sadly wasted by the crash in Cassino. Team Sky GC rider Kanstantsin Siutsou had to abandon the race today:  he crashed 100 km to go in a roundabout. "Kanstantsin has had x-rays which have shown no fractures," said Team Doctor Steve Baynes "He was in pain following the crash and obviously upset not to be able to continue in the race. We'll check over him again this evening." That was a very bad news for the British team but the reaction has been great: Cataldo and Boasson Hagen all day on the attack and a superb result. Of course a victory would have been better but it seems that in this Giro they don't have a good luck.
Battaglin didn't win because lucky but because strong. Bravo! it just tastes a little bitter... 
The GC didn't change but we had the expected fireworks on the climb to Oropa: Domenico Pozzovivo attacked, Quintana resisted, Kelderman followed but Uran and Evans got dropped. Pierre Rolland also tried an early attack and had anyway a good finish. Fabio Aru was consisted on the climb. Arredondo worked well for team leader Kiserlovski who kept his place in GC (10) in such an open hard day.
A great stage. A great show. In good weather for a change! I watched it in a Casa del popolo in the small village of Paperino, then ran to watch my son's race. 

What Enrico Battaglin said:
“Until the final kilometre I didn’t believe it could happen, because I had already given a lot as I’d been in the break all day, which had taken a great deal out of me. Then I saw that they were just ahead of me and I only thought about giving all I had left. In the sprint I lost a few metres right away, then I gritted my teeth and saw that both Cataldo and Pantano were struggling. I passed them in the final 20 metres. I only just managed it. It was a great victory, very emotional.”
"I really wanted this win. I didn’t go often in the break but today I was really focused and I was the first to attack after the official start. On the final climb I always climbed with my tempo and this was a right decision. When in the last km the climb became less steep I raised the pace, bridged to Cataldo and Pantano and there I understood that I would not have lost. Excatly one year ago on this day I crashed and quit the Giro, today I won. Yesterday my good friend and roommate Canola won and today me, super!. Thanks to the sponsor and my squad fundamental to keep this amazing victory”.

Team Sky Sports Director Dario Cioni:
"It was a day of highs and lows. It was really close there with Dario. A stage win would have been a really nice result. The plan from the morning was to go in the break and Cataldo was one of the riders we wanted to get in there. Edvald also joined him and it was a perfect situation as it meant he had some team support. It all looked good until 10 metres to the line. Battaglin really finished well. Certainly Dario was looking more at Pantano but it's just one of those things. It looked like a rider crashed in front of Kosta and he hit him and went down. Sebastian (Henao) was next to him and also Philip (Deignan) was involved so we had three riders down in one moment. We tried to continue with Kosta but it just wasn't possible. It's a shame as he would likely have moved up today in the GC."

What Rigoberto Uran said:
"We were happy with the breakaway that got away. I was always in good shape with my teammates around me.  I had the whole team with me all day. When the accelerations came at 5 kilometers to go I had them around me still to help me. So, I was happy today. I am absolutely cheerful because my team was phenomenal and Poels was great in the final. I did Grand Tours a few times, and I know it's important to be consistent over the three weeks. OK, we lost 20, maybe 25 seconds today, but it's not a real problem. You have to arrive with the Maglia Rosa at the end of the race, not showing yourself on every stage. You need to save energy as much as possible because the hard climbs and days are still to come. I know all these climbs coming up. There’s that difficult final week and I want to wear this Maglia Rosa in Trieste."

What Cadel Evans said:
"It might have been a few more seconds, but there was a bit of a wave (other riders) in front of me. Someone set a really hard tempo at the start of the climb. That eliminated a lot of riders who might have ridden tempo – Samuel Sánchez or Steve Morabito – who could have been by my side later in the climb. So all the leaders were isolated quite early."

What Wilco Kelderman said:
"Again it went very well. It was a tough stage with several steep climbs, but once again, I was able to fight with the best riders. That gives me a lot of confidence. On the last climb the race exploded. When Pozzovivo and Quintana attacked, I tried to follow. I was only twenty metres behind them, but I couldn’t bridge. That took a lot of energy. Majka and Aru reeled me in and made me suffer a bit. In the end, I lost some time to Aru, but I’ve ridden a super stage. I’m also very proud of the team. The guys helped me fantastically. They dropped me off well for the climb and always made sure I had a team-mate around.”

MORE TO COME

RESULTS
STAGE
1 Enrico Battaglin (Ita) Bardiani-CSF 4:34:41
2 Dario Cataldo (Ita) Team Sky
3 Jarlinson Pantano (Col) Colombia 0:00:07
4 Jan Polanc (Slo) Lampre-Merida 0:00:17
5 Nicolas Roche (Irl) Tinkoff-Saxo 0:00:22
6 Albert Timmer (Ned) Team Giant-Shimano 0:00:26
7 Emanuele Sella (Ita) Androni Giocattoli 0:00:28
8 Mattia Cattaneo (Ita) Lampre-Merida 0:00:33
9 Tim Wellens (Bel) Lotto Belisol 0:00:39
10 Ivan Santaromita (Ita) Orica Greenedge 0:00:54
11 Martijn Keizer (Ned) Belkin Pro Cycling Team 0:01:17
12 Jonathan Monsalve (Ven) Neri Sottoli - Yellow Fluo 0:01:46
13 Ryder Hesjedal (Can) Garmin Sharp 0:02:22
14 Pierre Rolland (Fra) Team Europcar 0:02:26
15 Nairo Alexander Quintana Rojas (Col) Movistar Team 0:02:39
16 Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:02:43
17 Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale
18 Wilco Kelderman (Ned) Belkin Pro Cycling Team 0:02:47
19 Rafal Majka (Pol) Tinkoff-Saxo
20 Wout Poels (Ned) Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team 0:02:59
21 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team
22 Rigoberto Uran Uran (Col) Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team 0:03:04
23 Axel Domont (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale
24 Edvald Boasson Hagen (Nor) Team Sky 0:03:22
25 Igor Anton Hernandez (Spa) Movistar Team 0:03:27
26 Alexis Vuillermoz (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:03:36
27 Valerio Agnoli (Ita) Astana Pro Team
28 Robert Kiserlovski (Cro) Trek Factory Racing
29 Mikel Landa Meana (Spa) Astana Pro Team
30 Gorka Izaguirre Insausti (Spa) Movistar Team 0:03:46
31 Riccardo Zoidl (Aut) Trek Factory Racing 0:03:53
32 Diego Ulissi (Ita) Lampre-Merida 0:04:01
33 Franco Pellizotti (Ita) Androni Giocattoli 0:04:02
34 Ivan Basso (Ita) Cannondale
35 Julien Vermote (Bel) Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team 0:04:05
36 Hubert Dupont (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:04:16
37 Alexandre Geniez (Fra) FDJ.fr 0:04:27
38 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Lampre-Merida 0:04:54
39 Fabio Andres Duarte Arevalo (Col) Colombia
40 André Cardoso (Por) Garmin Sharp
41 HERRADA Jose' ESP MOV
42 Philip Deignan (Irl) Team Sky
43 Sebastian Henao Gomez (Col) Team Sky
44 Matteo Rabottini (Ita) Neri Sottoli - Yellow Fluo 0:05:25
45 Maxime Monfort (Bel) Lotto Belisol 0:05:37

GC
1 Rigoberto Uran Uran (Col) Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team 57:52:51
2 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:00:32
3 Rafal Majka (Pol) Tinkoff-Saxo 0:01:35
4 Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale 0:02:11
5 Wilco Kelderman (Ned) Belkin Pro Cycling Team 0:02:33
6 Nairo Alexander Quintana Rojas (Col) Movistar Team 0:03:04
7 Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:03:16
8 Wout Poels (Ned) Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team 0:04:01
9 Pierre Rolland (Fra) Team Europcar 0:05:07
10 Robert Kiserlovski (Cro) Trek Factory Racing 0:05:13
11 Ivan Basso (Ita) Cannondale 0:06:07
12 Ryder Hesjedal (Can) Garmin Sharp 0:06:13
13 Steve Morabito (Swi) BMC Racing Team 0:06:53
14 Diego Ulissi (Ita) Lampre-Merida 0:07:21
15 Alexis Vuillermoz (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:08:08
16 Matteo Rabottini (Ita) Neri Sottoli - Yellow Fluo 0:09:09
17 Maxime Monfort (Bel) Lotto Belisol 0:09:34
18 Alexandre Geniez (Fra) FDJ.fr 0:10:31
19 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Lampre-Merida 0:10:32
20 Franco Pellizotti (Ita) Androni Giocattoli 0:10:36
21 Hubert Dupont (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:11:25
22 HERRADA Jose' ESP MOV 0:12:11
23 Fabio Andres Duarte Arevalo (Col) Colombia 0:15:13
24 Gianluca Brambilla (Ita) Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team 0:16:13
25 Samuel Sanchez (Spa) BMC Racing Team 0:16:56
26 Georg Preidler (Aut) Team Giant-Shimano 0:17:51
27 Michael Rogers (Aus) Tinkoff-Saxo 0:19:49
28 Davide Malacarne (Ita) Team Europcar 0:24:32
29 André Cardoso (Por) Garmin Sharp 0:27:53
30 Jarlinson Pantano (Col) Colombia 0:29:31
31 Jan Polanc (Slo) Lampre-Merida 0:29:47
32 Bjorn Thurau (Ger) Team Europcar 0:30:31
33 Serge Pauwels (Bel) Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team 0:30:49
34 Nicolas Roche (Irl) Tinkoff-Saxo 0:33:18
35 Ivan Santaromita (Ita) Orica Greenedge 0:33:23
36 Sebastian Henao Gomez (Col) Team Sky 0:34:00
37 Dario Cataldo (Ita) Team Sky 0:36:49
ghg

No comments: