5.28.2014

Giro d'Italia 17: Pirazzi solo

The winner
The day after. Rain on the Giro. The peloton takes a off day while in front a 26 riders break goes away: Gasparotto, Montaguti, Pirazzi, Boem Canola, Van Emden, Oss, Gatto, Bono, Le Bon, Veikkanen, Cunego, Bak, Anton, De Gendt, Pauwels, Malacarne, Geschke, Losada, Vorganov, Deignan, Petrov, McCarthy, Felline, Wellens.
About 20 to go De Gendt attacks and climbs solo the steep Muro di Ca' del Poggio (4th cat): 1.15 km long, 12.2% average and 18% max.
Behind Pirazzi comes out the front group, chases solo and joins De Gendt. Montaguti quickly joins with Wellens and McCarthy. They work well together and immediately get a good gap.
L'étape et un bras d'honneur pour Pirazzi, vidéoChasers instead start attacking each others: Deignan twice but it doesn't work, then Felline, but Bardiani riders are quick to stop him.
The front group approach the finish. Pirazzi moves up and wins solo.
Crossing the line he makes a bad offensive gesture: "It's for the too many criticisms I  got in the last years." he says just after.And bursts in tears. First victory as a pro.

What Fabio Felline said:
Embedded image permalink“It was very difficult to start the breakaway, so it was very fast for a long time. When it finally went it was a good breakaway with 26 riders. It was very hard at the end with all the attacks; you had to sprint again and again to follow. I did not have great legs in the final hill to stay with the four riders in the front. After, I tried to bridge to the leaders, but I just did not have it today. Pirazzi is a good rider. I would not think that today would have been a stage for him, but as you can see in the end he won. For me It was a great opportunity lost, and I am very disappointed. That’s cycling.”


Deignan: Out front again at the Giro
Deignan attacked twice today
Team Sky DS Dario Cioni:
"With that parcours it was quite difficult to get a result as the final climb was relatively short and quite explosive. Philip did everything he could to bridge across but it was a difficult ask in the final kilometres. The move didn't go for 70km and then all of a sudden a big group went. It was a case of who was in there at the time went clear. It's another summit finish tomorrow so we'll look to put riders up the road again. We know we've got riders who are climbing well and we'll continue pushing for the stage win."

What Daniel Oss said:
"It was two hours before the breakaway went, so it was already a pretty hard day. The final was really crazy. A lot of others had two teammates in the break but I did my best. I believed until one kilometer because the gap was so close – only a few seconds. All the way from the last climb, I tried to move and keep the chase going and close the gap."  
“And that’s a bit of a disappointment,” said Van Emden. “I had marked this day with red in my calendar. Of course, it’s fun to be in a break in a grand tour, I had never experienced that before, but I really wanted to fight for the victory and unfortunately, that didn’t work out.”
What Van Emden said:
“And that’s a bit of a disappointment. I had marked this day with red in my calendar. Of course, it’s fun to be in a break in a grand tour, I had never experienced that before, but I really wanted to fight for the victory and unfortunately, that didn’t work out. But soon I felt I recovered well from yesterday’s hard ride. Unfortunately, 23 other riders joined us later on. That made it a very different race.
I turned my focus to the final climb. I wanted to be with best on the top so that I could get in the mix for the win. Unfortunately, five men attacked on the climb and stayed clear. I still tried to jump and attacked with everything I had, but the others marked my attacks. And that’s very nice to experience. Last spring, I rode harder than I ever did and now, things are going fine as well. I don’t have to save energy in order to reach the finish. Last year, I made a major step and this year, it seems like I’m making another one. Apparently it’s true that these are a bike rider’s strongest years.”

RESULTS
STAGE
1 Stefano Pirazzi (Ita) Bardiani-CSF 4:38:11
2 Tim Wellens (Bel) Lotto Belisol
3 Jay Mccarthy (Aus) Tinkoff-Saxo
4 Thomas De Gendt (Bel) Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team
5 Matteo Montaguti (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale
6 Jussi Veikkanen (Fin) FDJ.fr 0:00:28
7 Simon Geschke (Ger) Team Giant-Shimano
8 Fabio Felline (Ita) Trek Factory Racing
9 Marco Canola (Ita) Bardiani-CSF
10 Serge Pauwels (Bel) Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team
GC

No comments: