5.10.2014

Giro d'Italia 2: Maarten Tjallingii... didn't win...

...but he had deserved to. In the break-away - and in the wind and rain - with Romero, Fedi and Sander Armee, conquered the KOM jersey. Last man on the road, he didn't give up: attacked instead 8 km to go and got caught in the true last kms. What a ride... and what a rider!
It was supposed to finish at the sprint and so it was. Marcel Kittel won, easily. In a pink, wet, crowded Belfast again. The beautiful Ireland all day on the screan. I have been there many years ago... 
Bravo Giacomo Nizzolo, still disappointing Team Sky: Ben Swift only 7th. 
ORICA-GE keep the Rosa but by BLING Michael Matthews

What  Maarten Tjallingii said:
"There are not many chances to be in breakaways in this Giro, so I wanted to try today. I felt I was in control of the group, and when I won the first points sprint, I wanted to go for the second one. I got the jersey, and I am satisfied because I think I got the most out of the day's effort. Tomorrow there will be another chance for a breakaway, so maybe I can get in the group and defend the jersey."


What Marcel Kittel said:
"It's done - first Giro victory & one in all Grand Tours. Thanks 2 my amazing team for their support!"
"This was our target, getting the Giro off to the best start possible on the flat sprint stages here in Ireland and to re-pay the team here for their confidence and hard work is a great feeling," confirmed Marcel after the finish of the stage in Belfast. 
I have prepared really well for this race with a lot of specific sprint training with the team followed by a hard week in Romandie with nearly the same line-up as we have here, which even though I didn't manage to contest the sprints it was still good for the conditioning. It has got me in good shape for the start of the Giro here and it is good to make the most of this."

What Michael Matthews said:
"Boys today rode awesome can't wait to put on the pink tomorrow morning #giroditalia2014 #whatamoment #livingdream "

What Giacomo Nizzolo said:
"The weather was terrible, it was not really cold, but the rain made it uncomfortable. Normally in this kind or weather I am useless – I hate the rain. But often it is all about head, and the Giro is very important, so… when you also see everyone [on the team] doing his job, that is very motivating, too. I have to say a big thank-you to the team: Everyone was really motivated today which gave me a lot of confidence. I tried to manage as best I could the last left hand corner, which was wet. I was in the wheel of [Marcel] Kittel and when he started his sprint I tried to follow him. I think third was the best place I could take today. Kittel is super fast and Bouhanni is also one of the best sprinters in the world, so finishing third place is good for today. In this kind of stage there are teams here just for this, this is their goal – like Giant Shimano and FDJ. In the end we were right next to them and showed them we are also motivated and have really good legs. We shall see again tomorrow, and then in Italy it will be another Giro. The mood is very good in the team, and this is important when you are in three-week race. Whatever happens, we are all motivated."

What Ben Swift said:
"It was pretty miserable out there for most of the stage but the rain did clear up a bit towards the end.
The sprint itself was not overly-messy. We stuck together as a team really well and I think there was only a brief moment where we weren't riding as a unit. Bernie, CJ and Eddy did a really good job for me and I made a little move going into the last corner to try and get myself in the best position heading into the finish. Unfortunately my wheels slipped a bit as I tried to get back up to speed and it was only when I regained that traction that I could really push on.
I was happy with how I sprinted right at the end, but that top-end speed came a fraction too late and it cost me. Overall, I'm happy though. My aim was to be in the mix in stages like this and there'll be other opportunities to come."


What Cadel Evans said:
"It was quite a long stage to have in the rain and it was quite cold. The goal for us today was to stay safe. It takes good work by the team to stay out of trouble and arrive safely. We have a really good team here and the result in the time trial was the first sign of that."


MORE TO COME
 
RESULTS
STAGE

1 Marcel Kittel (Ger) Team Giant-Shimano
2 Nacer Bouhanni (Fra) FDJ.fr
3 Giacomo Nizzolo (Ita) Trek Factory Racing
4 Elia Viviani (Ita) Cannondale
5 Roberto Ferrari (Ita) Lampre-Merida
6 Manuel Belletti (Ita) Androni Giocattoli
7 Ben Swift (GBr) Team Sky
8 Michael Matthews (Aus) Orica Greenedge
9 Davide Appollonio (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale
10 Tyler Farrar (USA) Garmin Sharp

GC 

1 Michael Matthews (Aus) Orica Greenedge 5:37:54
2 Luke Durbridge (Aus) Orica Greenedge 0:00:03
3 Ivan Santaromita (Ita) Orica Greenedge
4 Svein Tuft (Can) Orica Greenedge
5 Pieter Weening (Ned) Orica Greenedge
6 Cameron Meyer (Aus) Orica Greenedge
7 Rigoberto Uran Uran (Col) Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team 0:00:08
8 Gianluca Brambilla (Ita) Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team
9 Pieter Serry (Bel) Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team
10 Alessandro Petacchi (Ita) Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team
11 Serge Pauwels (Bel) Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team
12 Julien Vermote (Bel) Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team
13 Danilo Wyss (Swi) BMC Racing Team 0:00:10
14 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team
15 Daniel Oss (Ita) BMC Racing Team
16 Steve Morabito (Swi) BMC Racing Team
17 Samuel Sanchez (Spa) BMC Racing Team
18 Yannick Eijssen (Bel) BMC Racing Team 0:00:12
19 Brett Lancaster (Aus) Orica Greenedge 0:00:25
20 Wout Poels (Ned) Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team

No comments: