5.14.2014

Giro d'Italia 5: A Fight for Braves

A fickle sky. Green country of Lucania, socked of history. Riders still socked from the previous days and again when the finish approaches.
A break-away: Farrar, Wegmann, Thurau, Swift, Monsalve, Rubiano, Frapporti, Dehaes, Hurel, Van der Sande, Viviani.  
A few useless but brave attack by Van der  Sande. 25 km to go the break-away splits: Van der Sande, Frapporti, Monsalve and Thurau go in front. The last one on the road is Thurau. Caught with 14 km to go
Descent. Rain. A first small bump. Race radio warns teams and riders of the dangerousness of the descent with the rain. The peloton is splitted and some gc riders are caught behind (Pozzovio, S.Sanchez, Paolini, Duarte). Gasparotto falls, Landa too, then Felline. 
Gianluca Brambilla attacks in the slippery descent. Malacarne comes out the peloton and chase solo. It's a fight for brave. He's caught 4 km to go. Brambilla still away, 3 km to go the sun is out. The road still wet and dangerous. People screaming VAI VAI!! but no: he's caught 1.5 km to go.
Nicolas Roche attacks first, then  Rodriguez, Arrdedondo and Boasson Hagen. At the sprint Diego Ulissi wins, coming from behind powerful and strong. 

I dare anybody to say  that riders didn't have guts today!

What Diego Ulissi said:
"Starting as the big favourite is always difficult. I showed I was ready. So I'm enjoying this moment. I wanted this win to against the big names who were up there in the finale of the stage.
I actually suffered on the descent but felt better on the climb to the line. Rodriguez made a strong attack but my teammate [Przemyslaw] Niemiec helped me position myself well and then I pulled out what I think is a good sprint.
Sometimes so so-called experts think I can't do well in races over 200km. That's not true. I've won long races. I'm just trying to improve year after year and I think my results have proven it. I'm happy to admit my mistakes and that training at altitude before the Classics left me with heavy legs. But I feel good for the Giro. Now I've got to carry on doing what I'm doing and believe in myself. I think I've shown what I can do and that a new generation of Italian riders is slowly coming through."

What Cadel Evans said:
"After days with rain and cold, my legs are not at their best. In the final I was a little blocked with one kilometer to go and without help. But I got back in front and into second place. In the end, l am happy about the result." 

What Julian Arredondo said:
“I am very happy with third place it gives me a lot of confidence for the next stages, and tomorrow is another good stage for me, and I will try again.  I did not attack; I waited and waited in the wheels. When Purito [Joaquin Rodriguez] attacked, I stuck to his wheel. At the end I gave everything but [Diego] Ulissi was the strongest today. I am happy - everything turned out quite well. But the characteristic of the race tomorrow suits me better. Tomorrow – I will try again.”

What Gianluca Brambilla said:
"Today I felt good the entire day. My legs felt strong. I tried to take a few seconds and I went. Despite the conditions on the descent, I was really confident on my Specialized bicycle. I was able to go full gas even if it was technical. I took a good gap, but the uphill to the finish there was a lot of headwind. It was difficult to defend my leadership from the strength of the group that was chasing me. I think without the headwind I could have done better. But the most important thing is how good my legs felt. I am OK and now I am able to help Uran in the next days. Also, this is a confidence booster for me. Last time I was in front like that was Stage 20 of the Giro last year, which finished in Tre Cime di Lavaredo. So, I'm happy to be there again."  

What Tosh Van der Sande said
"First a group of four took off, with Kenny. Next I could join them with six others. We had to fight half an hour to create a sufficient gap. That cost much power for most of us. Besides there was a lot of headwind. The sprinters in our group were only there to take points at the intermediate sprint I guess. Afterwards the vibe was away. A pity, because I had a good feeling. This wasn't the ideal composition for a break. Of course it was a stage of about 200 kilometers and not of for example 160 and that is a difference.
Looking for a peak
Kenny and I tried to keep the pace in the group so a new boost would be created, but that wasn't the case. We did several attempts and put the team in the picture. Since the training camp I have a good feeling about my condition. The whole season I've been riding on a constant level. But now it's time for a peak. I definitely will aim for it in this Giro. There will be more chances, for example if we get to the finish with a small group. Last year's Vuelta was my first Grand Tour ever, I finished it. I came out as a different rider; I definitely put a step forward in my evolution then. I'm also confident about this Giro. The last days are very tough. If you get ill, that can be fatal. But we look at it day by day and if I stay healthy I should definitely make it to the end."


What Michael Matthews said:
"Race day Nr.5 done, it was different as I was imagining the last 4 kms to be. I did my best, made a small mistake in the finnish line but thats cycling. Tomorrow is another day. Now finally some good massag :) "
 
What Rigoberto Uran said:
"Even today wasn't an easy stage with wind and rain in the final. I felt good today on the uphills, but I also felt super comfortable on my Specialized Tarmac on the technical downhill. Then in the final I tried to get a few seconds with the bonifications, but I didn't make it. Still I'm happy I feel good. Today was not really a climber's finish. The fast guys were there with the GC guys. So, we'll see what we can do day-by-day. I am confident with the way my team is working around me. Today they were great the entire day. They stayed with me and brought me to the front of the group. So, everybody did their job perfectly." 


What Rafal Majka (5th today) said:
“Today was not my terrain. I need steeper and longer climbs, but my rivals decided to use the final climb to gain seconds so I followed and finished among the best. I’m a light climber so naturally a climb with an average gradient of about 4-5 percent is not my cup of tea but I felt strong today and received fantastic support from the whole team, who made sure that I didn’t have to spend too much energy during the stage  
I will ride in white tomorrow but it’s not really my jersey. So tomorrow I’ll make it mine. Let’s see how the race develops and if Matthews is able to hang on. Today he did really well and defended his leadership, so we’ll need a tough final if I’m going to take 26 seconds”.


What Maarten Tjallingi said:
"With a little help from my cycling friends here in the I'm still in blue :-)! "

What Dario Cataldo said:
"When I saw @EBhagen in fourth position at 500 m to go, I think: this is the day for Eddy!!!! Don't worry mate, we will try tomorrow again"

RESULTS
STAGE
1 Diego Ulissi (Ita) Lampre-Merida 5:12:39
2 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:00:01
3 Julian David Arredondo Moreno (Col) Trek Factory Racing
4 Rigoberto Uran Uran (Col) Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team
5 Rafal Majka (Pol) Tinkoff-Saxo
6 Michael Matthews (Aus) Orica Greenedge
7 Joaquin Rodriguez Oliver (Spa) Team Katusha
8 Wilco Kelderman (Ned) Belkin Pro Cycling Team
9 Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale
10 Nairo Alexander Quintana Rojas (Col) Movistar Team
11 Pierre Rolland (Fra) Team Europcar
12 Michele Scarponi (Ita) Astana Pro Team
13 Dario Cataldo (Ita) Team Sky
14 Przemyslaw Niemiec (Pol) Lampre-Merida
15 Nicolas Roche (Irl) Tinkoff-Saxo
16 Georg Preidler (Aut) Team Giant-Shimano
17 Matteo Rabottini (Ita) Neri Sottoli - Yellow Fluo
18 Maxime Bouet (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale
19 Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team
20 Franco Pellizotti (Ita) Androni Giocattoli
GC
1 Michael Matthews (Aus) Orica Greenedge 17:41:23
2 Pieter Weening (Ned) Orica Greenedge 0:00:14
3 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:00:15
4 Rigoberto Uran Uran (Col) Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team 0:00:19
5 Rafal Majka (Pol) Tinkoff-Saxo 0:00:26
6 Edvald Boasson Hagen (Nor) Team Sky 0:00:35
7 Nicolas Roche (Irl) Tinkoff-Saxo 0:00:37
8 Michele Scarponi (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:00:41
9 Dario Cataldo (Ita) Team Sky 0:00:49
10 Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:00:52
11 Steve Morabito (Swi) BMC Racing Team
12 Ivan Basso (Ita) Cannondale 0:01:07
13 Gianluca Brambilla (Ita) Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team
14 Nairo Alexander Quintana Rojas (Col) Movistar Team 0:01:09
15 Georg Preidler (Aut) Team Giant-Shimano 0:01:10
16 Julian David Arredondo Moreno (Col) Trek Factory Racing
17 Wilco Kelderman (Ned) Belkin Pro Cycling Team 0:01:12
18 Maxime Bouet (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale
19 Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale
20 Steven Kruijswijk (Ned) Belkin Pro Cycling Team 0:01:15
POINTS
1 Elia Viviani (Ita) Cannondale 119  pts
2 Nacer Bouhanni (Fra) FDJ.fr 115
3 Giacomo Nizzolo (Ita) Trek Factory Racing 106
4 Roberto Ferrari (Ita) Lampre-Merida 96
5 Ben Swift (GBr) Team Sky 86
MOUNTAIN
1 Maarten Tjallingii (Ned) Belkin Pro Cycling Team 12  pts
2 Miguel Angel Rubiano Chavez (Col) Colombia 9
3 Jonathan Monsalve (Ven) Neri Sottoli - Yellow Fluo 4
4 Diego Ulissi (Ita) Lampre-Merida 3
5 Angel Vicioso Arcos (Spa) Team Katusha 3
SPRINTS
1 Elia Viviani (Ita) Cannondale 16  pts
2 Maarten Tjallingii (Ned) Belkin Pro Cycling Team 13
3 Ben Swift (GBr) Team Sky 11
4 Andrea Fedi (Ita) Neri Sottoli - Yellow Fluo 10
5 Yonder Godoy (Ven) Androni Giocattoli 6
YOUTH
1 Michael Matthews (Aus) Orica Greenedge 17:41:23
2 Rafal Majka (Pol) Tinkoff-Saxo 0:00:26
3 Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:00:52
4 Nairo Alexander Quintana Rojas (Col) Movistar Team 0:01:09
5 Georg Preidler (Aut) Team Giant-Shimano 0:01:10
6 Wilco Kelderman (Ned) Belkin Pro Cycling Team 0:01:12
7 Diego Ulissi (Ita) Lampre-Merida 0:01:23
8 Tobias Ludvigsson (Swe) Team Giant-Shimano 0:01:32
9 Pawel Poljanski (Pol) Tinkoff-Saxo
10 Sebastian Henao Gomez (Col) Team Sky 0:01:39
11 Sonny Colbrelli (Ita) Bardiani-CSF 0:01:46
TEAM
1 Astana Pro Team 52:16:05
2 Orica GreenEdge 0:00:07
3 Team Sky 0:00:19
4 Lampre-Merida 0:00:27
5 Tinkoff-Saxo 0:00:29
6 Team Giant-Shimano 0:00:41
7 AG2R La Mondiale 0:00:43
8 BMC Racing Team 0:01:03
9 Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team 0:01:14
10 Trek Factory Racing 0:01:31

No comments: