6.11.2014

Dauphine 4: Trofimov 'A Tomba Aperta' (and more)


'Fortuna audaces iuvat': Lady Luck loves the braves and brave he has been, no doubt. 
There was some climbing on today menu but also a nasty descent as a dessert, down to Gap and then slightly up to the line. Trofimov won and he didn't think to anything: a stone on the road, a small trace of oil, an umpredictable nothing that could mean death. That's why in Italian we say 'a tomba aperta': 'open tomb'. 
You must be a bit crazy.
Nor crazy nor brave Chris Froome is dominating this Dauphiné. He looks absolutely stronger than anybodyelse so he won the prologue without effort and the first mountain stage with a display of power that annihilated the field.
Alberto Contador is also strong, Vincenzo Nibali not yet but he has got all the time. Wilco Kelderman has been so far impressive. Chris Froome is at the moment on a different level. 
I have been watching but not writing: I'm awfully busy for the end of the school, that involves a lot of meetings and bureaucratic stuff. And I still have to post some nice photo from the Giro, so stay tuned.
I'm very happy today because... things go well again with my busy love. Still busy but still love :)

Iurii Trofimov:
"I am very happy today! Honestly I did not expect to win a stage here in the Dauphiné. Because of British visa affairs I had to move part of my preparation from Europe to Russia so I was unsure of my real level of fitness right now. Today we had the job to go in the breakaway and I managed to do that.  The break was a good one and all of the riders worked well. Closer to the finish we all knew we’d have a chance to play for the stage victory. I knew this climb because I was here in the Tour de France. And the last time I made a mistake of attacking too early. This time I let others do that and waited for the perfect moment. Finally everything went well"

Chris Froome: 
 “I’m really happy. I was looked after from beginning to end again today, and even at the line I had three team-mates there with me. It was a really good day for us, and as a team building towards the Tour de France, that’s a really good sign.
We were relaxed coming into the stage and it wouldn’t have been the end of the world if AG2R had taken the jersey from the break with Maxime Bouet in it, but in the end the race was so fast that we were able to keep it. 
We didn’t want to take any risks on that last descent and we always had the situation under control.
I haven’t looked at tomorrow’s stage in too much detail just yet – I’ll study it properly tonight – but there’s a really steep climb towards the finish and that could provide a moment in the race where we can expect quite a few moves. We’re ready for that and as always, our main objective will be to keep hold of the yellow jersey and limit any losses to the other GC riders.”

Bob Jungels: 
“On the final climb I was playing a little bit. Trofimov was not far ahead at the top and I went full gas on the downhill and then…I was coming really fast into a corner, and then the back wheel jammed – maybe because of the melting tarmac - and I did an endo into the grass. It looked pretty spectacular but I only have some bruising and scratches. I am okay.
I knew it was a good stage for me with the downhill at the end because normally I am okay in the downhill. I wanted to go in the break today and I did it. In the end it was my own fault that I did not make the finish. It’s okay – that's part of racing.
It was really hard to get away. On the first climb no break had gone yet. We went full gas on the climb and no one could attack. Even on the downhill [Sylvain] Chavanel tried but Sky closed all the gaps. After the downhill there was a small counter attack and I waited for that. I also saw that everyone was tired so it was a good moment. It was hard, we all had to go really deep to be in the break.”

Greg Van Avermaet:
"With one kilometer to go, I did not realize it was so tricky. So it was not possible for me to move up. The last kilometer I was just following wheels."

MORE TO COME

RESULTS
STAGE 1 ITT
1 Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky 0:13:14
2 Alberto Contador Velasco (Spa) Team Tinkoff-Saxo 0:00:08
3 Bob Jungels (Lux) Trek Factory Racing 0:00:09
4 Andrew Talansky (USA) Garmin-Sharp 0:00:11
5 Wilco Kelderman (Ned) Belkin Pro Cycling Team
6 Lars Boom (Ned) Belkin Pro Cycling Team 0:00:12
7 Vasil Kiryienka (Blr) Team Sky
8 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:00:13
9 Tejay Van Garderen (USA) BMC Racing Team
10 Matthias Brandle (Aut) IAM Cycling

STAGE 2
1 Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky 4:24:41
2 Alberto Contador Velasco (Spa) Team Tinkoff-Saxo
3 Wilco Kelderman (Ned) Belkin Pro Cycling Team 0:00:04
4 Jurgen Van Den Broeck (Bel) Lotto-Belisol 0:00:10
5 Andrew Talansky (USA) Garmin-Sharp 0:00:12
6 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:00:27
7 Igor Anton Hernandez (Spa) Movistar 0:00:40
8 Adam Yates (GBr) Orica GreenEdge 0:00:42
9 Sébastien Reichenbach (Swi) IAM Cycling 0:00:44
10 Daniel Navarro Garcia (Spa) Cofidis, Solutions Credits. 0:00:45
STAGE 3
1 Nikias Arndt (Ger) Team Giant-Shimano 5:30:03
2 Kris Boeckmans (Bel) Lotto-Belisol
3 Reinardt Janse Van Rensburg (RSA) Team Giant-Shimano
4 Yannick Martinez (Fra) Team Europcar
5 Davide Cimolai (Ita) Lampre-Merida
6 Jens Keukeleire (Bel) Orica GreenEdge
7 Alexey Tsatevitch (Rus) Team Katusha
8 Arnaud Demare (Fra) Fdj.fr
9 Gianni Meersman (Bel) Omega Pharma Quick Step Cycling Team
10 Marco Marcato (Ita) Cannondale
STAGE 4
1 Yury Trofimov (Rus) Katusha
2 Gustav Larsson (Swe) IAM Cycling 0:00:23
3 Pim Ligthart (Ned) Lotto Belisol 0:00:25
4 Lars-Peter Nordhaug (Nor) Belkin 0:00:28
5 Peter Velits (Svk) BMC
6 Maxime Bouet (Fra) Ag2r La Mondiale
7 Jan Bakelants (Bel) Omega Pharma-QuickStep
8 Damiano Caruso (Ita) Cannondale
9 Andriy Grivko (Ukr) Astana 0:01:31
10 Ryder Hesjedal (Can) Garmin-Sharp

GC
1 Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky 14:09:19
2 Alberto Contador Velasco (Spa) Team Tinkoff-Saxo 0:00:12
3 Wilco Kelderman (Ned) Belkin Pro Cycling Team 0:00:21
4 Andrew Talansky (USA) Garmin-Sharp 0:00:33
5 Jurgen Van Den Broeck (Bel) Lotto-Belisol 0:00:35
6 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:00:50
7 Maxime Bouet (Fra) Ag2r-La Mondiale 0:01:01
8 Haimar Zubeldia Agirre (Spa) Trek Factory Racing 0:01:22
9 Jakob Fuglsang (Den) Astana Pro Team
10 Adam Yates (GBr) Orica GreenEdge 0:01:31
POINTS JERSEY
1 Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky 30  pts
MOUNTAIN JERSEY
1 Kevin Reza (Fra) Team Europcar 44  pts
BEST YOUTH JERSEY
1 Wilco Kelderman (Ned) Belkin Pro Cycling Team 14:09:40  
BEST TEAM
 1 Astana Pro Team


No comments: