6.14.2014

Dauphine 7: Contador re-opens the race (and Westra too)

Pic by
Incredible. It looked closed: a break-away - Tony Gallopin, Westra, Visconti, Kadri, Gautier, Brändle, De Marchi, Van Avermaet, Silin,Trofimov, Alaphilippe, Hesjedal, Boom, Schorn - two riders on the attack, Team Sky in absolute control, Froome on the wheels. Contador on his wheel.
De Marchi is there to secure his Polka Jersey, and he does.
The two riders in front are team-mates Silin and Trofimov, they smell the victory. Then Westra wins! 
Andrea De Marchi secured the Polka Jersey
Chris Froome looked confortable in his Yellow Jersey, untouchable. Then Contador attacked and suddenly he sank, fragile, unable to respond. 
He responds, chases solo, pain on his face after yesterday crash. The Jersey's gone. Few seconds. Only one stage. But the Dauphiné is the first round of something way more important...
Iurii Trofimov:
"At the final climb we gave 100% we had because we knew Westra was close but at the finish we missed just a little. When we went in the break together we decided to try the team’s strategy, we spoke with each other and attacked one by one. Finally I managed to go solo, while on the descent I’ve received information that Egor was just behind me. So I waited for him to attack the final climb together. The stage was very tough and the final climb was very hard. But it’s good that I can test my form here at the Dauphiné and show great determination in every stage."
Egor Silin:
"I am a little bit disappointed because the victory was so close but we did all that we could. I felt quite good during the stage, much better than two days ago when I was in the breakaway with Simon Špilak. I feel I’m progressing every day. Before Dauphiné I was at home in Russia, so it was hard to climb an HC category. So this was a good test for me in real racing conditions. And I’m happy with it. On the penultimate climb when Iurii went away, nobody could follow him. When I saw how far he’d gone, I decided to try myself too. It worked. Before the final climb I joined him and we started to work together. In the final we missed by the slimmest margin. But tomorrow we will have one more mountain stage, and we will try again"

Alberto Contador:
 “I didn’t get the stage win today, since we had given the breakaway a big advantage. But I managed to take 20 seconds on Froome and even more time on some of my other rivals, which means that I’ll be in the yellow jersey with just one stage to go. Even more important, I saw that I am getting better every day and that I’m progressing ahead of the Tour. Sky set a hard tempo in the finale but I had great support from my teammates until the last climb, where I was strong enough to make a decisive move on my own."

Chris Froome ‏ 
"Chapeau to Alberto Contador for taking over the lead today. My team mates did such an amazing job but I ran out of steam at the end...There’s still one more tough stage to go tomorrow, we're not going to throw in the towel just yet! "


Wilco Kelderman: 

“It was a tough day. On the first climb the race immediately exploded. When a breakaway with Lars Boom broke free, the peloton continued to ride a high pace. Until the penultimate climb, the pace was good for me. With about five kilometres to go, I couldn’t follow anymore. I have to say, I didn’t have my best day. Maybe I’m better tomorrow. I’m going to give my all one more time. I really want to keep that white jersey. That would be awesome.”

Tejay van Garderen:
"I was hoping to stay with the leaders longer. I guess I will just have to take a step back and get a little perspective knowing I had an injury and it has taken me a little bit longer to come back to my same level than I thought. I just have to stay patient, stay confident and stay the course. I really believe that in July this will be behind me and I will be able to be right up there fighting for a good GC (general classification) place."
MORE TO COME

RESULTS
STAGE
1 Lieuwe Westra (Ned) Astana 04:32:51
2 Yuriy Trofimov (Rus) Katusha 00:00:07
3 Egor Silin (Rus) Katusha 00:00:16

4 Alberto Contador (Spa) Tinkoff-Saxo 00:01:33 
5 Andrew Talansky (USA) Garmin-Sharp 00:01:51
6 Ryder Hesjedal (Can) Garmin-Sharp 00:01:53
7 Chris Froome (GBr) Sky
8 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Astana 00:02:11
9 Romain Bardet (Fra) Ag2r-La Mondiale 00:02:16

10 Sébastien Reichenbach (Swi) IAM Cycling 00:02:19
GC
1 Alberto Contador (Spa) Tinkoff-Saxo 27:46:51
2 Chris Froome (GBr) Sky 00:00:08
5 Andrew Talansky (USA) Garmin-Sharp 00:00:39
4 Wilco Kelderman (Ned) Belkin 00:00:59
5 Jurgen Van Den Broeck (Bel) Lotto Belisol 00:01:14
6 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Astana 00:01:16
7 Romain Bardet (Fra) Ag2r-La Mondiale 00:02:11
8 Sébastien Reichenbach (Swi) IAM Cycling 00:02:14
9 Leopold Konig (Cze) NetApp-Endura 00:03:00
10 Lieuwe Westra (Ned) Astana 00:04:04



Contador on Froome's wheel
Trofimov and Silin on the attack
Surprise: Westra wins

No comments: