6.15.2014

Dauphine 8: Yellow Revolution

Contador attacks Froome
The break-away is top quality today: Talansky, Bardet, Van Den Broeck, Nieve, Yates, Van Garderen, Gadret and Navarro. And Talansky is virtually the Yellow Jersey. 
Behind Kelderman and Nibali are chasing and gaining time on Contador and Froome. Once again Team Sky looks stronger than Sky leader: Chris Froome struggles to hang on his team mates' wheels.
When Alberto Contador attacks Froome can't follow. Contador jumps from group to group up the road at a completely different speed.
Atop the climb, down the descent: blasting! Talansky wants it. Bardet joins.
The break-away
The summit finish is in Courchevel, the last climb, Montée de Courchevel Le Praz (cat 1), is 5.9 km long with an average gradient of 6.2%. It's a breathtaking fight of all against all. In the chase Kelderman drops Nibali. Probably informed of Chris Froome's debacle, Nieve attacks the break for the stage victory. He has given blood and soul for his team, now he's free and gives all for glory.
Contador didn't give up. He made a big mistake today, charmed by the face to face duel with Chris Froome he forgot the rest. He's on the road and flying but time also flies.  Nibali has cracked: Contador passes him, Voeckler on his wheel but quickly dropped. It's a furious chase but the clock doesn't stop. Ahead Talansky knows he had won the Dauphiné.
Nieve crosses the line, just the gap to rise the arms. Then Bardet, then Adam Yates, then Talansky and van den Broeck.
Talansky bursts on tears. Wilco Kelderman brings on his White.
Anthology race!
Point Jersey at least for Chris Froome
Garmin DS Geert Van Bondt: 
“We knew coming in that today’s short, hilly stage could be dangerous .  After 20 km there was a short hard climb, where there were many attacks and a group of 21 riders went clear. Andrew and Ryder were in it so it was the perfect situation for us. Ryder did an amazing job helping Andrew all day and all week. Then, at  20 km to go, we told Andrew that he had to do his own TT and give everything and go for the GC win. He did it, and he showed today that he is a true champion. We are very happy and proud of this win.”
Andrew Talansky:
“Today was an amazing day for me and a big step forward. I had great support from the team all week and especially from Ryder. Thanks to him and the entire team. This is such a special victory.”
Ryder Hesjedal:
“Helping Andrew take the win today was a honor. Its been a hard week of racing but we’ve worked as a team and I’m really proud of his victory. Andrew showed amazing grit and perseverance and I couldn’t be happier for him and the team.”



Chris Froome:
"I've felt completely blocked up through my front of quads since the crash and I’ve not been able to engage the same types of muscles that I used in the earlier stages. That definitely affected me today, and while it's frustrating, we can take a lot of things away from this race. We’ve had three stage wins, taken the points jersey, and produced a dominant team performance. Tinkoff-Saxo only held the jersey for one day but we defended it for six stages until Alberto took it yesterday. He’s shown he’s in great form ahead of the Tour though, and we’re definitely going to have a battle on our hands in July."

Mikel Nieve:

"The plan had always been to send me up the road with the intention that I would work for Froomey if and when the breakaway came back. When David and Richie dropped back to support him, I was told to hold my position, and then I got the go-ahead to attack on the last climb of the day when we knew that Chris wasn’t feeling great. I got my chance and I'm happy I took it. haven't won much in my career but I’ve been proud to win in some of the sport’s biggest races. This one is really important to me, and it’s right up there with my Vuelta and Giro stage successes. Obviously, I’d like to win one in the Tour de France as well, but we’ll have to see with that one, working for Froomey will be my main objective again there. He was disappointed today but he’s really happy with how the team has performed this week. He’s recovering from his crash and he’s relaxed because he knows in a few days he’ll be right back to his best. A fall like that really takes it out of you but he’ll be good to go at the Tour, we all will."

Wilco Kelderman: 
“It was very early in the stage that Nieve, Talanksy and Van den Broeck attacked with some others. Just after the first climb. I could have followed them, but I watched Contador and he waited. On the penultimate climb, Froome and Contador kept looking at each other and so I decided to attack with Nibali and Fuglsang. Unfortunately, I just couldn’t bridge to the leaders. They kept me hanging at around twenty seconds. That’s unlucky because otherwise I could have finished third overall, ahead of Van den Broeck. Anyway, I won the white jersey and I’m very happy with that.”

RESULTS
STAGE
1 Mikel Nieve (Spa) Team Sky
2 Romain Bardet (Fra) Ag2r-La Mondiale 00:00:03
3 Adam Yates (GBr) Orica-GreenEdge 00:00:05
4 Andrew Talansky (USA) Garmin-Sharp 00:00:09
5 Jurgen van den Broeck (Bel) Lotto-Belisol
6 Tejay van Garderen (USA) BMC 0:00:15
7 Wilco Kelderman (Ned) Belkin 0:00:32
8 John Gadret (Fra) Movistar 0:00:36
9 Daniel Navarro (Spa) Cofidis 0:00:41
10 Alberto Contador (Spa) Tinkoff-Saxo 0:01:15GC
1 Andrew Talansky (USA) Garmin-Sharp
2 Alberto Contador (Spa) Tinkoff-Saxo 00:00:27
3 Jurgen Van Den Broeck (Bel) Lotto-Belisol 00:00:35
4 Wilco Kelderman (Ned) Belkin 00:00:43
5 Romain Bardet (Fra) Ag2r-La Mondiale 00:01:20
6 Adam Yates (GBr) Orica-GreenEdge 00:02:05
7 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Astana 0:02:12
8 Mikel Nieve (Spa) Team Sky 0:02:59
9 Daniel Navarro (Spa) Cofidis 0:03:04
10 Jakob Fuglsang (Den) Astana 0:03:17 

WHITE JERSEY
Wilco Kelderman
Talansky balsing in the descent
Kelderman and Nibali chasing
Nieve goes solo
Talansky at the finish
Stage winner Mikel Nieve

No comments: