7.23.2014

Tour de France 17: "I Want It All!"...and other mottos

Embedded image permalink
Rafal Majka: "I Want It All!"

Rafal Majka should pick it as his motto. Polka Dots Jersey and a second stage victory are the rich prey. In front of Purito, atop the Pla d’Adet. 
"I must thank Nicolas Roche" he said "He worked all day and gave it all for me. I couldn't have done it without him." And it's true. Once again the pride of a team that had lost his leader in such a traumatic way. 
Embedded image permalink
Vasil Kiryenka: "I Always Do My Best!"
Once again Vasil Kiryenka solo in front for Team Sky. He got caught but they had to pull hard. "I Always Do My Best" could make for him. He would have deserved the Red Number in my opinion but I understand why it went to Romain Bardet: his motto should be "I Don't Give Up!". Yesterday he had lost his White and his podium to Pinot and today he launched a fearless attack in the last descent. It didn't work but chapeau le mec!
Thibaut Pinot didn't take any risk but wisely chased on the last climb. It worked. Also dued to the special guest on his wheel - and out: Vincenzo Nibali. "I Want It All" suits him as well: he easily dropped Valverde - who was supposed to attack - and went with Perraud to catch all the rest of the previous break-away. The race leader once again was on the awarding podium twice: to wear his Yellow Jersey and as 3rd in the stage. 2nd was another strong guy from Sicily: Giovanni Visconti. His motto: "I Believe In Myself".
Embedded image permalink
A dangerous move by Majka...
A special mention goes to the Top Ten Fighters: Baucke Mollema, Frank Schleck, Leo Konig, Pierre Rolland... and a coming back Richie Porte.
But bravo Alessandro De Marchi: sickness didn't give him any rest in the rest day but today he was back up there.

RAFAL MAJKA:
"I'm just so happy about this result and these results that we have accomplished in the last couple of days and today, me teammates really worked hard for me and especially Nico (Roche) was digging hard to set me up on the final climb. I wasn't so sure about how managing the stage at first but Bjarne told me to go for the stage and if we take the stage, we will have the jersey and here we are,"
RESULTS
STAGE
1 Rafal Majka (Pol) Tinkoff-Saxo 3:35:29
2 Giovanni Visconti (Ita) Movistar Team 0:00:29
3 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:00:46
4 Jean-Christophe Peraud (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:00
5 Alessandro De Marchi (Ita) Cannondale 0:00:49
6 Pierre Rolland (Fra) Team Europcar 0:00:52
7 Frank Schleck (Lux) Trek Factory Racing 0:01:12
8 Bauke Mollema (Ned) Belkin Pro Cycling Team 0:00
9 Nicolas Roche (Irl) Tinkoff-Saxo 0:01:25
10 Alejandro Valverde Belmonte (Spa) Movistar Team 0:01:35
GC
1 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Astana Pro Team 76:41:28
2 Alejandro Valverde Belmonte (Spa) Movistar Team 0:05:26
3 Thibaut Pinot (Fra) FDJ.fr 0:06:00
4 Jean-Christophe PĂ©raud (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:06:08
5 Romain Bardet (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:07:34
6 Tejay Van Garderen (USA) BMC Racing Team 0:10:19
7 Bauke Mollema (Ned) Belkin Pro Cycling 0:11:59
8 Laurens Ten Dam (Ned) Belkin Pro Cycling 0:12:16
9 Leopold Konig (Cze) Team Netapp-Endura 0:12:40
10 Pierre Rolland (Fra) Team Europcar 0:13:15
11 Haimar Zubeldia Agirre (Spa) Trek Factory Racing 0:14:26
12 Jurgen Van Den Broeck (Bel) Lotto-Belisol 0:16:08
13 Frank Schleck (Lux) Trek Factory Racing 0:18:03
14 Yury Trofimov (Rus) Team Katusha 0:28:00
15 Richie Porte (Aus) Team Sky 0:31:00
16 Steven Kruijswijk (Ned) Belkin Pro Cycling
17 Brice Feillu (Fra) Bretagne - Seche Environnement 0:32:14
18 Christopher Horner (USA) Lampre - Merida 0:34:48
19 Mikel Nieve Iturralde (Spa) Team Sky 0:36:09
20 Michal Kwiatkowski (Pol) Omega Pharma-Quick Step 0:36:41
POINTS JERSEY
Peter Sagan
POLKA
Rafal Majka
WHITE

Thibaut Pinot
TEAM
AG2R
Embedded image permalink
Romain Bardet: "I Don't Give Up!"
Embedded image permalink
Vincenzo Nibali: "I Want It All!" (too)
Embedded image permalink
Top Ten Fighter Frank Schleck
Embedded image permalink
Alejandro Valverde cracks
Embedded image permalink
Nicolas Roche worked hard all day

No comments: