8.19.2014

Cycling So Far (...from far)

Eneco Tour final podium
I tried hard, but it didn't work and after a while I gave up. I'm talking about Eneco. I really tried to watch the last stages but miserably failed. When stage 6 started I was in train but arrived in time for the streaming, sadly there wasn't wii-fii in my room and mine didn't work. It was rainy and fucking cold, I sank into my bed and emerged only for dinner.
Where am I? You'll find out in the next posts!
As far as Eneco is concerned, I'm totally aware that I missed some great racingTim Wellens won the overall bravely attacking in the mini-Liège in spite Lars Boom bravely responded. Geraint Thomas scored another top ten result, that's good but not so good. Dumoulin, Grivko, Van Avermaet and Keukeleire confirmed to be in a splendid shape. Also bravo to Matteo Trentin and Ben Gastauer. 
Team Belkin simply dominated the Artic Race of Norway. That was one of BMC Thor Hushovd 's last races, in the last stage he attacked with 1.5 kilometers to go and was overtaken in the final 100 meters by Katusha's Alexander Kristoff who won. A great racing and a great lanscape for a short tour that is growing up.
Bad news for TFR Eugenio Alafaci: he crashed in the Eneco last stage and got injuried - some ribs and the collarbone. Kroon brought him down and today apologised. 
Instead Alexis Vuillermoz was training while he crashed:  fractured wrist for him and no tour du Limousin. "Hard to be back to the home trainer in August!" he said. Get well soon both of you!

Eneco's winner Tim Wellens:
"Before this weekend I had never won a race yet, so this is definitely the highlight of my career so far. A WorldTour victory in Belgium is really special. Many people cheered for me along the way, start town Riemst is at 20 kilometers from my parents' house.
Before the stage there was more attention for the danger of the wind than for Boom and Dumoulin. The way the team performed today is fantastic. I could actually be relaxed in the wheel of Sieberg first and than that of Roelandts. Belkin tried to make an echelon twice, but we never had problems. We were really focused and only on the last hill Boom and Dumoulin tried to force something.
Two days before the start I went to see the team doctor because I was ill. We postponed the decision to start and of course I'm very pleased I did start. The beginning of the week was difficult for the team, but as of Friday I started believing there were opportunities. And with Jelle Vanendert I had a teammate who was really strong as well.
The opportunities me and other young Belgian riders get wouldn't be there without the immense support of Lotto. The different projects with which they give chances to young riders to develop their talent brought me to where I am today. The Belgian cycling project, with the support of so many Belgian partners, is indispensable for our cycling sport.
This victory doesn't mean I will start as a favourite in the next one-day races of the WorldTour, but I'm eager to perform well in Plouay - working for the team - Québec, Montréal and Lombardia."

Lars Boom (2nd):
“Tim was the strongest and deserved to win. I’m satisfied, however. I have had a super Eneco Tour. I felt good every day of the race. It was a beautiful week. Last year, I had a weak day in the Ardennes, but yesterday, I finished second there. I’m very happy with that. You could say that this is a new milestone in my career.
We were in Limburg today and the narrow roads made it very nervous. The boys rode super-fast to put Wellens under pressure. In the final, Greg Van Avermaet was early with an attack and I had to jump to get back in his wheel. That was a pity. 
Tomorrow morning, I’ll go for a swim with my daughters. After that I’m scheduled to ride Hamburg, Plouay, the Tour of Britain and hopefully the Worlds. I’ve shown that I still have the desire to race and that my motivation is huge.”

Artic Race's winner Steven Kruijswijk
"I am really happy. I’d never expected this in advance to win this race. It’s really great. It’s nice to give something back after the renewal of my contract with the team. 
It was a real team effort. From the beginning of the week, we took initiative and carried the race. Today, again, we were able to keep the leader's jersey. It was difficult to keep the pace high — because we were missing one man — but we managed to stay within time on Kristoff."
Petter Nordhaug:
"We're the strongest team here,"
Belkin DS Michiel Elijzen:
"We were able to control most of the race. It was a great job by Stef Clement, Jonathan Hivert and Nick van der Lijke. Unfortunately, we lost David Tanner, who had to abandon on the first day. It was a tough victory, but we made it. We knew Kristoff would take some bonus seconds today; and it was close, but you only need one second to win.

Thor Hushovd (2nd):  
"I really wanted to win for myself and everyone here. I could hear the cheers and applause of the crowd all around today. I was thinking I had to attack and I think I did a good move, but I could not stay away. To get beat on the line like that was hard." 

BMC DS Yvon Ledanois:
"We knew how important this was for Thor. A victory would have been perfect, but second is not bad. It changes nothing in the way people here celebrated him and his career today."

Eneco Tour

STAGE 6
1 Tim Wellens (Bel) Lotto Belisol 4:28:19  
2 Lars Boom (Ned) Belkin-Pro Cycling Team 0:00:50  
3 Greg Van Avermaet (Bel) BMC Racing Team 0:00:52  
4 Tom Dumoulin (Ned) Team Giant-Shimano  
5 Geraint Thomas (GBr) Team Sky 0:00:56  
6 Andriy Grivko (Ukr) Astana Pro Team 0:00:58  
7 Jelle Vanendert (Bel) Lotto Belisol 0:00:59  
8 Niki Terpstra (Ned) Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team  
9 Philippe Gilbert (Bel) BMC Racing Team  
10 Marco Marcato (Ita) Cannondale  
11 Ben Gastauer (Lux) AG2R La Mondiale 0:01:04  
12 Arnold Jeannesson (Fra) Fdj.fr  
13 Elia Favilli (Ita) Lampre-Merida 0:01:07  
14 Jens Keukeleire (Bel) Orica GreenEdge  
15 Sebastian Langeveld (Ned) Garmin Sharp
STAGE 7
1 Guillaume Van Keirsbulck (Bel) Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team 4:25:47  
2 Matteo Trentin (Ita) Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team 0:00:46  
3 Yves Lampaert (Bel) Topsport Vlaanderen - Baloise  
4 Julien Vermote (Bel) Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team  
5 Kristijan Koren (Slo) Cannondale  
6 Laurens De Vreese (Bel) Wanty - Groupe Gobert  
7 Pablo Lastras Garcia (Spa) Movistar Team  
8 Danilo Hondo (Ger) Trek Factory Racing  
9 Silvan Dillier (Swi) BMC Racing Team  
10 Dylan Van Baarle (Ned) Garmin Sharp  
11 Greg Van Avermaet (Bel) BMC Racing Team 0:01:01  
12 Andriy Grivko (Ukr) Astana Pro Team  
13 Tom Dumoulin (Ned) Team Giant-Shimano  
14 Filippo Pozzato (Ita) Lampre-Merida  
15 Boy Van Poppel (Ned) Trek Factory Racing
GC
1 Tim Wellens (Bel) Lotto Belisol 25:30:15  
2 Lars Boom (Ned) Belkin-Pro Cycling Team 0:00:07  
3 Tom Dumoulin (Ned) Team Giant-Shimano 0:00:13  
4 Andriy Grivko (Ukr) Astana Pro Team 0:00:33  
5 Greg Van Avermaet (Bel) BMC Racing Team 0:00:34  
6 Geraint Thomas (GBr) Team Sky 0:00:38  
7 Philippe Gilbert (Bel) BMC Racing Team 0:00:48  
8 Jens Keukeleire (Bel) Orica GreenEdge 0:00:56  
9 Sebastian Langeveld (Ned) Garmin Sharp 0:01:04  
10 Marco Marcato (Ita) Cannondale 0:01:11  
11 Viacheslav Kuznetsov (Rus) Team Katusha 0:01:15  
12 Jelle Vanendert (Bel) Lotto Belisol 0:01:32  
13 Ben Gastauer (Lux) AG2R La Mondiale 0:01:34  
14 Arnold Jeannesson (Fra) Fdj.fr 0:01:51  
15 Pavel Brutt (Rus) Team Katusha 0:01:57  
16 Alexandre Pichot (Fra) Team Europcar 0:02:10  
17 Jack Bauer (NZl) Garmin Sharp 0:02:23  
18 Manuele Mori (Ita) Lampre-Merida 0:02:40  
19 Vincent Jerome (Fra) Team Europcar 0:03:09  
20 Julien Vermote (Bel) Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team 0:05:59
SPRINTS
1 Tom Dumoulin (Ned) Team Giant-Shimano
PRIUS
1 Kenneth Van Bilsen (Bel) Topsport Vlaanderen - Baloise
TEAM
1 Garmin Sharp

Arctic Race of Norway 
14.08 Stage 1 NORDHAUG Lars Petter   NORDHAUG Lars Petter 204
15.08 Stage 2  KRISTOFF Alexander   NORDHAUG Lars Petter 207
16.08 Stage 3 ŠPILAK Simon   KRUIJSWIJK Steven 132
17.08 Stage 4 KRISTOFF Alexander   165
17.08 General Classification KRUIJSWIJK Steven  
17.08 Points Classification KRISTOFF Alexander  
17.08 Mountains Classification JENSEN August  
17.08 Youth Classification VILLELLA Davide  

17.08 Teams Classification BELKIN-PRO CYCLING TEAM  
FINAL GC
1 Steven Kruijswijk (Ned) Belkin Pro Cycling Team 17:22:12  
2 Alexander Kristoff (Nor) Team Katusha 0:00:04  
3 Lars Petter Nordhaug (Nor) Belkin Pro Cycling Team 0:00:18  
4 Davide Villella (Ita) Cannondale 0:00:19  
5 Paul Voss (Ger) Team NetApp - Endura 0:00:25  
6 Kevin Ledanois (Fra) Bretagne-Séché Environnement 0:00:29  
7 Martin Elmiger (Sui) IAM Cycling 0:00:30  
8 Loïc Vliegen (Bel) BMC Racing Team 0:00:42  
9 Amaël Moinard (Fra) BMC Racing Team 0:00:45  
10 Romain Lemarchand (Fra) Cofidis, Solutions Crédits 0:00:52  
11 Michael Einar Olsson (Swe) Team Ringeriks - Kraft 0:00:59  
12 Michel Kreder (Ned) Wanty – Groupe Gobert 0:01:01  
13 Matthias Brandle (Aut) IAM Cycling 0:01:17  
14 Jonathan Hivert (Fra) Belkin Pro Cycling Team 0:01:23  
15 Vegard Stake Laengen (Nor) Bretagne-Séché Environnement 0:01:27  
16 Quentin Jauregui (Fra) Roubaix Lille Métropole 0:01:37  
17 Marc De Maar (Aho) UnitedHealthcare Pro Cycling Team 0:01:45  
18 Preben Van Hecke (Bel) Topsport Vlaanderen - Baloise 0:01:46  
19 Sindre Skjoestad Lunke (Nor) Team Sparebanken Sør 0:01:51  

20 Frederik Wilman (Nor) Team Ringeriks - Kraft 0:01:52

No comments: