8.29.2014

Good News: ORICA-GE Daryl Impey cleared to race (and my opinion)

vuelta_previewFrom Daryl's site:
http://www.darylimpey.com/News/DisplayNewsItem.aspx?niid=37516

"On Thursday 28th August 2014, I finally got the chance to prove my case against the allegation: That I had committed an anti-doping violation for a diuretic called Probenecid. 
Whilst I never disputed the lab results and the finding, I was put in a very tough position of defending my case due to strict liability. That being said, and after already having to go back 5 months to try find out how this could have happened, I finally was able to prove that this was a case of cross-contamination and I was also cleared of any fault or negligence on my part.  
It has been definitely the hardest two months of my life, it has been a huge financial loss and has been tough on my whole family. But I was determined to show that I am clean and that I would never cheat to try get an advantage over my competitors.  I am so relieved that this has now been proven.  
While I can now put this behind me and move on, I would like to thank my wife, my family, my team ORICA-GreenEDGE, friends and fans who sent me such kind messages during this tough time and I am thrilled that I could prove my innocence for all of you who stood by me. I would also like to thank my legal team Christopher Kok (Webber Wentzel), Ivan Miltz, Justin Bitter, Mike Morgan (Morgan Sports Law) and Chris Hattingh for their amazing help in resolving the matter. 
I am hoping to return back to racing now, and hopefully compete before the World Championships in September. I re-iterate my stance against doping and I will continue to race clean throughout my career. Right now, I am just really happy that I can be a bike rider again and do what I love the most."

According to Cycletips
http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/08/daryl-impey-cleared-of-doping-durban-pharmacist-takes-responsibility/"
"The Star newspaper in South Africa reports that Impey had visited the chemist to buy empty capsules to fill with bicarbonate of soda for use in the South African road race championships. Impey was reportedly told that the pharmacist had no capsules but later received a call saying that some capsules had been found. Impey went back to the chemist to buy the capsules that afternoon.

According to The Star, the pharmacist had dispensed Probenicid to another customer just before servig Impey, and that “his hands had contaminated Impey’s capsules”. At Thursday’s hearing, the pharmacy produced cash register receipts showing time and purchase information to confirm the story.

In ORICA-GS Press Release:
Daryl Impey:
“I’m thrilled to have been given the notification that I’m 100% OK to race again and no sanction whatsoever will be applied. I was confident in my defense and I’m thankful that I was given the chance clear my name beyond any type of doubt. It’s been a tough period to get through, but I’d like to thank my team for giving me the possibility to focus solely on getting this process done properly. All I can think of now is that I get to join my team and race my bike again as soon as possible,” said Impey.
General Manager Shayne Bannan:
“We are extremely happy with the fact that Daryl has been 100% cleared to race and we all look forward to having him back riding for us. Daryl is a key rider for the team and we very pleased with how he has handled his case and the process around it. We will reinstate Daryl in our racing roster as soon as possible.”

My Opinion
I'm happy too!! Doping news about Daryl Impey had really surprised me and reactions of people deprecating him and the sport had deeply bittered me. They talked a bit too early and it's maybe a good think: so now evrybody can judge about friends loyalty and press professionalism. Amen.


No comments: