8.25.2014

USA Pro Challenge Sum Up (and The Jensie Farwell)


Hard to believe but it's over: that was The Jensie last race. But I see he has got good planns for the future! Great rider and great man, we'll miss him. But hey, even super heros need a private life and time to enjoy their family (a large one in this case). Best wishes Jens! finally your legs are allowed to speak!
Colorado is a beautiful place and Tejay van Garderen took here a beautiful win: the second in a row. BMC was awarded as the best team in the race and van Garderen contributed by two stages victories.
Sum up a good Pro Challenge for TFR, that won a stage by Laurent Didier and put two riders in the top 15 (Busche 5th is a great result). Very good Majka, still in shape after an incredible season (Giro and Tour at the top) and bravo Huzarski, who gives NetAp-Endura a 7th place in the final GC.
Interesting exploits by the young Alex Howes and moreover Clément Chevrier. A solid victory by Elia Viviani: one of the best sprinter in the peloton, often busy working for others.
I probably forgot somebody but I didn't watch it so I'm just interpretating the results.

RESULTS
18.08 Stage 1 | Aspen » Aspen REIJNEN Kiel   REIJNEN Kiel 98
19.08 Stage 2 | Aspen » Crested Butte CARPENTER Robin   HOWES Alex 169
20.08 Stage 3 | Gunnison » Monarch Mountain VAN GARDEREN Tejay VAN GARDEREN Tejay 155
21.08 Stage 4 | Colorado Springs » Colorado Springs VIVIANI Elia   VAN GARDEREN Tejay 113
22.08 Stage 5 | Woodland Park » Breckenridge DIDIER Laurent  VAN GARDEREN Tejay 168
23.08 Stage 6 (ITT) | Vail » Vail VAN GARDEREN Tejay   VAN GARDEREN Tejay 16.1
24.08 Stage 7 | Boulder » Denver HOWES Alex   126
24.08 General Classification VAN GARDEREN Tejay  
24.08 Points Classification REIJNEN Kiel  
24.08 Mountains Classification JACQUES-MAYNES Benjamin  
24.08 Youth Classification CHEVRIER Clément  
24.08 Teams Classification BMC RACING TEAM  


Final GC
1 VAN GARDEREN TejayBMC Racing Team10015020:05:42
2 DANIELSON ThomasGarmin Sharp701101:32
3 TVETCOV SergheiJelly Belly p/b Maxxis40901:45
4 MAJKA RafałTinkoff-Saxo30801:49
5 BUSCHE MatthewTrek Factory Racing 25703:11
6 ROSSKOPF JoeyHincapie Sportswear Development Team20603:31
7 HUZARSKI BartoszTeam NetApp – Endura15553:35
8 JONES CarterOptum p/b Kelly Benefit Strategies10503:43
9 HERMANS BenBMC Racing Team9453:44
10 PIRES BrunoTinkoff-Saxo8405:35
11 KYER JulianTeam SmartStop 7365:51
12 CHEVRIER ClémentBissell Development Team6326:31
13 HOWES AlexGarmin Sharp5287:07
14 POLJANSKI PawelTinkoff-Saxo4247:32
15 ZOIDL RiccardoTrek Factory Racing 3207:4

Tejay van Garderen:
"I really worked hard for this so it is really satisfying, especially to win such a great race in the state where I
live. It is made even better by the fact that we also won the team title. To be able to celebrate up there on the
podium with all of my teammates was a proud moment.
BMC DS Jackson Stewart:
"Tejay handled the pressure of being defending champion wel. All of the guys rallied around him every day  and we showed just how strong we were by winning the team title. I am especially pleased with that achievement."


Photo: Today is my last day in the peloton! THANK YOU! #farewelljens #shutuplegsonelasttimeJens Voigt
“I was trying to be a professional to my last minute on the bike.  I knew that there was a fair chance that a break would go and I made sure I was in that break. I just tried to be a force to be reckoned with until the last moment on the bike. I was trying one last time, gave it a go, and I missed again a few kilometers, but hey I can’t change that. 
Now there’s no more suffering, no more stress, no more risk of crashing – that was a high priority for me today to keep the rubber side down. [Today was] one more time to show myself, one more time to give it all I have, and now I have a one big, large, long holiday ahead of me.
Embedded image permalinkAll these years of straight forward hard work that people appreciate. Every single win I earned because I worked hard for it, no tricky wins, and no lucky wins. I had many, many failures in my career, many times that I got caught, like this week twice, and I just don’t give up. I think that is what the people appreciate. You are allowed to fall down, but you have to get up, dust yourself off, and go again. I have had terrible crashes, great triumphs; my career is full of special moments. Who can say that he did 20 kilometers in the Tour de France on a children’s bike? Who can say he was flown off by helicopter [after a bad crash] and came back 12 weeks later for the next race? Who has six children and is still a world-class athlete? There are a whole lot of these moments in my career that have inspired people.
What’s next? Well if I can freely choose I will go straight to my book shop, a real quiet and slow job where there is no pain involved. Or I would sign up with Discovery Channel and do commentary about lions and sharks.”

No comments: