9.11.2014

Cyclocross Season Started in Vegas and Lars van der Haar sets his goals

Pic by Photo – Balint Hamvas, cyclephotos.co.uk
I didn't watch it but I know that Sven Nys won after some contestations, given this tweet by Renaat Schotte:
"You win, they want to DQ you, in the end you get fined for 1000 Suisse Francs, but you still win. Only in Vegas. @sven_nys #crossvegas"
My rider Lars van der Haar was a splendid 2nd and that's what he said before the race:

Lars van der Haar:
"I am always quite nervous at the start of the season, as you never quite know how you are, how everyone else is, it’s always a bit of a lottery the first race. But I am feeling good and I hope that I can have a good race in Vegas.
It’s a pretty hard race on a grass course – it’s like riding on ten layers of carpet! The heat really drains you as well, it’s very different to anything else, an a-typical course but the atmosphere is amazing and I’d love to win there again.
Once out there I will do a few road training rides then some specific ‘cross training to get ready to race.
This season has gone well – I’ve done some good training and have had a good race preparation that should set me up well. I haven’t changed too much in my preparation, with my trainer Adriaan Helmantel we have added in some time trial training and some power work to add something new.
I am pleased with my road season. I had a nice stage win and a good GC race at the Tour d’Alsace, which was good for the confidence so yes I am happy with how it has gone.
There has been a lot of learning in the Development Team this season with the young guys getting used to the racing but the team has progressed and developed well.
Lars will once again be riding the Giant TCX Advanced frame for the coming ‘cross season.
The bike is the same as last year. It’s a bike that I really like and get on well with, and that is part of the reason why the move to the team worked so well. Together [with Giant and Team Giant-Shimano Technical Expert, Tom Davids] we have been quite busy developing the disc breaks and have made some improvements for this year so I am looking forward to racing those.
My main goals for this winter are to finish two out of the three ‘classments’ [bPost Bank Trophy, Superprestige and World Cup] in the top three. It will be hard but you have to set targets to keep challenging yourself. And then I would really like a big result in the nationals and the worlds.
Lars coach Adriaan Helmantel:
"We didn’t change much in his preparation, he had a good season last year and with another year’s strength and experience he should continue to progress naturally. We have added in some specific on-bike power training and also some time trial training though. At times ‘cross is a like a time trial, always pushing the limit, but then there are also lots of peaks in power during the race too so you need to work on this aspect too. 
The training should be good for him mentally, for those moments when you are out in front and need to keep pushing on your own. It’s also good for the motivation to have something new and Lars has reacted well to it. 
The power training is adapted into his riding. It is similar to what some of the WorldTour guys do, and will make Lars stronger for those tough muddy sections or deep sand and snow where you need to stay seated and get the power down.
I am really happy with our cooperation so far. I have worked with some ‘cross riders before but never someone of Lars’s level so it has been a good learning curve for me too, and means that I can also challenge myself.
Everything that Lars has showed in training and racing so far I am satisfied with and now we wait to see how the first races go for him. It will be an exciting winter."

So... GOOD LUCK LARS!!!

RESULTS
1 Sven Nys (Bel) Crelan-Aa Drinks 1:03:17  
2 Lars Van Der Haar (Ned) Development Team Giant-Shimano 0:00:04  
3 Jeremy Powers (USA) Rapha Focus 0:00:12  
4 Quinten Hermans (Bel) Telenet Fidea Cycling Team 0:00:17  
5 Sven Vanthourenhout (Bel) Crelan-Aa Drinks 0:00:19  
6 Daan Soete (Bel) Telenet Fidea Cycling Team 0:00:30  
7 Allen Krughoff (USA) Noosa Professional Cyclocross 0:00:34  
8 Shawn Milne (USA) Boulder Cycle Sport/ Yoga Glo 0:00:36  
9 Ben Berden (Bel) Raleigh Clement  
10 Cameron Dodge (USA) Pure Energy/Scott Bikes 0:00:38  

No comments: