9.17.2014

In Short: Alberto Contador about his incredible recovery


il ginocchio di Contador - foto TwitterThere is an interview here:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contador-i-had-to-put-a-sock-in-my-mouth-because-of-the-pain

In Short:
1. The best level of my life: “At the Tour Nibali was the best, he was very strong, although I wasn’t as good in the Vuelta as I was in France, where I had the best level of my life. I was anxious to get to the mountains but I fell before them”
2. A surprising comeback: "...after suffering a hairline fracture of his tibia when he crashed out of the Tour in July. Ten days after the incident, doctors in Lugano examined Contador’s wound and ruled him out of the Vuelta, but he sought a second opinion from medics at the Cemtro Clinic in Madrid."
3. Dr. Flores in action: “I called Dr. Manuel Leyes and he sent someone from his team, César Flores, who put together a sort of surgery in my home. He opened the wound on my knee again and cleaned it. I could only have an anaesthetic around it but not in the wound itself, so I had to put a sock in my mouth because of the pain. I couldn’t stand the idea of watching the race on television, like I did the Tour.”
4. La Vuelta: "Sky’s work was good for me, especially at the end of the Vuelta, to control [Alejandro] Valverde and Purito [Joaquim Rodriguez], because they are more live wire and in explosive stages they are very hard rivals to control. [But the the short, final time trial in Santiago] was dangerous. If it [the general classification] had been tighter, people would have certainly gone to ground and more than once.”
5. No Worlds: “When you plan a season, you analyse the routes of the races. The Worlds course didn’t suit at all. It would be like asking Cavendish to ride the queen stage of the Tour."

No comments: