9.12.2014

Tour of Britain: Furious Dowsett Smashed the Race

Embedded image permalinkOnce again in the break-awat, Alex Dowsett collected all the seconds he needed, kept a big gap till the finish and crossed the line on 2nd place: enough to grab the Yellow Jersey from Kwiatowski's shoulders in spite OPQS furiously chased. A furious Dowsett... is to keep off! ;)

Alex Dowsett:
"It was the hardest day in my life. I got in the break and I thought, 'I need a big headwind all day'. I just thought it'd be let us out, bring us back, and that'll be that. I also thought I could have a good time trial, maybe, and I was leaving a lot out on the road there, I thought I might be giving too much, but when I saw the gap went to like 7 minutes, I thought: 'That's quite big'. Then, eight minutes, nine minutes, nine-fiteeen, which I think was the biggest - that's where I began to think more about the yellow, less about the stage win, and really started digging in.
I made an agreement with Matthias later on, because he's a great timetriallist - he'd win the stage and I'd take the yellow. He gave me everything, I couldn't have done it without him. It was the hardest day of his life for Tom from Madison, too - he also gave everything. The team was fantastic in the car behind as well, Juan Pablo - they were always there when I needed them. I gave everything I've got. With Ditchling Beacon tomorrow, obviously Kwiatkowski is going to try. I'll try to rest up as much as I can today and give it my all tomorrow. I still have got a lot to do in the time trial - far from over, but I'm in a nice position for it.
It completely surprised me, to have my whole family there. I wasn't expecting to see them till tomorrow in Brighton. Thanks to the Tour of Britain for looking after them, too. I got my sister working on the race for television - it's pretty special."

MORE TO COME

RESULTS
STAGE

1 Matthias Brandle (Aut) IAM Cycling 4:44:49  

2 Alex Dowsett (GBr) Movistar Team 0:00:01  
3 Thomas Stewart (GBr) Madison Genesis  
4 Sonny Colbrelli (Ita) Bardiani-CSF 0:01:51  
5 Nicola Ruffoni (Ita) Bardiani-CSF  
6 Ben Swift (GBr) Team Sky  
7 Martin Kohler (Swi) BMC Racing Team  
8 Heinrich Haussler (Aus) IAM Cycling  
9 Rick Zabel (Ger) BMC Racing Team  
10 Tom Veelers (Ned) Team Giant-Shimano
GC

1 Alex Dowsett (GBr) Movistar Team 25:07:53  

2 Michal Kwiatkowski (Pol) Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team 0:00:34  
3 Edoardo Zardini (Ita) Bardiani-CSF 0:00:40  
4 Nicolas Roche (Irl) Tinkoff-Saxo 0:00:50  
5 Dylan Teuns (Bel) BMC Racing 0:00:51  
6 Jon Izaguirre Insausti (Spa) Movistar Team 0:01:00  
7 Bradley Wiggins (GBr) Team Sky 0:01:02  
8 Leopold Konig (Cze) Team NetApp - Endura 0:01:06  
9 Sebastian Reichenbach (Swi) IAM Cycling  
10 Matthias Brandle (Aut) IAM Cycling 0:01:07  
JERSEYS

No comments: