11.17.2014

Cyclocross: Muddy meh (in Gavere)

Superprestige cyclocross race of Asper - Gavere 2014I was in a rainy Rome so didn't see it. I saw a tweet by Lars van der Haar: 
"Ai ai ai! I missed my start! Such a shame as I felt so good! Came from very far. Last lap stone in pedal, so Nys left me. 5th today in Gavere" and it didn't make me happy. I felt pretty MEH :/ First of all because I missed the first MUDDY cyclocross of the season. Then because Lars looks a little unlucky so far - but even stronger than last year in my opinion. Finally because - you know - I find Klaas Vantornout extremely sexy and a victory by a muddy Klaas is always some show! 


Anyway, I must stay at Giant's press release: 

"After unusually missing his start, Lars had to fight back from behind to make up the places and get himself back into contention, but after a late problem which saw him unable to clip in due to the stones on the course he dropped back to end up taking fifth, still a very respectable result and one that shows he can compete well whatever the course throws at him. 
One aspect of his training that he worked hard on together with the trainers on the team coming into the season was his power and this was beneficial in the tough sticky, muddy conditions today. His consistency in the series will soon pay off and the overall is still very much to play for.
Lars now sits just three points behind Sven Nys (Crelan-AA Drink) in the Superprestige standings, in third place overall after four of eight rounds." 

By the way: nice to see that Kevin Pauwels is back to his best form after a less brilliant season...

Klaas Vantornout:
"This is a fantastic win. I'm not winning a lot of races and I was still missing out on a big classic win. This one comes just behind the Belgian championships I won last year. The crowds continue to grow. It's an amazing feeling to ride through that wall of sound."

Sven Nys:
"I didn't want to make the mistake to start too fast. It was a tactical decision. It was not the intention to lose a lot of time when my chain came off. I stood still for 15 seconds. That's what I lacked in the end. I'm pleased to be leading the series now. It's better to lead than to chase."

Mathieu Van der Poel 
"I hoped to finish in the top five, and it's a sixth place. The course took its toll. I struggled to click in my pedals because of the small rocks," 

RESULTS
1 Klaas Vantornout (Bel) Sunweb-Napoleon Games  
2 Kevin Pauwels (Bel) Sunweb-Napoleon Games  
3 Sven Nys (Bel) Crelan-AA Drink  
4 Tom Meeusen (Bel) Telenet-Fidea  
5 Lars van der Haar (Ned) Giant-Shimano  
6 Mathieu van der Poel (Ned) BKCP Powerplus  
7 Philipp Walsleben (Ger) BKCP Powerplus  
8 Bart Wellens (Bel) Telenet-Fidea  
9 Sven Vanthourenhout (Bel) Crelan-AA Drink  
10 Bart Aernouts (Bel) Corendon-KwadrO  
11 David van der Poel (Ned) BKCP Powerplus  
12 Corn√© van Kessel (Ned) Telenet-Fidea  
13 Rob Peeters (Bel) Vastgoedservice-Golden Palace  
14 Tim Merlier (Bel) Sunweb-Napoleon Games  
15 Gianni Vermeersch (Bel) Sunweb-Napoleon Games  
16 Joeri Adams (Bel) Vastgoedservice - Golden Palace Cycling Team  
17 Thijs Van Amerongen (Ned) Telenet Fidea Cycling Team  
18 Patrick Gaudy (Bel) Veranclassic-Doltcini Cycling Team  
19 Jim Aernouts (Bel) Sunweb - Napoleon Games Cycling Team  
20 Eddy Van IJzendoorn (Ned) Orange Babies Cycling Team  
21 Niels Wubben (Ned) Telenet Fidea Cycling Team  
22 Ian Field (GBr) Hargroves Cycles  
23 Twan Van Den Brand (Ned) Orange Babies Cycling Team  
24 Jens Adams (Bel) Vastgoedservice - Golden Palace Cycling Team  
25 Patrick Van Leeuwen (Ned) Orange Babies Cycling Team  
26 Kenneth Van Compernolle (Bel) CCN - Metalac Cycling team  
27 Gert-Jan Bosman (Ned) Parkhotel Valkenburg Continentaal Team  
28 Javier Ruiz De Larrinaga Ibanez (Spa)  
29 Lubomir Petrus (Cze) BKCP - Powerplus Cycling Team  
30 Marcel Meisen (Ger) Corendon - KwadrO Cycling Team  
31 Asier Arregui Dominguez (Spa)  
32 Kevin Van Hoovels (Bel)  
33 Yu Takenouchi (Jpn)  
34 Asier Urdaibai Erauzkin (Spa)  
35 Josu Arregi Dominguez (Spa)

No comments: