1.08.2015

Richie Porte is the new Austrialian TT Nat Champ, Rohan Dennis 2nd still aims for Hour Record

Porte bags Aussie TT titleRichie Porte:
“I didn’t expect to win like that. I’ve had a good day. After last season I went to Tassie in November and I’ve just been training full gas. It’s awesome to have an Aussie jersey in a British team.
We spoke with [Head of Athlete Performance] Tim Kerrison last night and worked out a plan. It was about not taking risks. We knew that it wasn’t going to be won and lost in the descents. With it being wet there were going to be risks but I always felt under control. I think I was a fair way down at the turn around but I knew that it would be better for me coming back. I had my old team director behind me in the car too which was nice as he gave me my first leg up in the sport.
It’s been a long time since I’ve done a good time trial. We did a lot of work on my position at the end of last season. We’ve changed it a lot. I’ve been competitive in time trials before but the last few years haven’t been so good. So it’s nice to lay one down against a top notch field. I couldn’t be happier – I just got engaged the other day so it’s a great way to start the year.
It’s awesome to have an Aussie jersey in a British team, but there’s not much time to celebrate now. I’ll have a nice dinner tonight and then it’s full focus on Sunday and Tour Down Under.” 

Rohan Dennis (BMC Racing Team) was 2nd:
"Probably with about 10 kilometers to go, I started to really feel it. My power was still good and I thought I had conserved enough energy, but probably not enough. I still believe I held it, power-wise, over the hills. It was just in between the hills where I was struggling.
[About Hour Record, on Feb. 8 at the Velodrome Suisse in Grenchen, Switzerland] It was about a 52-minute effort today and my power levels were better than where they have been, so that is a good indication. I think with the road race on Sunday and then the Tour Down Under, it will take me to that next level where I need to be." 

No comments: