1.20.2015

Tour Down Under and Tour de San Luis: Surprise! unespected wins

Embedded image permalink
Jack Bobridge
Tour Down Under
Jack Bobridge:
"I’ve always been aggressive...but to take out the first stage and wear the leader’s jersey tomorrow - I’m speechless. To be honest, coming through Williamstown half way was, I think it was down to 30 seconds or 40 seconds and we thought, all the guys had pretty much given up out there. Again it's always games you know, breakaway vs bunch. All day a game. We planned it perfect. We kept our cool when they were playing games with us and then we played the big game at the end and stayed away."

STAGE 1 RESULTS 
1 Jack Bobridge (Aus) UniSA-Australia 2:59:44  
2 Lieuwe Westra (Ned) Astana Pro Team  
3 Luke Durbridge (Aus) Orica GreenEdge  
4 Maxim Belkov (Rus) Team Katusha  
5 Niccolò Bonifazio (Ita) Lampre-Merida  
6 Gianni Meersman (Bel) Etixx - Quick-Step  
7 Juan Jose Lobato (Spa) Movistar Team  
8 Heinrich Haussler (Aus) IAM Cycling  
9 Steele von Hoff (Aus) UniSA-Australia  
10 Daryl Impey (RSA) Orica GreenEdge

Embedded image permalink
Fernando Gaviria
Tour de san Luis
Fernando Gaviria:
"When there was one kilometre left, I realised that maybe I could find a chance to win. I jumped with 300 metres to go and then I got a gap that was big enough to keep me in front to the line. I was really nervous before the start because I had some great riders next to me. But when you beat such big riders in a sprint, it makes it a more important victory."

Mark Cavendish:
"When he jumped, I saw there were 300 metres to go. It was a really small sign and I was waiting for 200, I was waiting for 200, but I don’t see 200. He jumped, he went super fast. In the end, I saw the line but I didn’t see [the sign for] 200 so I had to go. In the end, it was too late."

Sacha Modolo: 
"We were waiting for the banner at 200 metres to go but we never saw it, but the Colombian was very good, in fairness. Still, this third place is a confirmation that I’m going well and hopefully I’ll get off the mark with a win soon, maybe even here in San Luis."

STAGE 1 RESULTS 
1 Fernando Gaviria (Col) Colombian National Team 4:40:13  
2 Mark Cavendish (GBr) Etixx - Quick-Step  
3 Sacha Modolo (Ita) Lampre-Merida  
4 Nicolas Marini (Ita) Nippo - Vini Fantini  
5 Sebastian Tolosa (Arg) Buenos Aires  
6 Oscar Gatto (Ita) Androni Giocattoli  
7 Yohann Gene (Fra) Team Europcar  
8 Marco Canola (Ita) UnitedHealthcare Pro Cycling  
9 Jakub Mareczko (Ita) Italy  
10 Armindo Fonseca (Fra) Bretagne-Séché Environnement

No comments: