1.23.2015

Tour Down Under: BMC Holds On... but The Unespected Shows Off

Big Crash at the finish
The unespected is a part of the game, somehow it's expected. It's the unavoidable crash, the sudden illness. It's the otsider taking the win, the brave jumping on the right train, filling the right hole at the right moment at the sprint, when 'thinking' is somethink like 'feeling', an educated instinct.
Anything can happen in cycling because variables are many.
A break, a bunch sprint, a big crash, a mess, a dare, a kiss on the mouth by Lady Luck.
For the overall games are still all open

Team Tinkoff-Saxo DS Lars Michaelsen:  
“The stage went as expected. After some attempts, a breakaway group formed, which was then caught again before the final sprint. A classic sprinters stage you might say. For us it meant that we could save some energy before tomorrow’s stage. However the big pileup within the 150-marker brought down  Chris Juul-Jensen, he hurt his elbow and hand, but he will be able to continue. That’s a part of the game, sometimes these high-speed crashes happen and there’s nothing you can really do”.

BMC Michael Schär: 
"The speed was very, very fast in the peloton – I think we were going over 60 or 70 kilometers an hour. Some guys just took too many risks and they went down. I was right behind Cadel and we were sprinting full gas and just hoping we wouldn't go down. Luckily, we stayed upright and everything was fine."

Isaychev :(
Steele von Hoff:
"Jack Bobridge was looking after me saying, 'be patient, be patient. I know these roads like the back of my hand'. I just trusted it then he delivered me in the final km under the banner and then I just sniveled and held the wheel of the trains. He told me to like (get on) Quicksteps' because with [Mark] Renshaw here there was definitely a fantastic chance and I did that and it opened up on the left hand side of the road. I think we're batting well above our average here: two stage wins, the ochre jersey for two days now. This is fantastic, we've got such a good team here and good staff as well. My goal is to get back into the World Tour. The merger between Cannondale and Garmin left me behind this time but this win today will help me to go back to the highest level."

Rohan Dennis: 
"It was a hectic day, a bit stressful. But the team was great. They really rode well together and kept me out of trouble whenever it was stressful. They protected me perfectly. Our goal is to get both Cadel and me on the podium as one and two. There is no definite leader. What we want to do is strive to be one and two at the finish and try to pull off the team classification. The one thing in cycling is that you have to risk everything to win everything. It is risky, but it is definitely possible – with Cadel's form, with my form and with the team we have."

Richie Porte:
“I was there at the finish of it and did a little pirouette over the top. I did come down but not anything compared to some of the other guys. Today on paper it didn’t look like much but they are always the ones that are stressful from the start.
Tomorrow we just need as hard of a race as we can get to be honest. We’ll see how it plays out on the climb. Last year I when I won I went pretty early. We’ll take it as it comes but I think it will be a fitting finish to the race. The race is not over yet. I think I’m climbing well and the team’s going really strong.”

Eugenio Alafaci:
“Today I felt good all day, it was a nice day for me, so I was feeling it was a good day to try at the end. In the last kilometer I met up with Marco and Hayden and they brought me out to the front. 
But I was a little too much in the front with 400 meters to go, so I was thinking it was good to give the road to [Mark] Renshaw and [Gianni] Meersman.
When I took the wheel of Meersman the crash happened, and I was lucky that I missed it, but I had to brake a bit and I lost some speed. When it’s a sprint as fast as today, if you hesitate one second, it’s too late. I tried to go again, but honestly I was a bit tired, and I could not recover. At the end I have this 9th place, which is not a super result, but for me it’s my biggest in a ProTour race so far, and I am happy with it.
Of course, if Giacomo [Nizzolo] would be in his normal shape for sure today, and even the first day since we have a good team here to put him in good position, we could play better in these finales."


I see riders are complaining about the downhill finish. 

UPDATE ABOUT CRASH
Source cyclingnews
Lawson Craddock had a flat tyre and fell in a ditch just 25 km in the race:
Team Giant Alpecin DS Addy Engels: 
“Lawson has a lot of pain. Now, the doctors are unable to say much about how long he has to stay in the hospital. The doctor told me that he has broken his wrist, a rib and sternum. Tomorrow morning, they will review the situation and be able to tell us more.”
In the big pile-up at the finish at almost 70kph several riders crashed:
Maxime Bouet (Etixx-QuickStep): 
"It was very fast. There was a big crash at about 200 metres. With the speed, it was impossible to brake. I hope tomorrow is OK because I hit my leg, but I hope it will be OK for Willunga."
Lars Boom (Astana) and Richie Porte (Sky) crossed the line walking.
Kenny de Haes (Lotto-Soudal) caught his fingers in the spokes of his own wheel, he also suffered some abrasions to the back of his leg. 
FDJ.fr riders Lorrenzo Manzin and Olivier Le Gac have no broken bones, were forced to abandon. Team Katusha Alexey Tsatevich and Vladimir Isaychev got scrapes and bruises, while Tsatevich also hit his shoulder.
Drapac Travis Meyer fractured his hand

RESULTS
STAGE 4
1 Steele von Hoff (Aus) UniSA-Australia 3:24:28  
2 Daryl Impey (RSA) Orica GreenEdge  
3 Wouter Wippert (Ned) Drapac Professional Cycling  
4 Heinrich Haussler (Aus) IAM Cycling  
5 Samuel Dumoulin (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale  
6 Niccolò Bonifazio (Ita) Lampre-Merida  
7 Rudiger Selig (Ger) Team Katusha  
8 Gianni Meersman (Bel) Etixx - Quick-Step  
9 Eugenio Alafaci (Ita) Trek Factory Racing  
10 Koen de Kort (Ned) Team Giant-Alpecin
GC
1 Rohan Dennis (Aus) BMC Racing Team 13:41:34  
2 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:00:07  
3 Tom Dumoulin (Ned) Team Giant-Alpecin 0:00:09  
4 Daryl Impey (RSA) Orica GreenEdge 0:00:13  
5 Richie Porte (Aus) Team Sky 0:00:15  
6 Michael Rogers (Aus) Tinkoff-Saxo  
7 Jack Haig (Aus) UniSA-Australia  
8 Maxime Bouet (Fra) Etixx - Quick-Step  
9 Rubén Fernandez (Spa) Movistar Team  
10 Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale

No comments: