1.24.2015

Tour Down Under Up Old Willunga


Embedded image permalink
Like in the Giro or Tour. Huge crowd, feeling of something epic. This climb already stays amongh the holy places in cycling. 
It's 'Old Willunga', a well known name, a mix of glory and fatigue. Because it's close, so close to the end. Because tomorrow it's going to be late. Here the race gets decided, if it's undecided yet. And even in that case a brave can try to decide it again. Just like... Richie Porte
Still courage isn't always enough. Especially when a brave meets another brave. Rohan Dennis held on, stuck, resisted. Stage to Porte, probably the overall to Dennis, Cadel Evan on the podium with his mate.
Disappointing Impey, disappointed Green Edge. Bravo Tom Dumoulin.

Richie Porte:
“I don’t think I quite got the jersey, which is a bit disappointing. My team were fantastic today. Full credit to Rohan. I gave it to him as hard as I could but it just wasn’t quite to be. I’m very happy to win the stage. It’s a great way to start the year. I had a rough season last year so it’s just nice to get off to a good start.
I know this climb quite well. It suits me a lot better than the stage at Paracombe. I was hoping to finish it off here but it’s so nice to win on this stage. Today it was like riding a stage of the Tour or the Giro.
The race isn’t over just yet and we will take it as it comes tomorrow. It is going to be hard but I haven’t lost the tour. I am second and very happy with how today went. 
I am a fair bit lighter than last year when I won the stage here. I am not massive on the whole maths of things but I sat down with our sports scientists last night and we went through those numbers of it. At the end of the day, you still have to have a bit of ticker and how could you not with a crowd like that."


Rohan Dennis: 
"I am so, so happy. I really could not have done it without the team. I know it is cliché, but they really were amazing. Every single time there was a stressful situation, they were there to surround and protect me and make my job as easy as possible.
I actually felt pretty comfortable when he (Porte) first went. But then he kept kicking and kicking – and then he kicked again. I think it was at about 350 or 400 meters to go that I had had enough. I actually thought if I kept going, I would have dropped dead. But Richie sort of went – in hindsight – probably a little bit too late, because really he had better legs than me. I will have to thank him for that."

Cadel Evans:
"We were up there with Peter, Rohan and myself and it was great. We didn't miss anything all day. But of course that left us a little bit more fatigued in the finish, which may have cost me in the last few hundred meters. But if I am behind, they are going to ride like crazy in front. So we had to be there being first and second on the general classification. Sometimes defending can be a little bit harder.
Obviously he was riding a little bit better than me and the results proved that. I would rather walk away with a high place on the classification. I wanted to come here and enjoy my time and do the best that I can. I really got everything out of myself this week. I don't think we made any mistakes. We certainly are in a better position that we hoped to be."

Daryl Impey:
"Hard fight up Willunga , gave it everything I could. Congrats @richie_porte on today , too good. @ORICA_GreenEDGE boys solid!!!"

RESULTS
STAGE
1 Richie Porte (Aus) Team Sky 3:37:32  
2 Rohan Dennis (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:00:09  
3 Rubén Fernandez (Spa) Movistar Team 0:00:16  
4 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team  
5 Tom Dumoulin (Ned) Team Giant-Alpecin  
6 Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale 0:00:19  
7 Tiago Machado (Por) Team Katusha 0:00:24  
8 Moreno Moser (Ita) Cannondale-Garmin Pro Cycling Team 0:00:26  
9 Gorka Izagirre Insausti (Spa) Movistar Team 0:00:28  
10 Arnold Jeannesson (Fra) FDJ.fr  
11 Jarlinson Pantano (Col) IAM Cycling  
12 Daryl Impey (RSA) Orica GreenEdge  
13 George Bennett (NZl) Team LottoNL-Jumbo 0:00:32  
14 Tsgabu Grmay (Eth) Lampre-Merida 0:00:38  
15 Michael Rogers (Aus) Tinkoff-Saxo 0:00:48  
16 Luis León Sánchez Gil (Spa) Astana Pro Team  
17 Cameron Meyer (Aus) Orica GreenEdge  
18 Davide Villella (Ita) Cannondale-Garmin Pro Cycling Team 0:00:56  
19 Thomas De Gendt (Bel) Lotto Soudal 0:00:58  
20 Eros Capecchi (Ita) Movistar Team 0:01:02
GC
1 Rohan Dennis (Aus) BMC Racing Team 17:19:09  
2 Richie Porte (Aus) Team Sky 0:00:02  
3 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:00:20  
4 Tom Dumoulin (Ned) Team Giant-Alpecin 0:00:22  
5 Rubén Fernandez (Spa) Movistar Team 0:00:24  
6 Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale 0:00:31  
7 Daryl Impey (RSA) Orica GreenEdge 0:00:38  
8 Tiago Machado (Por) Team Katusha 0:00:46  
9 Gorka Izagirre Insausti (Spa) Movistar Team 0:00:52  
10 Jarlinson Pantano (Col) IAM Cycling 0:00:53  
11 George Bennett (NZl) Team LottoNL-Jumbo 0:00:57  
12 Michael Rogers (Aus) Tinkoff-Saxo 0:01:00  
13 Tsgabu Grmay (Eth) Lampre-Merida  
14 Luis León Sánchez Gil (Spa) Astana Pro Team 0:01:10  
15 Jack Haig (Aus) UniSA-Australia 0:01:17  
16 Arnold Jeannesson (Fra) FDJ.fr  
17 Eros Capecchi (Ita) Movistar Team 0:01:30  
18 Adam Hansen (Aus) Lotto Soudal 0:01:43  
19 Moreno Moser (Ita) Cannondale-Garmin Pro Cycling Team 0:02:01  

20 Davide Villella (Ita) Cannondale-Garmin Pro Cycling Team 0:02:19  

No comments: