2.05.2015

Dubai Tour 2: Play Hard. Huge Win by Team Sky Elia Viviani

Not a soft game in today last kms. Not really. Team Sky had to demonstrate its right to stay in front fighting for the victory because the sprinter teams, OPQS and Giant Alpecin, meant to prove it wrong. 
In several crucial moment Team Sky train derailed, got lost. It took a brutal power act to bring Viviani back on track: the black jerseys disapeared, gathered on the left of the screan and dashed in front on a different line.
I understand nothing maybe but I think that was the move that decided the race. Guardini started early, Cavendish responded but Viviani was on the perfect position and took his perfect win. He can be happy today. They can celebrate.

Elia Viviani:
"Winning the second stage here, it is such a beautiful thing. Thanks Team Sky"
“After two podium finishes I am really happy to take the victory today. I think we now have such a strong team for the sprints. We have me, (Ben) Swifty and Andy (Fenn), but before that we have Bernie (Eisel) and G (Geraint Thomas). This is one of the best lead-out trains in the world.
After yesterday we looked at the video and we analysed what we could do better and what we could change. Yesterday the wind came slightly from the left and we went on the left. We covered Cav but I had a 250-metre battle with him and I lost a direct fight.
Today we took the lead with 5km to go with Bernie and G. It was a technical finale with some tricky corners. We took the lead but we knew it was early. Andy, me and Swify moved back a little bit onto the Etixx – Quick-Step train and we waited for the right moment. With 350m to go Swifty went on the left side. When the other sprinters saw that they started to go and I was on Guardini’s wheel. When I saw the chance I went for it. It was a great victory.
Today was a long stage – close to 200km – and I think it shows that we are in very good condition at this point of the season. After two podiums and winning the sprint today it’s really good.”

Michael Valgren
“It was a really fast and tense finale. We had some crashes and a lot of constant breaking, so I must admit that I was a bit edgy at that point. But with 5k to go, I thought to myself ‘oh what the hell let’s take the chance’ and I made my way through the pack and gave it my best at the front”.
I’m really looking forward to tomorrow’s stage. It’s not a killer stage, but the last part of the climb with 200 meters of 17 percent is tough. I’m calm and I have a good feeling about my shape – but it’s early in the season so I will have to wait and see how the legs are when I arrive at the bottom of the climb."

RESULTS
STAGE
1 Elia Viviani (Ita) Team Sky 4:29:59  
2 Mark Cavendish (GBr) Etixx - Quick-Step  
3 Andrea Guardini (Ita) Astana Pro Team  
4 Alexander Porsev (Rus) Team Katusha  
5 Andrea Palini (Ita) Skydive Dubai  
6 John Degenkolb (Ger) Team Giant-Alpecin  
7 Daniele Ratto (Ita) UnitedHealthcare Pro Cycling  
8 Daniel Oss (Ita) BMC Racing Team  
9 Michael Valgren Andersen (Den) Tinkoff-Saxo  
10 Nicola Ruffoni (Ita) Bardiani CSF

No comments: