2.21.2015

Ruta del Sol: Chris' Way


Not a diva, not a macho. Understatement, a dismissive smile.
"Contator's schedule is ahead of mine" he has said yesterday "I'm very happy with my sencond place". 
Sense of humour.
But a terrific strength of mind.
Rainy and cold. A battled break. On the last climb Team Sky shot all its bulletsPeter Kennaugh first, then Mikel Nieve. Finally Froome , in the final km, face to face with Alberto Contador, fierce and definitive.
Attacked, dropped and beated, Alberto Contador couldn't respond nor resist.
Leader jersey, 2'' advantage on Contador,  Mountain jersey,  Best Team, one day to go. Nieve 3rd of the day and 4th overall. 
I can't help it but texted my busy love down there: "Your merit? bravo!", "Their merit." he was "Bravissimi!" .

Embedded image permalinkChris Froome
“I’m absolutely blown away to have pulled that off at the end there. I came into this race thinking that ‘I’m here to find my legs, test them, and see where I’m at’. To have been able to win the stage and go into the race lead today is incredible.
My team-mates rode exceptionally to set it up. They made the race as hard as possible on the last climb, attacking and really setting it up for me.
That situation's great for the race, and great for the fans. It's turning into a great dual between myself and Alberto. Yesterday he came out on top, and today it was me. I’m really happy with that, and how my team are riding. The new guys have integrated well and everyone’s got the bit between their teeth.
This race is not over until it’s over though. In the last few years I’ve learnt that Alberto never gives up and there’s a steep ramp at the end tomorrow which will decide things once and for all."  

Alberto Contador:
“I’m satisfied with this tour, and of course especially with my performance yesterday. But at this moment of the season there will always be greater variations between the daily shape on each stage. Yesterday, I had a great feeling – today, I didn’t have the same legs.
After the stage yesterday, people said that I was perhaps in too good a shape at this moment in my race schedule. But everything is going according to the plan and I’m on track with my preparations ahead of my season goals".

Bob Jungels:
“It was really an up and down day for me. It started with some pretty bad weather; it was freezing, freezing cold and a very fast start so for the first 50k no breakaway went.  It finally warmed a little bit, but the road was still wet and in a downhill in a real fast corner I was going maybe 60-65km/h and crashed. I didn’t even touch the brake and my rear wheel slid out; I couldn’t do anything. I scraped my right hip and knee, but no bad injuries so I could continue. I found my way back to the bunch pretty fast. 
The rhythm was really fast on the last climb, but I feel like the harder and longer the race is, the better it is for me because my condition is really good. At the end a lot of guys were at their limits and I felt like I still had some reserves.  Again, it was a very hard climb, but I managed to hang on for a few kilometers with these guys and then just continued my own rhythm until the top. I am really satisfied with how I felt.”

RESULTS
STAGE
1 Chris Froome (GBr) Team Sky 5:08:54
2 Alberto Contador (Spa) Tinkoff-Saxo 0:00:28
3 Mikel Nieve (Spa) Team Sky 0:00:49
4 Sylwester Szmyd (Pol) CCC Sprandi Polkowice 0:01:12
5 Benat Intxausti (Spa) Movistar Team
GC
1 Chris Froome (GBr) Team Sky
2 Alberto Contador (Spa) Tinkoff-Saxo          0:00:01
3 Benat Intxausti (Spa) Movistar Team
4 Mikel Nieve (Spa) Team Sky
JERSEYS
...
............

No comments: