2.20.2015

Volta ao Algarve 2: Thomas Wins and Team Sky Takes All

Embedded image permalinkNot only stage and leade jersey I mean, but ALL JERSEYS and of course the lead in the best team classification. Guys are serious as you can see :)
Geraint Thomas:
“Once I’d decided to follow Taaramae, I looked back and everyone behind me was on the limit. I jumped across, took a few deep breaths, and then went over the top of him and managed to hold a decent lead all the way to the finish.
It was pretty unexpected if I’m honest. I knew I was doing OK but I didn’t know how I’d feel on that climb. It was pretty steep at the bottom, levelled off during the middle, and then ramped up towards the top again.
Once I’d got over the summit, there were still some more little rises to overcome which definitely hurt, but I managed to get enough out of myself to take the win.
“It was an amazing feeling crossing the line. I don’t get to win too often – especially not on my own – and it’s a great way to kick start my year. 
There’s a 19km time trial tomorrow and I’ll ride full gas in that and see how I get on. Obviously, I want to hang on to the jersey, but there are some hard days ahead.
Saturday is a long, difficult stage, with a really testing finish. Having Richie and a few of the other guys close by on the GC means we’ll have plenty of cards to play, and that’s always a nice situation to be in.”

RESULTS
STAGE
1 Geraint Thomas (GBr) Team Sky 4:59:13
2 Rein Taaramae (Est) Astana Pro Team 0:00:19
3 Valerio Agnoli (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:00:23
4 Luis Leon Sanchez (Spa) Astana Pro Team
5 Ruben Fernandez (Spa) Movistar Team
6 Michal Kwiatkowski (Pol) Etixx - Quick-Step
7 Zdenek Stybar (Cze) Etixx - Quick-Step
8 Alberto Losada Alguacil (Spa) Team Katusha
9 Sergei Chernetski (Rus) Team Katusha
10 Lars Petter Nordhaug (Nor) Team Sky
11 Salvatore Puccio (Ita) Team Sky
12 Tiago Machado (Por) Team Katusha
13 Tony Martin (Ger) Etixx - Quick-Step
14 Richie Porte (Aus) Team Sky
15 Yury Trofimov (Rus) Team Katusha
16 Robert Gesink (Ned) Team LottoNL-Jumbo
17 Michael Woods (Can) Optum p/b Kelly Benefit Strategies
18 Michele Scarponi (Ita) Astana Pro Team
19 Sebastian Henao (Col) Team Sky 0:00:31
20 Bjorn Thurau (Ger) Bora-Argon 18
GC
1 Geraint Thomas (GBr) Team Sky 9:12:56
2 Rein Taaramae (Est) Astana Pro Team 0:00:30
3 Zdenek Stybar (Cze) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:00:33
4 Michal Kwiatkowski (Pol) Etixx - Quick-Step
5 Luis Leon Sanchez (Spa) Astana Pro Team
6 Ruben Fernandez (Spa) Movistar Team
7 Richie Porte (Aus) Team Sky
8 Sergei Chernetski (Rus) Team Katusha
9 Tony Martin (Ger) Etixx - Quick-Step
10 Tiago Machado (Por) Team Katusha
11 Alberto Losada Alguacil (Spa) Team Katusha
12 Robert Gesink (Ned) Team LottoNL-Jumbo
13 Michele Scarponi (Ita) Astana Pro Team
14 Valerio Agnoli (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:00:36
15 Yury Trofimov (Rus) Team Katusha 0:00:40
16 Salvatore Puccio (Ita) Team Sky
17 Michael Woods (Can) Optum p/b Kelly Benefit Strategies
18 Sebastian Henao (Col) Team Sky 0:00:48
19 Ben Swift (GBr) Team Sky 0:01:13
20 Davide Formolo (Ita) Cannondale-Garmin Pro Cycling Team 0:01:19
JERSEYS
Points classification
1 Geraint Thomas (GBr) Team Sky 25 pts
2 Gianni Meersman (Bel) Etixx - Quick-Step 25
3 Rein Taaramae (Est) Astana Pro Team 20
4 Ben Swift (GBr) Team Sky 20
Mountains classification
1 Geraint Thomas (GBr) Team Sky 5 pts
2 Marcel Sieberg (Ger) Lotto Soudal 5
3 Mario Gonzalez Salas (Spa) ActiveJet Team 5
Young rider classification
1 Sebastian Henao (Col) Team Sky 9:13:44
2 Davide Formolo (Ita) Cannondale-Garmin Pro Cycling Team 0:00:31
3 Dayer Quintana (Col) Movistar Team 0:00:48
Teams classification
1 Team Sky 27:40:04
2 Etixx - Quick-Step 0:00:23
3 Team Katusha

No comments: