2.20.2015

Volta ao Algarve 3 Tony Martin Goes. But Geraint Thomas Stays.

Embedded image permalink
Tony Martin:
"It's nice to get a win in my German National TT Champion skinsuit. I wore it also as Champion in 2011, but since then it was just more or less in my cellar, in my training room, because I was always wearing my UCI World TT Champion jersey. I'm also proud to wear this German Champion jersey to represent my country. It maybe doesn't carry the same prestige as the one of the world champion, but you can still show the colors of your country and that is always an honor. So far it has brought me some luck. It's a really nice start to the season. The first race is always difficult because you don't really know where you are. I felt already really good in training, but races are still different. So already getting a good result is big for my confidence.
Embedded image permalinkAs for the parcours today, most of it was the same as last year. But still, it was longer than last year, with a hard finale and a headwind section. It was decent for me because there was a hard part at the end where I could really play with my power. I think in the split times I was a little bit slower than Thomas, but I made up the time in the final to even win against Malori. That's what I love, going really hard on a flat with a headwind or a crosswind. That lets me show my power. But seeing where you are is not just about the results. It's important to check the condition overall and it was even good yesterday in the climbs. In February you never know where your condition is and I'm really happy it is going so well. Especially in Algarve, as I come here every year and it is nice to win again. Algarve always gives me a lot of confidence so I can't imagine a better beginning of the season. My motivation is now super good. As for the next days, tomorrow will be hard. The gap to Thomas is still 30 seconds. We will see what we can do as we have a strong team here who can maybe make a good tactic besides even me. Michal Kwiatkowski is in 3rd, so we have some other cards we can play."

More to come

RESULTS
ITT
1 Tony Martin (Ger) Etixx-QuickStep 0:21:51  
2 Adriano Mallori (Spa) Movistar 0:00:00  
3 Thomas Geraint (Gbr) Team Sky 0:00:03  
4 Michal Kwiatkowski (Pol) Etixx-QuickStep 0:00:09
5 Anton Vorobyev (Rus) Team Katusha 0:00:19
6 Jonathan Castroviejo (Spa) Movistar 0:00:26
7 Rein Taaramae (Est) Astana Pro Team 0:00:26
8 Luis Leon Sanchez (Spa) Astana Pro Team 0:00:32
9 Sergei Chernetckii (Rus) Team Katusha 0:00:34
10 Tiago Machado (Por) Team Katusha
GC
1 Thomas Geraint (Gbr) Team Sky 9:34:50  
2 Tony Martin (Ger) Etixx-QuickStep 0:00:30  
3 Michal Kwiatkowski (Pol) Etixx-QuickStep 0:00:39
4 Rein Taaramae (Est) Astana Pro Team 0:00:53
5 Luis Leon Sanchez (Spa) Astana Pro Team 0:01:02
6 Sergei Chernetckii (Rus) Team Katusha 0:01:04
7 Tiago Machado (Por) Team Katusha 0:01:07
8 Zdenek Stybar (Cze) Etixx-QuickStep 0:01:31
9 Richie Porte (Aus) Team Sky 0:01:33
10 Rubén Fernández (Spa) Movistar 0:01:38

No comments: