2.21.2015

Volta ao Algarve: About a (double) Win

Embedded image permalinkIt was about a break-awayincluding Davide Malacarne, Tony Gallopin, Adriano Malori, Mauritis Lammertink, Kamil Gradek, Filipe Cardoso and Benat Txoperena. It was about a chase to keep Geraint Thomas the leader jersey. It was about pulling very hard to catch the break-away and after to drop everybody on the last hard climb. And finally it was about to win, possibly all: stage, by Richie Porte, and the overall, by Geraint Thomas. In the last km, only nine riders were left in Thomas group. It was raining victories for Team Sky, in Algarve like in Andalusia. Amazing day.

Embedded image permalinkRichie Porte:
“I never really thought that a win would be an option for me going into today. It’s always great to win a stage but it was all for G going into today. The guy has done me that many favours and put his race on the line that many times for me. To win that stage and have him retain his GC is an unbelievable day for us – and then you hear that Froomey has won and taken the lead in Spain. It’s incredible!
I think all the boys today were massively committed. With Ben Swift, Lars-Petter, Salva, Sebastian and then the guys at the start – Andy Fenn and Boswell – riding all day. They really set it up for G and I.
Embedded image permalinkQuick-Step made the race hard and were trying to disrupt the rhythm. It wasn’t ideal for me to have to ride that early but I didn’t have much choice. It worked out okay! On this climb every time Sky have ridden it we’ve won which is an awesome achievement.

Geraint Thomas
‏@GeraintThomas86  10s10 seconds ago
"Decent day that, finished off by the flying Tasmanian! All the boys were unbelievable, all I had to do was follow! Huge thanks!! #committed"

Michał Kwiatkowski ‏@michalkwiatek
"Guys were amazing trying to push leader under pressure. Thanks! Everything or nothing - that's how we do! #OurWay @Etixx_QuickStep"
"I stayed quite calm until the first climb of Malhão. We decided when the race came back together to accelerate. The peloton was reduced to 25 or 30 riders at that point. As decided with the team this morning, we then tried to attack and put the pressure on the other teams. First Tony Martin went, and then also Golas and Stybar to make Team Sky work hard in defense of Thomas. In the end it didn't succeed, but really it made the whole peloton work hard. The guys were super today! As for me, I waited until the last climb. Richie Porte was setting a really good pace. In the last kilometer I was riding pretty hard to try and go for the win, but Porte was really strong today and I couldn't follow him in the last meters. He deserved the victory. Concerning me, I am happy about my day today, and also I am really proud of the team. We stuck to the plan perfectly and if you don't try, you never know if your tactic will work. This was a really long day, six hours of racing. I think the endurance training in Calpe worked very well for me. In the final kilometers I didn't feel tired, so it's a good sign before my next races and things are on schedule. The feeling is much better than even two days ago. Now we will see what we can do tomorrow on the last stage. We have been racing great so far, with two stage wins and always being present in the actions, so I am confident we will do well again tomorrow."

MORE TO COME

RESULTS
STAGE
1 Richie Porte (Aus) Team Sky 5:55:34
2 Michal Kwiatkowski (Pol) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:00:03
3 Ion Izagirre (Spa) Movistar Team 0:00:06
4 Geraint Thomas (GBr) Team Sky 0:00:09
5 Michal Golas (Pol) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:00:13
6 Tiago Machado (Por) Team Katusha
7 Davide Formolo (Ita) Cannondale-Garmin Pro Cycling Team 0:00:16
8 Alberto Losada (Spa) Katusha 0:00:21
9 Luis Leon Sanchez (Spa) Astana Pro Team 0:00:25
10 José Mendes (Por) Bora-Argon 18 0:00:31
GC
1 Geraint Thomas (GBr) Team Sky 15:30:33
2 Michal Kwiatkowski (Pol) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:00:27
3 Tiago Machado (Por) Team Katusha 0:01:11
4 Richie Porte (Aus) Team Sky 0:01:14
5 Luis Leon Sanchez (Spa) Astana Pro Team 0:01:18
6 Rein Taaramae (Est) Astana Pro Team 0:01:19
7 Sergei Chernetski (Rus) Team Katusha 0:01:32
8 Alberto Losada (Spa) Katusha 0:01:55
9 Ruben Fernandez (Spa) Movistar 0:02:04
10 Ion Izagirre (Spa) Movistar Team 0:02:21
JERSEYS
......

No comments: