3.11.2015

Paris-Nice 3: BLING!

Embedded image permalink

Michael Matthews:
“Full credit to the team for the win, it was all them. I just had to do the last 200metres and that was probably the easy part.”


“We had a good meeting this morning and said everyone is in good shape and if we work together we can really nail this. The way they rode was absolutely text book, it was exactly the way we talked about in the meeting, I couldn’t ask for a better lead out.

“From four kilometres to go we dominated the race and we showed our strength in the lead out and no one could come near us with the horse power we had.
The last few days we have been trying to go for a few intermediate sprints and ended up with a few bonus seconds. That’s how it was possible to take the yellow jersey.
To put it all together and take the win and the jersey in one day, it’s really a special day. I have been looking at tomorrow from a long way out. It’s going to be a hard climb 100%, but I’m going to do my best to try and hang on as long as possible, if not all the way to the top.
If I can’t hold on, then I want to ride with respect to the jersey, all the way to the finish."


Giacomo Nizzolo:
“Today the final circuit was very tricky so we had to stay in the front for the last 40kms; [Gregory] Rast helped me a lot to stay there, he was awesome. And in the finale Eugenio [Alafaci] kept me up in the first positions. It was a pity we lost [Gert] Steegmans to mechanicals.
Without Steegmans I just used the train of the other teams, especially Orica GreenEdge because I saw they were the most organized team already yesterday and knew they would be good again today. When I started the sprint a guy from Lampre [Merida] tried to keep me against the barriers; for me that was not a problem and I just kept going, but once I tried to overtake Matthews he closed me there. That forced me to stop pedaling for 1-2 strokes and when you lose those pedals then it’s really hard to speed up again. That is where I lost it – that especially cost me the second position.”



RESULTS
STAGE

1 Michael Matthews (Aus) Orica GreenEdge 4:32:12  
2 Davide Cimolai (Ita) Lampre-Merida  
3 Giacomo Nizzolo (Ita) Trek Factory Racing
4 Alexander Kristoff (Nor) Team Katusha
5 Jose Joaquin Rojas (Spa) Movistar Team
6 Matti Breschel (Den) Tinkoff-Saxo
7 Moreno Hofland (Ned) Team LottoNL-Jumbo
8 Nacer Bouhanni (Fra) Cofidis, Solutions Credits
9 Bryan Coquard (Fra) Team Europcar
10 Arnaud Demare (Fra) FDJ.fr
11 John Degenkolb (Ger) Team Giant-Alpecin
12 Yauheni Hutarovich (Blr) Bretagne-Séché Environnement
13 Ben Swift (GBr) Team Sky
14 Ruben Fernandez (Spa) Movistar Team
15 Jonas Vangenechten (Bel) IAM Cycling
16 Michal Kwiatkowski (Pol) Etixx - Quick-Step
17 Jens Keukeleire (Bel) Orica GreenEdge
18 Gorka Izagirre (Spa) Movistar Team
19 Geraint Thomas (GBr) Team Sky  
20 Rafal Majka (Pol) Tinkoff-Saxo
GC
1 Michael Matthews (Aus) Orica GreenEdge 14:25:27  
2 Michal Kwiatkowski (Pol) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:00:01  
3 Rohan Dennis (Aus) BMC Racing Team
4 John Degenkolb (Ger) Team Giant-Alpecin 0:00:03
5 Tony Martin (Ger) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:00:08
6 Luis Leon Sanchez (Spa) Astana Pro Team 0:00:11
7 Sylvain Chavanel (Fra) IAM Cycling
8 Tom Dumoulin (Ned) Team Giant-Alpecin 0:00:14
9 Geraint Thomas (GBr) Team Sky  
10 Philippe Gilbert (Bel) BMC Racing Team
11 Alexander Kristoff (Nor) Team Katusha 0:00:15
12 Tejay Van Garderen (USA) BMC Racing Team
13 Richie Porte (Aus) Team Sky 0:00:16  
14 Wilco Kelderman (Ned) Team LottoNL-Jumbo 0:00:17
15 Ruben Plaza Molina (Spa) Lampre-Merida
16 Gorka Izagirre (Spa) Movistar Team 0:00:19
17 Bob Jungels (Lux) Trek Factory Racing
18 Tony Gallopin (Fra) Lotto Soudal
19 Giacomo Nizzolo (Ita) Trek Factory Racing
20 Tom Jelte Slagter (Ned) Cannondale-Garmin Pro Cycling Team

No comments: