3.15.2015

Paris-Nice 7: Porte's Power

Embedded image permalinkCold and rain. Open umbrella. Uphill itt from Nice to Col d'Eze. Required skills: climbing, timetrialing, cool blood. Richie Porte goes through the 5.5 km split quickest - 58'' faster than Gallopin. It's already done: Paris-Nice. Twice.Few to add.

Richie Porte:
“Credit to Tony [Gallopin]. I was a little bit nervous going into the day. Geraint and I threw time away yesterday – we were in a fantastic position, and for both of us to crash like we did wasn’t ideal. To win today though, is a fantastic feeling.
It means a lot to me to be a two-time winner of an iconic race like Paris-Nice, and this one feels even sweeter than the last one because it was so hard. They threw everything at us yesterday, and to win on the top of the Col d’Eze this year, like I did in 2013, is incredible.
We have a fantastic team at Team Sky with Wout Poels winning at Tirreno-Adriatico yesterday and Chris Froome set to come back in. It’s good because we had a roller coaster season last year and we’re definitely back now.”

Embedded image permalinkMichal Kwiatkowski:
"I had the yellow jersey for a while in this race, and I'm happy about what we did overall. We did what we could with this final uphill time trial. It didn't work out for the victory, but I'm happy with my 2nd place. Richie Porte was the strongest guy in the peloton. He deserved this win and I'm happy to be on the next step below him on the podium. We tried our best yesterday, Etixx - Quick-Step was aiming for the win and we were aggressive, but I didn't have the legs to go with Gallopin. So today I did a good TT, especially considering the hard stage of yesterday. I'm satisfied with my result at the end. This race gave me a lot of motivation for the next races, and great experience for the one-week stage races. Everything is going in the right direction. Competing on the climbs with the best climbers is something really nice that I discovered about myself and my skills. Every year I'm making little progressions and I hope I can continue in this way. I am also happy with my condition. We will see what I can show in the future. I am looking forward to Milano-Sanremo and then of course the Ardennes Classics."

MORE TO COME

RESULTS
STAGE

1 Richie Porte (Aus) Team Sky 20:23
2 Simon Spilak (Svk) Katusha 00:13
3 Rui Costa (Por) Lampre-Merida 00:24
4 Tony Martin (Ger) Eitxx-QuickStep 00:29
5 Michal Kwiatkowski (Etixx-QuickStep) 00:29
6 Andrew Talansky (USA) Cannondale-Garmin 00:37
7 Geraint Thomas (GBr) Team Sky 00:39
8 Jon Izagirre (Spa) Movistar 00:50
9 Tim Wellens (Bel) Lotto Soudal 00:54
10 Gorka Izagirre (Spa) Movistar 00:55
GC
1 Richie Porte (Aus) Team Sky 29:10:41
2 Michal Kwiatkowski (Etixx-QuickStep) 00:30
3 Simon Spilak (Svk) Katusha 00:30
4 Rui Costa (Por) Lampre-Merida 00:30
5 Geraint Thomas (GBr) Team Sky 00:41
6 Tony Gallopin (Fra) Lotto-Soudal 01:03
7 Jakob Fuglsang (Den) Astana 01:05
8 Rafael Valls (Spa) Lampre-Merida 01:24
9 Gorka Izagirre (Spa) Movistar 01:38
10 Tim Wellens (Bel) Lotto Soudal 02:18
Embedded image permalinkJERSEYS
General : @richie_porte 
Points : @blingmatthews 
Mountain: @DeGendtThomas 
Youth: @michalkwiatek
Embedded image permalink

No comments: