3.29.2015

Settimana Coppi E Bartali: The Short Way Down


Embedded image permalinkIndead! A disappointed Ben Swift had to say bye bye to the leader jersey at the true last second. Well... two.
That's cycling.
And Louis Meintjes today was stronger.
Team Sky wins the Team Classification.


Louis Meintjes
This win really means a lot to me. It's my first win in Europe and I have to thank the whole team who supported me at this race. They were always there and it makes me really proud. I hope this win also motivates people to help us and Qhubeka putting more kids on bikes in Africa.



Embedded image permalinkBen Swift:
“I gave absolutely everything I had today. There were 3500 metres of climbing, and the one where Meintjes went away was so steep. It was 18% for about 1.5km and then had stepped section all the way to the summit.
Luckily I had Sergio with me. He produced an unbelievable ride, especially after being out for the best part of a year through injury. I had to keep telling him to slow down because I was on my limit, and once I’d recovered we went again.
To lose the race by two seconds is gutting but I was so tired I couldn’t even get out of my saddle at the end. I keep thinking ‘what if’, but know I couldn’t have given any more.
I’ve got to look at the positives. Finishing second after such a mountainous week of racing is pleasing, and it was just unfortunate I got rolled on the line for third as that would’ve given me the bonus seconds I needed to win.  
It’s been a strong team display this week, especially given we lost two riders through illness. We were the only WorldTour team in the race which meant we had to control all week and I’m happy with the way we rode.
I’ve got to focus on the future now. I’ve got a busy schedule of racing coming up and I want to take this form into those and get some more results.”


RESULTS

26.03 Stage 1a - Gatteo › Gatteo  BELLETTI Manuel GC  BELLETTI Manuel
26.03 Stage 1b (TTT) - Gatteo a mare › Gatteo  CCC Sprandi Polkowice GC REBELLIN Davide
27.03 Stage 2 - Cesenatico › Sogliano al Rubicone SWIFT Ben GC  SWIFT Ben
28.03 Stage 3 - Calderara di Reno › Crevalcore CHICCHI Francesco GC  SWIFT Ben
29.03 Stage 4 - Pavullo › Roccapelago  MEINTJES Louis
29.03 General Classification  MEINTJES Louis
Points Classification  SWIFT Ben
Mountains Classification  ROGLIč Primož
Youth Classification  PETILLI Simone
Teams Classification  Team Sky
FINAL GC
1 Louis Meintjes (RSA) MTN - Qhubeka 14:31:42
2 Ben Swift (GBr) Team Sky 0:00:02  
3 Matija Kvasina (Cro) Team Felbermayr Simplon Wels 0:00:46
4 Francesco Manuel Bongiorno (Ita) Bardiani CSF 0:01:01
5 Davide Rebellin (Ita) CCC Sprandi Polkowice 0:02:31
6 Kanstantsin Siutsou (Blr) Team Sky 0:02:38
7 Franco Pellizotti (Ita) Androni Giocattoli 0:02:39
8 Simone Stortoni (Ita) Androni Giocattoli 0:03:12
9 Valerio Agnoli (Ita) Italian National Team 0:03:33
10 Carlos Julian Quintero (Col) Colombia 0:03:35
11 Francesco Reda (Ita) Team Idea 2010 ASD 0:04:09
12 Yonattah Monsalve (Ven) Southeast Pro Cycling 0:04:11
13 Antonio Santoro (Ita) Mg.Kvis-Vega 0:04:26
14 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Nippo - Vini Fantini 0:05:14
15 Simone Petilli (Ita) Unieuro Wilier 0:05:33
16 Edoardo Zardini (Ita) Bardiani CSF 0:06:46
17 Sergio Luis Henao Montoya (Col) Team Sky 0:07:23
18 Stephen Cummings (GBr) MTN - Qhubeka 0:08:34
19 Domen Novak (Slo) Adria Mobil 0:09:02
20 Primoz Roglic (Slo) Adria Mobil 0:10:07


No comments: