3.13.2015

Tirreno-Adriatico 3: BMC Leading The Game

Embedded image permalink
A long day on the bike and all focus on the finish. Crossing Tuskany from west to east, heading to the mountains. Today a last sprint, uphill and paved. Arezzo.

An early break of five - Boem, Wyss, Quintero, Haga and Flens - 18 km to go Gruppo Compatto. 
A long fight for position with BMC leading the game. 
And Van Avermaet finishing it all.
Still... he's under inestigation, riding and winning. OMG Cycling...
Embedded image permalink

Greg Van Avermaet:
"This is a special day for me. I looked at the road book when I knew I was coming to Tirreno-Adriatico, and I was confident about these two stages - Stages 3 and 4. Stage 4 will be a little bit harder, but I knew that today's finish would really suit me. I looked at what happened last year when (my teammate) Philippe Gilbert was third. I knew it could be a good day for me, although there were some good guys to beat. I have come close a few times this year, so I am really happy that I could finish it off. The team worked really well for me, because on a stage like this it is really important to be well positioned. And, of course, I am really glad I could keep guys like Sagan off.
It is important to me because I am leading the team here and you can only be a leader if you win races. I finished second or third a few times recently: in Omloop Het Nieuwsblad and Flanders last year, and in Qatar, Oman and Strade Bianche this year. I sprinted all the way to the line today - I didn't raise my hands in case I didn't win. If you celebrate and they come past you, it is even worse." 

Danilo Wyss:

"It is nice to keep the green jersey. It was a tactic of the team to put a guy in the break so we did not have to work behind. We had Greg as a favorite for the stage, so it was good for the team to have someone in the break. I am really happy for him and of course for the team. It is good for the team to win a stage and take the lead. It is a perfect occasion for us." 

Peter Sagan:
"I'd like to thank all my teammates for their excellent work today. They pushed hard all day and gave their best to bring me in a good position for the final sprint. I was really looking forward to winning today and the team really deserved a victory. However, it didn't turn out that way as I made a mistake. I entered the final corner too late and I was four or five positions down and had to overtake too many to get to the front. I finished in second place, I am sorry for the guys but that's cycling”

Fabian Cancellara:
“I wanted to have a try, but it was such big chaos in the end, and I did what I could. Popo [Yaroslav Popovych] did a big turn, and Stijn too, to bring me from 2k to 1k, and I paid for that – really I just survived the 5th place.  When you can stay at the front just behind the riders at the end it’s different then when you have to move up and I paid for that a bit.  I moved from far behind - took a big risk - and at the end I was there but on the steep ramp it was getting a bit slower but I was so blocked there I couldn’t really go right or left.  In the end it’s okay like this.  It was a tricky finale, and I gave it my best shot.”

Rick Flens:
“I was able to gain some hardness today. You know it’s going to be a bunch sprint from the beginning, but we are just trying to show ourselves. When the advantage is getting so big, you hope for a good result for a while. When they started to hunt us down, the gap closed quickly. We tried to turn up the pace, but it didn’t work.”

MORE TO COME

RESULTS
STAGE
1 Greg Van Avermaet (Bel) BMC Racing Team 4:58:17
2 Zdenek Stybar (Cze) Etixx - Quick-Step
3 Peter Sagan (Svk) Tinkoff-Saxo
4 Filippo Pozzato (Ita) Lampre-Merida
5 Fabian Cancellara (Swi) Trek Factory Racing
6 Simon Geschke (Ger) Team Giant-Alpecin
7 Paul Martens (Ger) Team LottoNL-Jumbo
8 Andriy Grivko (Ukr) Astana Pro Team
9 Rigoberto Uran (Col) Etixx - Quick-Step
10 Wouter Poels (Ned) Team Sky
GC
1 Greg Van Avermaet (Bel) BMC Racing Team 8:34:31
2 Peter Sagan (Svk) Tinkoff-Saxo 0:00:02
3 Adriano Malori (Ita) Movistar Team 0:00:08
4 Fabian Cancellara (Swi) Trek Factory Racing 0:00:09
5 Matthias Brandle (Aut) IAM Cycling 0:00:10
6 Ramunas Navardauskas (Ltu) Cannondale-Garmin Pro Cycling Team 0:00:13
7 Stephen Cummings (GBr) MTN - Qhubeka 0:00:14
8 Jonathan Castroviejo (Spa) Movistar Team 0:00:16
9 Edvald Boasson Hagen (Nor) MTN - Qhubeka
10 Andriy Grivko (Ukr) Astana Pro Team 0:00:17
Embedded image permalink
Pic by S.Farrand
JERSEYS
Blue: Greg Van Avermaet (BMC RACING TEAM)
Red: Peter Sagan (TINKOFF SAXO)
White: Peter Sagan (TINKOFF SAXO)
Green: Danilo Wyss (BMC RACING TEAM)

No comments: