3.16.2015

Tirreno-Adriatico 6: Soacked Sprint in Sant'Elpidio


Miserable weather. Rain and more rain. An early brave break-away including Devolder, Arashiro and Vanotti. After 20 km they have 1'30" on the soacked peloton.
All back together with 50 km to go.
32 km to go, short climb, a 70 riders group including Cavendish, Farrar and Modolo got dropped: 4' behind! Luka Mezgec retired because of the cold. Vanotti attacking.  
First passage on the line and Vuillermoz gets off the peloton to collect some points. Vanotti keeps going and Vuillermoz joins.
20km to go the two riders have 20'' on the first big group while the second group has over 5'.
12.7 km to the finish and Vuillermoz goes solo. 5 km to go gap is just 8''. 3 km to go he's caught.
The last turn is tricky. No crashes fortunately. Sprint. Sagan.
Peter Sagan:
"I'm extremely happy and I would like to thank the entire Tinkoff-Saxo team because today they did a great job. They all helped me, including Alberto Contador who in the last two climbs pulled as hard as he could to break the group. We managed to drop a number of sprinters and pulled for the last 80km of the race until the finish. I'm very happy to have won such a tough stage. It's a great victory for both the team and myself. Today's stage couldn't have gone better”.

Jens Debusschere "Could have been a nice finish of a sh*t day in the rain. I f*cked up in the sprint as I was waiting to long. Amazing job @Lotto_Soudal! THX!"
Embedded image permalink
Bauke Mollema:
"217 km in the rain and 5-10°C. I punctured on a very bad moment but the team brought me back with a great effort, so still 2nd in GC."

Gerald Ciolek:
"It was a long, rainy and cold day. I was feeling good, even on the climbs. The team worked great throughout the whole stage and then did a world class leadout in the finale. Sagan just had the better kick in the end. I am really happy to see the whole team going well and working so well together."

Ettixx-QS DS Brian Holm: 
"I saw straight from the start that Mark wasn't good today. He didn't feel well and he lost contact quite early when the bunch wasn't really going fast. We asked Sabatini, Terpstra, Renshaw, and Stybar to wait for him to eventually try to close the gap if he should get better during the stage, but it didn't happen. At that point it was a wise decision to stop racing instead of doing 2 laps in the final local circuit under the rain. Milano-Sanremo is in a few days, so we didn't want to take the risk to have any sick riders before a big appointment, which is this upcoming Sunday."

Nikias Arndt: 
“Today was hard, and then at the end I had some bad luck in the sprint. From 3km out I was on my own and then I found that I was on the wrong wheel after the last corner despite being in a good position.
The guy in front let a gap go with around 600m to go and I had to close it, but the good thing about the stage is that even after a long, hard and cold stage I still had good legs. So it was nice to see that I am able to fight in the final of a stage like this.”

RESULTS
STAGE
1 Peter Sagan (Svk) Tinkoff-Saxo
2 Gerald Ciolek (Ger) MTN - Qhubeka
3 Jens Debusschere (Bel) Lotto Soudal
4 Magnus Cort Nielsen (Den) Orica GreenEdge
5 Maximiliano Richeze (Arg) Lampre-Merida
6 Edvald Boasson Hagen (Nor) MTN - Qhubeka
7 Nikias Arndt (Ger) Team Giant-Alpecin
8 Sam Bennett (Irl) Bora-Argon 18
9 Ramunas Navardauskas (Ltu) Cannondale-Garmin Pro Cycling Team
10 Alexey Lutsenko (Kaz) Astana Pro Team
GC
Nothing change
JERSEYS
Nothing change

No comments: