3.29.2015

Vuelta a Catalunya Sum Up: The Long Way UP

Embedded image permalinkThe peloton had done its math wrong, Team Sky included, so they had to work hard to build back a leadership and to grab that jersey. It has been a crazy race. In the end they managed to win the overall. Richie Porte looks really strong. 
And I don't like to admit it, but also Valverde looks incredibly strong. 
And I like to see that Domenico Pozzovivo is in a splendid shape too. He's back from a bad injury and that's a very good news because in my opinion Pozzovivo is one of the best climbers in the peloton.
Fabio Aru is getting there, slowly but steadly. Here, 6th. Tomorrow... we'll see.
Contador crashed and the Riis/Tinkoff Telenovela didn't help for sure to keep the focus.
Nicely spotted Darwin Atapuma and Daniel Martin.
But no, I barely watched it. I have been busy.

Richie Porte:
“It’s unbelievable to be honest. It’s capped off a pretty awesome start to the season - starting from Down Under to now. I really couldn’t have imagined it would go this well after the year I had last year.
Each and every one of them through the week has been there. In cycling you have good and bad days. You think they might be down but they bounce back and have a strong day. Xabi Zandio yesterday rode all day with Leo. Whenever there was a stick situation Lopez was there. We know Froomey is class but he really went out of his way to repay me and the sacrifices I’ve made for him. Kiry, Nico and Wout have all been incredible. It’s been a massive team performance.
I’ll go home to Monaco and have a good week to rest, not do too much on the bike, and spend time with my fiancée. Then it’s into training camp and Trentino. We’ve got a good little run-up to the Giro so we can hopefully hit that in top form. I’m quite confident now that I can go there and fight for the podium.”

Alberto Contador:
“This was the toughest stage of the Volta a Catalunya because of the injuries I sustained in yesterday's crash. The only injury that worries me a little bit right now is in my back. I think that when I crashed yesterday a nerve must have been affected. I felt a sensation of intense heat in my back and I noticed it a bit today going over speed bumps.
The Volta a Catalunya is over and, again, I now have to recover and focus physically and mentally on the season's first big target, the Giro d'Italia. Our preparation schedule this year is spread over a longer period in all aspects and right now everything is going exactly as planned.
Despite the crash, I'm happy with my performance and my current form. A lot of people might compare my performance with that of last year but they are two completely different years. Last year my main goal was the Tour and the first peak in my performance took place in spring. This year this peak has to take place later. I now have to fully recover from my injuries and focus on the Giro d'Italia, which is what obsesses me right now and what I think about every day”.

Wilco Kelderman:
“I’m quite satisfied with thatI’m glad that I was able to finish top ten another time in a stage race with such good participants. I was looking for some confirmation after Paris-Nice anyway. I have always been confident about my preparation and my form. I do everything I can and that will pay off sometime.
Ardennes classics are my first big targets. It will be the first time for me to compete in those races. It’s hard to predict how I will perform there, but I’m curious to see.”

RESULTS
23.03 Stage 1 - Calella › Calella PATERSKI Maciej GC:  PATERSKI Maciej
24.03 Stage 2 - Mataró › Olot VALVERDE Alejandro  GC PATERSKI Maciej
25.03 Stage 3 - Girona › Girona POZZOVIVO Domenico GC ROLLAND Pierre
26.03 Stage 4 - Tona › La Molina VAN GARDEREN Tejay GC DE CLERCQ Bart
27.03 Stage 5 - Alp › Valls VALVERDE Alejandro  GC PORTE Richie
28.03 Stage 6 - Cervera › Port Aventura CHERNETCKII Sergei GC PORTE Richie 29.03 Stage 7 - Barcelona › Barcelona VALVERDE Alejandro 29.03 General Classification PORTE Richie
Mountains Classification DANIELSON Thomas Youth Classification KELDERMAN Wilco Teams Classification BMC Racing Team

FINAL GC
1 Richie Porte (Aus) Team Sky 30:30:30  
2 Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Movistar Team 0:00:04  
3 Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale 0:00:05  
4 Alberto Contador (Spa) Tinkoff-Saxo 0:00:07  
5 Rigoberto Uran (Col) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:00:18  
6 Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:00:27  
7 Darwin Atapuma Hurtado (Col) BMC Racing Team 0:00:33  
8 Rafael Valls Ferri (Spa) Lampre-Merida 0:00:43  
9 Daniel Martin (Irl) Cannondale-Garmin Pro Cycling Team 0:01:35  
10 Jarlinson Pantano (Col) IAM Cycling 0:02:16

No comments: