4.29.2015

Tour of Romandie 2: Albasini Stage and Jersey

Mountains today. 70 km to go Belkov and Fumeaux have 4'35" and two climbs left.  45 km to go their advantage is down to 1'54". Team Sky controls. 33 km to go, flat tyre for Chris Froome but he's quickly back to the peloton.
Crash, riders down and beyond a guardrail. OMG!!!! Jesper Hansen is back on bike but gets DOORED by the race doc car!!!! NO WAY!!!!
Embedded image permalinkBreak over 23 km to go. Flat tyre for Thomas, mate Kennaught waits for him. First attacks in front, Thomas is in the cars. 13 riders gained some meters. 19.5km to go. Jeandesboz is solo ahead. Silin, De Clerq, Anacon and Santaromita chasing. 11” gap. They join. Astana takes the lead. Group caught.
Top of the Col de La Vue des Alpes and descent. Thomas is still trying to come back but losing time.
Taaramae gets a gap.
Thomas 1'35" down. 13.3km to go Tony Martin attacks with Costa and Capecchi, they can't go away but powerfully pull the group. Albasini is there and also Froome. Alaphilippe and Uran, Nibali, Caruso, Ulissi, Atapuma, Dennis are all in front.
Rolland tries to excape and Taarame is caught. All together. Sprint: Albasini! stage and jersey!

Michael Albasini:
“I actually was hurting a lot on the second last climb out here in Saint-Imier. But (the final climb) was quite a regular climb. After a really fast first part, the second part was more regular and I could stay in the bunch so I knew I had a good chance in the sprint.
I placed myself well, I always like a little fight going on and I was maybe a little bit too far in the front too early so I was happy the guys from Garmin came around me and I could jump on them.
Still I had to do a long long sprint so I was happy to keep (the lead).
It was disappointing yesterday so I am super happy that we can have the first win today. It makes it a little bit better for the 0.63 of a second we lost yesterday.”
Last year was the first time I won a stage at Tour of Romandie and I thought winning three, I am fine for the next two years. But I am happy to win again, it’s my first win this season so it’s great and especially to win in Switzerland, it’s always nice.”

Riccardo Zoidl:
“I was feeling good today and at the beginning of the last climb there were some attacks and I thought that with the big guys watching each other I could maybe take an opportunity. Maybe that cost me a little because with 500 meters to go to the top I had to go really, really deep to stay with the group.”

RESULTS
STAGE
1 Michael ALBASINI SUI OGE 35 4:21:43
2 Jarlinson PANTANO COL IAM 27 +0
3 Julian ALAPHILIPPE FRA EQS 23 +0
4 Nathan HAAS AUS TCG 26 +0
5 Rui Alberto FARIA DA COSTA POR LAM 29 +0
6 Damiano CARUSO ITA BMC 28 +0
7 Ilnur ZAKARIN RUS KAT 26 +0
8 Ivan SANTAROMITA ITA OGE 31 +0
9 Jan BAKELANTS BEL ALM 29 +0
10 Ramunas NAVARDAUSKAS LTU TCG 27 +0
GC
1 Michael ALBASINI Switzerland OGE 35 4:42:52
2 Ivan SANTAROMITA Italy OGE 31 +10
3 Christopher FROOME Great Britain SKY 30 +10
4 Simon YATES Great Britain OGE 23 +10
5 Ilnur ZAKARIN Russia KAT 26 +15
6 Pavel KOCHETKOV Russia KAT 29 +15
7 Egor SILIN Russia KAT 27 +15
8 Yury TROFIMOV Russia KAT 31 +15

No comments: