5.13.2015

California 3: Surprise!

Embedded image permalink
Toms Skujins:
"The last split I heard was like two minutes. And then I thought this last 2km is going to be insufferable. I didn’t look back at all like the whole race, except for that last kilometre because I was like, ‘No way they are going to catch me.’ It was such a relief to get those last 200 metres, because that’s when I really knew that I going to get it."

Julian Alaphilippe: 
"Today I thought might be a chance to maybe show myself if the condition was there. Voila, my condition was good. I was able to stay in the front group with the best guys. In the end it was clear we couldn't catch Skujins, so congratulations to him for a strong stage. I still wanted to go for the podium on the uphill finish and I did it. Against a guy like Peter Sagan I can be satisfied with a third place. Now I am in the White Jersey for Best Young Rider, and fourth in the GC. Tomorrow begins more chances for sprints with Mark. We'll see what we can do. I'm learning more and more day-by-day, and if there can be an opportunity for me in the next days, why not, we will see what I can do to protect my overall position."

Waiting for Peter Sagan - who finds fun behaving like a child on the podium. I find it NOT fun because that guy IS NOT his team mate and that's probably his best result. Whould you like to have such a picture of such a moment? Or maybe Sagan thinks that he's so cool that the guy should feel honoured?

Peter Sagan:
"It was a good stage for me personally and the entire squad worked very hard. We controlled the race from the start and after the long climb only a small group remained, chasing the breakaway. We pulled very hard to bring back the last rider of the breakaway. Unfortunately, Skujins proved to be very strong and was able to hold on for more than 50km. I did my best and, most importantly, I feel good. The focus is now on the following stages”

REULTS
STAGE
1 Toms Skujins (Lat) Hincapie Racing Team 4:33:10  
2 Peter Sagan (Svk) Tinkoff-Saxo 0:01:06  
3 Julian Alaphilippe (Fra) Etixx - Quick-Step  
4 Daniel Alexander Jaramillo Diez (Col) Jamis - Hagens Berman  
5 Danilo Wyss (Swi) BMC Racing Team 0:01:09  
6 Robert Gesink (Ned) Team LottoNL-Jumbo  
7 Sergio Luis Henao Montoya (Col) Team Sky  
8 Michael Woods (Can) Optum p/b Kelly Benefit Strategies  
9 Lawson Craddock (USA) Team Giant-Alpecin  
10 Joseph Lloyd Dombrowski (USA) Cannondale-Garmin Pro Cycling Team
GC
1 Toms Skujins (Lat) Hincapie Racing Team 14:04:01  
2 Peter Sagan (Svk) Tinkoff-Saxo 0:00:32  
3 Rob Britton (Can) Team SmartStop 0:00:43  
4 Julian Alaphilippe (Fra) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:00:44  
5 Daniel Alexander Jaramillo Diez (Col) Jamis - Hagens Berman  
6 Dion Smith (NZl) Hincapie Racing Team 0:00:47  
7 Robert Gesink (Ned) Team LottoNL-Jumbo  
8 Ben Hermans (Bel) BMC Racing Team  
9 Lawson Craddock (USA) Team Giant-Alpecin  
10 Jay McCarthy (Aus) Tinkoff-Saxo

No comments: