5.15.2015

California: More CAV! (and Zico Waeytens)

Embedded image permalink
Mark Cavendish:
"The thing is, when you're going so fast there's the wind chill as well. It's one thing to be wet and to be cold when you're wet, but with the wind coming on you're freezing to the absolute bone. But it was good. All my teammates, thank you. It was hard to catch them back in the final but my team really looked after me. It was also nice to see so many people out here despite the weather. As for the sprint, I had Mark Renshaw at the end, and as always he was cool and calm, but we had to dig deep. It was a bit hectic in the last kilometer and Mark Renshaw was cooked, so we couldn’t go as fast as we wanted in the end. It was a headwind finish, and I knew I didn’t want to jump early. Waeytens went first and I timed it well enough to catch him before the line. I’m super happy to get the stage win for the team today." 

Embedded image permalinkZico Waeytens:
"2nd !!! I really have to thank the whole team for the support during the days and still believe in me !!! #AmgenTOC"
“The stage went very good. We stayed together as a team in the front of the peloton all day. The team did an excellent job to get me into position in the finale.
I started the sprint from 300 meter, which was a little too early. For a moment I thought I was heading to victory, but Mark [Cavendish] passed me just before the line and I got second. I am very happy with this result.”
Embedded image permalink
Peter Sagan:
“I’d like to thank my teammates for their hard work today, we pulled at the front during the whole day, at times with other teams. It was raining in some parts of the stage but the heaviest rainfall took place on the last 20km and the colder temperatures made it even tougher. Overall, it was a good stage and I could, probably, have finished in a better position but we did our best and we are satisfied with the result. Tomorrow’s shorter time-trial suits me better and I will certainly try to take the yellow jersey”. 

RESULTS
STAGE
1 Mark Cavendish (GBr) Etixx - Quick-Step 3:51:37
2 Zico Waeytens (Bel) Team Giant-Alpecin
3 Peter Sagan (Svk) Tinkoff-Saxo
4 Jempy Drucker (Lux) BMC Racing Team
5 Danny van Poppel (Ned) Trek Factory Racing
6 Guillaume Boivin (Can) Optum p/b Kelly Benefit Strategies
7 John Murphy (USA) UnitedHealthcare Pro Cycling
8 Matthew Harley Goss (Aus) MTN - Qhubeka
9 Mike Teunissen (Ned) Team LottoNL-Jumbo
10 Justin Oien (USA) Axeon Cycling Team
GC
1 Toms Skujins (Lat) Hincapie Racing Team 22:02:34
2 Peter Sagan (Svk) Tinkoff-Saxo 0:00:18
3 Julian Alaphilippe (Fra) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:00:44
4 Robert Gesink (Ned) Team LottoNL-Jumbo 0:00:47
5 Dion Smith (NZl) Hincapie Racing Team
6 Ben Hermans (Bel) BMC Racing Team
7 Lawson Craddock (USA) Team Giant-Alpecin
8 Jay McCarthy (Aus) Tinkoff-Saxo
9 Peter Kennaugh (GBr) Team Sky
10 Janez Brajkovic (Slo) UnitedHealthcare Pro Cycling

No comments: