5.20.2015

Giro 11: Not The Winner You'd Love (solo)

Embedded image permalink
Contador gets off the helmet: penality?
Fight for the Blue Mountain Jersey today and it's no surprise that Intxausti, Betancur and Kruijswijk are in the break-away. Two 3rd category climbs and one 4th are on the route, finally three local laps of 15.4 km including the Tre Monti climb(4th cat). 153 km. Rain.
At the first intermediate sprint Nizzolo is the fastest, then Viviani, Boem, Belkov and Grosu.
Imola F1 circuit
On Passo del Trebbio (3rd cat, 6.3 km, 6.3% average, 11% max) the peloton is still compact. Then four riders manage to excape: Intxausti, Kruijswijk, Rosa and Zakarin. Others joins and they are 13 Berlato, Betancur, Chavanel, Fernández, Hesjedal, Montaguti, Pellizotti, Rutkiewicz and Stortoni. Chavanel, Stortoni and Berlato get dropped and only 10 riders are left in front. Their gap is 3'46 85 km to.
First KOM: Betancur sprints to grab the points and Intxausti isn't happy.
Embedded image permalink70 km to go the peloton split: Team Tinkoff and BMC are in front, Astana in the 2nd, Team Sky in the 3rd. The 2nd group is quickly back, more trouble for the 3rd one. High pace and the gap drops to 1'55. The chasing group is back together. The peloton splits again and the 2nd group is at 3'40'', and behind there are the teams' cars. Risky situation.
Tre Monti for the first time - points are only at the 3rd and last passage.
44 km to go the gap is only 46''.
41 km to go Fernandez gets dropped, then also Montaguti and Rutkiewicz.
Embedded image permalinkBMC made the race so fare but Gilbert doesn't look so well in this finale and nobody else collaborate so it stops pulling and the gap grows again. Stefan Küng is still in front though and gains a gap. The break's advantage is 1'22" 32 km to go. ORICA-GE goes in front.
22 km to go Zakarin attacks. Betancur responds.
14 km to go, crash in the peloton: Uran goes down. Back on bike but his jersey is ripped on his shoulder. Note that the Jury comes to send away the Garmin's car that could maybe help. Uran doesn't freak out and rides back to the peloton.
Embedded image permalinkTre Monti for the last time. Betancur is back with the main break. Zakarin solo in front. Hesjedal asks more collaboration but doesn't get it.
6 km to go Contador attacks, Lobato responds but the Spaniard can takes the descent in front.
Last lap for Zakarin, done. Not the winner you'd love but that is.

About UCI rule on Helmet wearing:
"Article 12.1.040 Scale of penalties
(left-hand column)
3.2 Rider taking the start without the required helmet
1. Elite men's road races in class 4 and above
200 to 10 000, plus
50 points deducted from the UCI individual
classification
2. Other cases: start refused
3.3 Rider removing the obligatory helmet during an event
1. Elite men's road races in class 4 and above
200 to 10 000, plus
50 points deducted from the UCI individual
classification
2. Other cases: expulsion from the race and 100 "


Embedded image permalink
Intxausti new Mountain Jersey
Ilnur Zakarin:
“I started the stage in good heart, and the breakaway riders worked well together. I made one attempt to get away, and at the second try, I made it. I learned a lesson in the stage that Intxausti won because that day I made the mistake of attacking too early. This time, I waited until the last moment. I still can’t believe that I won the Tour de Romandie, and now I’ve won a stage of the Giro. I have many emotions, and I’m very happy.”
Embedded image permalink
Uran's broken helmet

Giant-Alpecin DS Marc Reef: 
“It was a hard day that went up and down constantly from the start. Our plan was to get in the break with Simon, Tobias, Chad, and Caleb, but that didn’t worked out. 10 strong riders got away without us and three of them also were a threat for Simon’s jersey.
After the bunch split we had no one in the first group, but fortunately Simon made the jump to join it. In the finale, 9 riders were in front of the reduced bunch as Simon became 5th of the group and 14th in the stage result. He lost the jersey and is now 2 points behind on leader Intxausti.”

ORICA-GE DS Matt White:
“Today was an incredibly hard stage and it was always going to be. Quite a selective group formed early in the stage and we decided we were going to try to bring it back together on the circuits but we weren’t able to catch Zakarin.
The first person to work was Luke Durbridge who did a big pull for three-quarters of a lap, then Clarke and Chaves did what they could until they had nothing left but we fell a bit short.”

Giacomo Nizzolo:
“Today was more a nightmare than a dream! This stage was really, really, really crazy. We started full gas and the first climbs were really steep and hard. By the time we arrived to the circuit we had a lot of pain in the legs, and I can say that this was one of the hardest stages until now.
Still, I had big emotions when I entered the circuit as everyone knows my passion about motorbikes and cars, so for me here it was really like a dream to ride. After the finish I even went a little bit alone to check some corners!”
Embedded image permalink
Alberto Contador:
“I think every day at the Giro is important. You have to try and get over the bad days and that’s what I made an effort to do. Today it wasn’t the terrain to attack but there were some interesting little details to see, when I accelerated.
There wasn’t much terrain to make a move today but I knew that there were a few riders that weren’t having fun. We didn’t see too much but I could tell that there were a few riders who weren’t feeling so great so I decided to have a go”.
Embedded image permalink
Steven Kruijswijk:
“I always end up in the front of the pack on such a climb. When they try to attack, following is the best choice. You need to have a superb day to win the stage. I didn’t have it today, which meant I had to gamble. The Giro is hard. I’m just trying to take my chance. Next week there will be more stages that will suit me better than today.”

Rigoberto Uran:
"I was riding behind another guy in the peloton. He slowed a bit while changing gears and I touched his wheel. I was immediately on the ground. Fortunately the team car with a new bike wasn't far. So I got on the new bike and my first thought was to chase and come back immediately. I managed to do it. Fortunately I stayed in the peloton until the finish. It is a bit of a pity because after the rest day Monday and flat stage on Tuesday I was recovered a bit from the efforts of the first week while suffering bronchitis. A crash is not the ideal situation for the moment, and of course tomorrow I may feel a bit differently than today as sometimes, as consequences of these crashes, you don't fully feel the effects until the next day or later. But we have to deal with the situation as it is. The Giro continues for me tomorrow."

Beñat Intxausti:
“When I saw the profile today I wanted to have a go. I think it’s important to get points bit by bit for the blue jersey. It was a bit more complicated today to get the win and after Ilnur Zakarin went out it was hard to catch him.
I knew that I had that advantage (of a stage victory) in the breakaway. Zakarin was there and I knew that it would be a very difficult day because he’s so strong. It’s a shame we didn’t try to break him down and get to him, but he did it and well done to him.”

RESULTS
STAGE
1 Ilnur Zakarin (Rus) Team Katusha
2 Carlos Betancur (Col) AG2R La Mondiale
3 Franco Pellizotti (Ita) Androni Giocattoli
4 Benat Intxausti (Spa) Movistar Team
5 Diego Rosa (Ita) Astana Pro Team
6 Steven Kruijswijk (Ned) Team LottoNL-Jumbo
7 Ryder Hesjedal (Can) Cannondale-Garmin Pro Cycling Team
8 Maciej Paterski (Pol) CCC Sprandi Polkowice
9 Philippe Gilbert (Bel) BMC Racing Team
10 Juan Jose Lobato (Spa) Movistar Team
GC
1 Alberto Contador (Spa) Tinkoff-Saxo 46:54:19
2 Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:00:03
3 Mikel Landa Meana (Spa) Astana Pro Team 0:00:46
4 Dario Cataldo (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:01:16
5 Roman Kreuziger (Cze) Tinkoff-Saxo 0:01:46
6 Rigoberto Uran (Col) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:02:10
7 Giovanni Visconti (Ita) Movistar Team 0:02:12
8 Damiano Caruso (Ita) BMC Racing Team 0:02:20
9 Andrey Amador (CRc) Movistar Team 0:02:24
10 Leopold Konig (Cze) Team Sky 0:02:30
11 Davide Formolo (Ita) Cannondale-Garmin Pro Cycling Team 0:03:01
12 Richie Porte (Aus) Team Sky 0:03:09
13 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Nippo - Vini Fantini 0:03:10
14 Darwin Atapuma Hurtado (Col) BMC Racing Team
15 Yury Trofimov (Rus) Team Katusha 0:03:18
16 Jurgen Van Den Broeck (Bel) Lotto Soudal 0:03:33
17 Maxime Monfort (Bel) Lotto Soudal 0:04:00
18 Amaël Moinard (Fra) BMC Racing Team 0:04:19
19 Alexandre Geniez (Fra) FDJ.fr 0:04:41
20 Ion Izagirre (Spa) Movistar Team 0:11:41

No comments: