5.12.2015

Giro 3: SHIT (and PINK)

Embedded image permalink
I was working at school since 2 pm and when I turned my phone on again Pozzovivo's horrific crash was the first thing I saw. "SHIT" I thought. Wouter Weylandt's image  immediately came back to my mind. It was a shock that time, a real deep shock for everybody living it, everywhere. I remember Andy Schleck's reaction from California: Wouter's death left a mark. So now again? "PLEASE NO".
No indead. Fortunately no.
Domenico Pozzovivo est resté de longues minutes au sol après sa chute. (L'Equipe)Cycling is risky. Wouter's crash was just Wouter's fault, we know. As well as Pozzovivo's. It can happen. And it's awful to know.
Michael Matthews won the stage in pink and Fabio Felline got a good 2nd place but honestly I only care about the fact that Pozzovivo is fine. He got a concussion - at least. He's alive. 

Michael Matthews:
“It was only a short stage but they made it quite hard for us. We were lucky we had the two guys in the break from the start so we didn’t have to chase for most of the stage.

Then Simon Gerrans and the boys worked really hard to set me up perfectly for the sprint and I can’t thank them enough.
The Giro d’Italia so far is a dream come true for me.”

Fabio Felline:
“It was a super hard stage, all the time turning left, right, up, and down and all the time on small roads.  When I came to the Giro I had marked this stage red, I knew it was good for me and I was focused on it today. Second is good and I am happy because it confirms my condition, but a victory is a victory and in the Giro it means so much more and is so important for the team. This is my third time that I am second in the Giro.
Matthews was better today, and it was the opposite as in Pais Vasco as this time he grabbed my wheel. But tomorrow is another day. Big thanks again to my teammates who supported me well.”

Team Sky DS Dario Cioni: 
"It was a pretty hard stage today. The roads were really twisting and turning all day and the break went from the gun. The peloton was then chasing straight away so it wasn't easy for anyone out there.
Salva followed a group when it went and got into the break. You never know what can happen and if the race explodes then you have an extra rider up the road. It was a good move to be in.
We got through the stage without any issues and we always had guys around Richie. Tomorrow's stage should be a bit of a repeat of what we've seen today - with another difficult finish."

Domenico Pozzovivo:
“I’m ok but it was a very heavy fall. I don’t remember what happened because I fell. I remember that the descent was difficult and maybe my wheel slipped. I wanted to finish this Giro well and it pains me to leave the race. It was a long night and I even made some plans for the future. I was in the best condition of my life and I’m thinking about returning at the Tour de Suisse and being competitive.”

Dr. Paolo Moscatelli head of the accident and emergency unit at San Martino hospital:
“The CT scan was negative for brain injuries. He has some flesh wounds above and around his right eye. It wasn’t a straightforward or clean wound, so it required some stitches.”

Rigoberto Uran:
"Today was a really nervous stage. It was up-and-down, left-and-right the entire day. We were always in a lined out field. Tinkoff-Saxo set a good tempo the entire day. We had a good day as we stayed on the wheels and lost no time. To be honest I am happy that this stage is behind us. In a stage like this, anything can happen around any corner, like it did with the crash of Pozzovivo. I saw him crash in front of me. I hope that it is nothing serious, and I wish him all the best." 

RESULTS
STAGE
1 Michael Matthews (Aus) Orica GreenEdge 3:33:53
2 Fabio Felline (Ita) Trek Factory Racing
3 Philippe Gilbert (Bel) BMC Racing Team
4 Sergey Lagutin (Rus) Team Katusha
5 Paolo Tiralongo (Ita) Astana Pro Team
6 Luca Paolini (Ita) Team Katusha
7 Francesco Gavazzi (Ita) Southeast Pro Cycling
8 Enrico Battaglin (Ita) Bardiani CSF
9 Luis Leon Sanchez (Spa) Astana Pro Team
10 Jonathan Monsalve (Ven) Southeast Pro Cycling
GC
1 Michael Matthews (Aus) Orica GreenEdge 8:06:27
2 Simon Clarke (Aus) Orica GreenEdge 0:00:06
3 Simon Gerrans (Aus) Orica GreenEdge 0:00:10
4 Esteban Chaves (Col) Orica GreenEdge
5 Roman Kreuziger (Cze) Tinkoff-Saxo 0:00:17
6 Alberto Contador (Spa) Tinkoff-Saxo
7 Michael Rogers (Aus) Tinkoff-Saxo
8 Paolo Tiralongo (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:00:23
9 Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team
10 Diego Rosa (Ita) Astana Pro Team
11 Luis Leon Sanchez (Spa) Astana Pro Team
12 Dario Cataldo (Ita) Astana Pro Team
13 Mikel Landa Meana (Spa) Astana Pro Team
14 Philippe Gilbert (Bel) BMC Racing Team 0:00:25
15 Rigoberto Uran (Col) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:00:29
16 Maxime Bouet (Fra) Etixx - Quick-Step
17 Ion Izagirre (Spa) Movistar Team 0:00:31
18 Andrey Amador (CRc) Movistar Team
19 Giovanni Visconti (Ita) Movistar Team
20 Benat Intxausti (Spa) Movistar Team
21 Fabio Felline (Ita) Trek Factory Racing 0:00:33
Jerseys
Maglia Rosa: Michael Matthews 
Maglia Azzura: Pavel Kochetkov
Maglia Rossa: Elia Viviani 
Maglia Bianca:  Michael Matthews 

No comments: