5.13.2015

Giro 5: Fire Works and Burnt Hopes

Embedded image permalink
The winner
Crucial day on the Abetone uphill finish. As expected and even more. Burned hopes for Rigoberto Uran and Jurgen Van den Broek. Fire works for Contador, Porte and Aru.
There was a break-away - Chavanel, Dillier, Domont, Polanc and Tvetcov. Malaguti - and Jan Polanc crossed the line solo. 
Embedded image permalink
The break-away
Embedded image permalink
The favourites attack
Behind, the big show: Contador attacked 4 km to go, Aru and Porte followed. Landa joined. They quickly  caught Chavanel but he resisted for 2nd. Aru sprinted to 3rd, and Contador 4th grabbed the Pink Jersey. 
The race is just at the begining but the favourites are already just three.

Jan Polanc:
“The day I came to the Giro, I turned 23, so this is a wonderful birthday present. It feels strange, and hard to believe. I don’t think I’ll sleep tonight.
My legs were good today, and my goal was to build a big lead, and then worry about who was the strongest. I’m a good climber, but the climb isn’t steep and Chavanel is a good rider. When I was on my own they told me the chase behind was fast, but when I heard my gap I knew that I would win.”
Embedded image permalink
The Pink Jersey

Alberto Contador:
Uran  got dropped
“My attack wasn’t planned. I felt good, looked around, and went. Aru and Richie Porte are strong, but Urán and others were dropped and I’m happy with the situation after five days. I didn’t expect the Maglia Rosa, but to have it is always fantastic. It’s a nice present, and a real honour.
I love the Giro d’Italia, the people and the country, and to wear the Maglia Rosa tomorrow during the stage will be fantastic,” he said. The one that counts is the Maglia Rosa in Milan, so if someone else takes it tomorrow, it won’t be a problem.”

Fabio Felline:
“I was looking to see how I would go on the final climb as sometimes the race does not go so fast and so I have the possibility to try for a result. But it was a big battle and in the last two kilometers I was dropped.  Even though I didn’t get a result I had a good climb, and that was good for my confidence. Like everyday we will now see for the next appointment.”
Embedded image permalink
Aru in White

Steven Kruijswijk:
“It was quite hard to turn the knob after yesterday, as it was a bad day. I lost eight minutes, because the peloton in front of me split at a bad moment. I gave all I had to re-connect and still suffered from those efforts
I tried to bring back that good feeling today. I was able to hold on for a reasonable time, but eventually I was dropped because of yesterday’s hard work.
I want to keep going and see how far I can get. I want to improve and to show myself with an attack in the difficult days, as my legs are fine. A long flight could also be beneficial for my overall.”

Embedded image permalink
Polanc in Blue
Rigoberto Uran:
“It wasn’t good to lose time, it never is. I hope to be able to get it back in the third week.
This hasn’t been an easy start, yesterday [Tuesday] I already lost time and today some more. But there is still a long way to go. The Giro is full of opportunities.”

RESULTS
STAGE
1 Jan Polanc (Slo) Lampre-Merida 4:09:18
2 Sylvain Chavanel (Fra) IAM Cycling 0:01:31
3 Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team
4 Alberto Contador (Spa) Tinkoff-Saxo
5 Richie Porte (Aus) Team Sky
6 Mikel Landa Meana (Spa) Astana Pro Team 0:01:44
7 Dario Cataldo (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:01:53
8 Yury Trofimov (Rus) Team Katusha
9 Damiano Caruso (Ita) BMC Racing Team
10 Darwin Atapuma Hurtado (Col) BMC Racing Team
11 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Nippo - Vini Fantini  
12 Andrey Amador (CRc) Movistar Team
13 Leopold Konig (Cze) Team Sky
14 Silvan Dillier (Swi) BMC Racing Team
15 Ryder Hesjedal (Can) Cannondale-Garmin Pro Cycling Team
16 Roman Kreuziger (Cze) Tinkoff-Saxo
17 Rigoberto Uran (Col) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:01:59
18 Przemyslaw Niemiec (Pol) Lampre-Merida 0:02:06
19 Ion Izagirre (Spa) Movistar Team
20 Sébastien Reichenbach (Swi) IAM Cycling 0:02:15
GC
1 Alberto Contador (Spa) Tinkoff-Saxo 16:05:54
2 Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:00:02
Embedded image permalink
Viviani still in Red
3 Richie Porte (Aus) Team Sky 0:00:20
4 Roman Kreuziger (Cze) Tinkoff-Saxo 0:00:22
5 Dario Cataldo (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:00:28
6 Esteban Chaves (Col) Orica GreenEdge 0:00:37
7 Giovanni Visconti (Ita) Movistar Team 0:00:56
8 Mikel Landa Meana (Spa) Astana Pro Team 0:01:01
9 Davide Formolo (Ita) Cannondale-Garmin Pro Cycling Team 0:01:15
10 Andrey Amador (CRc) Movistar Team 0:01:18
11 Damiano Caruso (Ita) BMC Racing Team 0:01:22
12 Rigoberto Uran (Col) Etixx - Quick-Step
13 Leopold Konig (Cze) Team Sky 0:01:24
14 Yury Trofimov (Rus) Team Katusha
15 Amaël Moinard (Fra) BMC Racing Team 0:01:46
16 Darwin Atapuma Hurtado (Col) BMC Racing Team 0:01:49
17 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Nippo - Vini Fantini 0:02:12
18 Simon Clarke (Aus) Orica GreenEdge 0:02:21
19 Jurgen Van Den Broeck (Bel) Lotto Soudal 0:02:27
20 Alexandre Geniez (Fra) FDJ.fr 0:02:33

No comments: