5.14.2015

Giro 6: Ouch!

Embedded image permalink
The first breakers
There was a break-away - Bandiera, Malaguti, Marangoni, Grosu and Rutkiewicz - but it was going to be a bunch sprint in this all falt stage and everybody knew.

Embedded image permalink
Crash!
A sprint it has been and Greipel won it. The fact is Alberto Contador, in Pink, crashed because of a spectator, in the last meters of the race. The worst was for Daniele Colli.
No way. You need high barriers in the last kms and yes, I agree: lets take the gc time 3 km to go. 

Embedded image permalink
Win
Contador sufferend for a double dislocation and he'll decide tomorrow about the start. On the stage he couldn't stand the pain of wearing the Jersey so... well... we'll. 
It's a pity and a real shame.


Alberto Contador:
“I haven’t broken anything but I have suffered a dislocation of the left shoulder. The doctors have recommended that I immobilize my left arm during the evening and night, while I try to move it a bit with the help of my other arm to promote the movement of the shoulder. I will focus on this until tomorrow before the stage, where the doctors will come back to put on a layer of bandage for the race. I will try to start tomorrow on stage 7, as I have worked very hard ahead of the Giro. I will try to continue until the very last moment. I’m optimistic about the start tomorrow, but we have to wait until right before the start to see what happens and how serious the effect of the crash is”.

Andre Greipel:
“It all worked in the way we were planning this morning on the bus.[Teammates] Lars Bak was very focused and he kept me on the front, he did a really long pull, and then for four guys to do the last three kilometres in front was really impressive. Adam Hansen worked from 1,200 metres to 600 metres to the line, then Henderson did a long, long lead-out.
“[On stage two] the finish line came too late. Well, I started too early, it was slightly uphill and I was passed before the line.
I have to add that Viviani and Moreno Hofland (Lotto NL-Jumbo, third in the Genoa sprint) are not so slow, eh? They are really fast guys, really good sprinters, so it’s not all about me.
Embedded image permalink
He just holds it 
I would just say one word: respect. Everybody should respect the guy next to him. I didn’t see what happened, I just saw [crash victim Daniele] Colli (Vini Fantini) near the barrier. Sometimes crashes are part of our job and hopefully everyone can start tomorrow. At the end, it all happened behind me, we were concentrated to stay in front. My team did a really good job to keep me out of trouble.
Our job is to get over the line stage by stage, and that’s cycling – getting from A to B. And if a crash happens in the last three kilometres, everybody gets the same time, so it’s hard to make a decision about it.
Safety is always a big thing, and like I said before, it’s about respect for the rider beside you and about fair play.”

RESULTS
STAGE
1 André Greipel (Ger) Lotto Soudal 4:19:42
2 Matteo Pelucchi (Ita) IAM Cycling
3 Sacha Modolo (Ita) Lampre-Merida
4 Manuel Belletti (Ita) Southeast Pro Cycling
5 Giacomo Nizzolo (Ita) TrekRacing
6 Alessandro Petacchi (Ita) Southeast Pro Cycling
7 Elia Viviani (Ita) Team Sky
8 Luka Mezgec (Slo) Team Giant-Alpecin
9 Nicola Ruffoni (Ita) Bardiani CSF
10 Davide Appollonio (Ita) Androni Giocattoli
GC
1 Alberto Contador (Spa) Tinkoff-Saxo 20:25:36
2 Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:00:02
3 Richie Porte (Aus) Team Sky 0:00:20
4 Roman Kreuziger (Cze) Tinkoff-Saxo 0:00:22
5 Dario Cataldo (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:00:28
6 Esteban Chaves (Col) Orica GreenEdge 0:00:37
7 Giovanni Visconti (Ita) Movistar Team 0:00:56
8 Mikel Landa Meana (Spa) Astana Pro Team 0:01:01
9 Davide Formolo (Ita) Cannondale-Garmin Pro Cycling Team 0:01:15
10 Andrey Amador (CRc) Movistar Team 0:01:18

MAGLIA ROSA – BALOCCO – Alberto Contador (TINKOFF SAXO)
MAGLIA ROSSA – ALGIDA – André Greipel ( LOTTO SOUDAL )
MAGLIA AZZURRA – BANCA MEDIOLANUM – Jan Polanc (LAMPRE - MERIDA )
MAGLIA BIANCA – EUROSPIN – Fabio Aru  (ASTANA PRO TEAM)

No comments: